Is it all about calories?

Options
Is dieting literally all about calories? Obviously i know there are certain things you NEED in your diet to be healthy and to keep a healthy metabolism.
But if there was one thing i loved, for instance chocolate.. and i'd had a day where i'd only eaten like 1100 cals and i had say, 600 left.. would it be terrible for me to fill up that 500 cals by eating chocolate? haha i wouldnt actually do that.. i'm just curious.

I find it hard to fill up my daily calorie goal and sometimes its at like 8pm and ive got loads of fruit, yoghurt, chocolate and bits and bobs i crave, but i'm not that 'hungry' and feel like i shouldn't eat them.

also, i mean this question in the sense that, say i was having an off day like, it was someones birthday or something and i'd had cake for lunch, would it be okay, as long as i don't over do it on the cals for dinner? hmmmmmmm

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Is dieting literally all about calories? Obviously i know there are certain things you NEED in your diet to be healthy and to keep a healthy metabolism.
    But if there was one thing i loved, for instance chocolate.. and i'd had a day where i'd only eaten like 1100 cals and i had say, 600 left.. would it be terrible for me to fill up that 500 cals by eating chocolate? haha i wouldnt actually do that.. i'm just curious.

I find it hard to fill up my daily calorie goal and sometimes its at like 8pm and ive got loads of fruit, yoghurt, chocolate and bits and bobs i crave, but i'm not that 'hungry' and feel like i shouldn't eat them.

also, i mean this question in the sense that, say i was having an off day like, it was someones birthday or something and i'd had cake for lunch, would it be okay, as long as i don't over do it on the cals for dinner? hmmmmmmm

I'm going to try and provide a one stop answer to summarize all of the above, assuming you do not have any medical conditions that require you to eliminate or restrict certain foods:

Hit your calorie and macronutrient goals (protein/carb/fat).
    Select "mostly" whole and minimally processed foods and allow yourself "some" junk food like cake or chocolate.

In other words eat mostly "heatlhy" foods and let yourself have your treats.

And don't make it any more complicated than that.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    And depriving yourself of something for no good reason doesn't often end well
  • emg9
    emg9 Posts: 112
    Options
    thats the answer i was hoping for.. haha! thanks
  • txlissa62
    txlissa62 Posts: 128
    Options
    I've been doing just fine allowing myself to have treats now and then. Sometimes I find myself with a lot of calories left, so I'm able to have ice cream. It hasn't hurt me at all.
  • susiebear29
    susiebear29 Posts: 266
    Options
    CHOCOLATE IS GOOD!!! (in moderation of course!!) :smile:
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options

I'm going to try and provide a one stop answer to summarize all of the above, assuming you do not have any medical conditions that require you to eliminate or restrict certain foods:

Hit your calorie and macronutrient goals (protein/carb/fat).
    Select "mostly" whole and minimally processed foods and allow yourself "some" junk food like cake or chocolate.

In other words eat mostly "heatlhy" foods and let yourself have your treats.

And don't make it any more complicated than that.

The thread should have ended here. Well said.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Of course not.
    Mere weight loss is about calories and nothing else, but optimal health is about clean eating as well.
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    If it had ended, nobody else would've seen it
  • AllisonST
    AllisonST Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I want to add that - while keeping within healthful eating and calorie limits - I also am trying to listen to my body. I don't just eat back calories because I am "supposed to." If I am not hungry, I don't eat. This is a somewhat-controversial topic on these boards, but for me, part of the overeating comes from not listening to my body cues.
  • emg9
    Options
    that's the problem i have. I eat breakfast, i'm full. I eat healthy lunch, i'm full, and then i eat dinner. My calories never add up to my limit. I'm normally left with like 500 or something, i'm concerned this will muck up my metabolism? but i don't want to eat more for the sake of it when i'm not hungry.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    And here I thought it was all about the benjamins.
  • emg9
    Options

'calories' is dieting lingo. we're not all experts.
  • A_Valerie
    A_Valerie Posts: 129 Member
    Options

i think she was joking, benjamins are $100 bills
  • IronSmasher
    Options

i think he was joking, benjamins are $100 bills

She was joking... and so was she
  • emg9
    Options

i think he was joking, benjamins are $100 bills

She was joking... and so was she

hahah
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you have trouble getting enough calories, then you should start eating higher calorie items: nuts, avocado, cooking all meats in extra virgin olive oil or my personal favorite, taking a spoon and peanut butter jar and digging in. There are a few potential issue long term if you consistently under eat; lose of lean body mass and your metabolism will slow down as it will adapt.