HG's Jalapeno Swappers

Options
Healthier_Me
Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
Pop 'Til Ya Drop!
HG loves a challenge, and coming up with a rockin' swap for this cheesy fried finger food was slightly tricky. Luckily, our favorite fiber-packed cereal saved the day (as usual). BTW, if you've never tried fake-frying by baking items covered in low-calorie cereal crumbs, DO IT NOW!!! (Sorry, got carried away there.) HG Tip: Bake up a batch (or two - they'll go fast!) this Super Bowl Sunday, and you and your poppers will be the life of the party. Touchdown, HG!

Ingredients:

5 whole, fresh jalapenos

1/4 cup fat-free cream cheese

1/4 cup shredded fat-free cheddar cheese

1/2 cup Fiber One cereal

1/4 cup Egg Beaters, Original

Optional: salt, pepper and/or garlic powder

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Halve the jalapenos lengthwise, and remove the seeds, stems, and membranes (HG Heads Up: Be VERY careful when handling jalapenos; wash hands frequently and well, and avoid touching your face and eyes). Wash halves and dry them very well; set aside. Next, stir to combine cream cheese and cheese shreds. If desired, season cheese mixture with salt, pepper, and/or garlic powder. Using a blender, grind Fiber One to a breadcrumb-like consistency. If you like, season crumbs with salt, pepper, and/or garlic powder. Place crumbs in one small dish and Egg Beaters in another. Stuff each pepper half with cheese mixture. Next, carefully coat both sides of each pepper half with Egg Beaters, and then with Fiber One crumbs. Place peppers on a baking pan sprayed with nonstick spray, and place in oven. Cook for 25 minutes (for very spicy poppers) to 30 minutes (medium-hot poppers). Makes 10 poppers.

Serving Size: 5 poppers

Calories: 124

Fat: 1g

Sodium: 500mg

Carbs: 23g

Fiber: 8g

Sugars: 5g

Protein: 13g

*2 Points!

**Compare to:
Arby's Jalapeno Bites, Regular Size

Serving Size: 1 regular-sized order; 5 poppers

Calories: 305

Fat: 21g

Sodium: 526mg

Carbs: 29g

Fiber: 2g

Sugars: 3g

Protein: 5g

*7 Points

http://www.hungry-girl.com/chew/chewdetails.php?isid=1014

Replies

• Healthier_Me
    Options
    Pop 'Til Ya Drop!
    HG loves a challenge, and coming up with a rockin' swap for this cheesy fried finger food was slightly tricky. Luckily, our favorite fiber-packed cereal saved the day (as usual). BTW, if you've never tried fake-frying by baking items covered in low-calorie cereal crumbs, DO IT NOW!!! (Sorry, got carried away there.) HG Tip: Bake up a batch (or two - they'll go fast!) this Super Bowl Sunday, and you and your poppers will be the life of the party. Touchdown, HG!

Ingredients:

5 whole, fresh jalapenos

1/2 cup Fiber One cereal

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Halve the jalapenos lengthwise, and remove the seeds, stems, and membranes (HG Heads Up: Be VERY careful when handling jalapenos; wash hands frequently and well, and avoid touching your face and eyes). Wash halves and dry them very well; set aside. Next, stir to combine cream cheese and cheese shreds. If desired, season cheese mixture with salt, pepper, and/or garlic powder. Using a blender, grind Fiber One to a breadcrumb-like consistency. If you like, season crumbs with salt, pepper, and/or garlic powder. Place crumbs in one small dish and Egg Beaters in another. Stuff each pepper half with cheese mixture. Next, carefully coat both sides of each pepper half with Egg Beaters, and then with Fiber One crumbs. Place peppers on a baking pan sprayed with nonstick spray, and place in oven. Cook for 25 minutes (for very spicy poppers) to 30 minutes (medium-hot poppers). Makes 10 poppers.

*2 Points!

**Compare to:

*7 Points

• kerikitkat
    kerikitkat Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Making these tonight!!!

I am going to be SOOO excited if they're good. I :heart: Sonic's poppers! :devil:
  • sgtinvincible
    sgtinvincible Posts: 2,559
    Options
    Pop 'Til Ya Drop!

Ingredients:

5 whole, fresh jalapenos

1/2 cup Fiber One cereal

Directions:

*2 Points!

**Compare to:

*7 Points

:love: Joanna, if you weren't married, I would be proposing to you right now. :love: So psyched to try these. Thanks!
  • Healthier_Me
    Options
    Pop 'Til Ya Drop!

Ingredients:

5 whole, fresh jalapenos

1/2 cup Fiber One cereal

Directions:

*2 Points!

**Compare to:

*7 Points

:love: Joanna, if you weren't married, I would be proposing to you right now. :love: So psyched to try these. Thanks!
    :blushing: :tongue:
  • kimmerlyjo
    kimmerlyjo Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    OMG I would SOOOOOOOOOOOO love to try these! Unfortunately Jalapenos are about $12-$14 a pound at the commissary on base here in Japan!
  • pauladavies86
    pauladavies86 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    yay!! I love jalapeno poppers!! I'm so excited! I'm going to the commissary to buy the ingrediants tomorrow!! thanks! (plus, I should be getting the HG cookbook in around a week in the mail. :love: )
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    :heart: :heart: YUM!! :heart: :heart:

I'm gonna try growing jalepeno's this summer. Recipe printed & saved!!

Thanks!!! :drinker:
  • Healthier_Me
    Options
    Very welcome everyone... Enjoy!:bigsmile:

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Dangit, I have spent so much money in the grocery store this week and now i have to go spend even more!? :grumble:

:laugh:
  • cupcakes8kr
    cupcakes8kr Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    bumping
  • Healthier_Me
    Options
    Dangit, I have spent so much money in the grocery store this week and now i have to go spend even more!? :grumble:

:laugh:
    :bigsmile:
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    mmmmmmm:tongue: hey tim/chief....can your people make us these too!!!???? pleeeeeease! lol

hugs!
  • kerikitkat
    Options
    These were awesome!! The only thing I would change is that the Fiber One cereal is sweet, which is kind of strange if you are expecting a spicy bready jalopeno popper.

So good though!! :love:
  • Healthier_Me
    Options
    Add some "hotness" to the egg beaters next time.
    I'm so gald you liked them. I just might do these for hubbz but will use bread crumbs.. thanks for the feedback! :bigsmile:

• chimpoco
    chimpoco Posts: 193
    Options
    I am so trying these.
  • pauladavies86
    Options
    I made these yesterday but they didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped. The fiber one was not a good substitute breading... I may try to make them without the breading and just a bit more filling because I used really big jalapenos.
  • Healthier_Me
    Options
    How about using Panko?

• kerikitkat
    Options
    I'm gonna go with breadcrumbs next time for sure. They were good and spicy though, I made sure to season everything really well. omg the filling was fantastic!
  • pauladavies86
    Options
    How about using Panko?

I had to look that up because I didn't know what it was. :laugh: That may be a good option; does it taste more like regular bread crumbs? is it healthy at all? I agree with keri that the filling was really good!
  • Healthier_Me
    Options
    I've never tried Panko but have heard good things about it.