Need some healthy lunch ideas for my hubby

Options
determined2lose89
determined2lose89 Posts: 342 Member
My hubby is a mechanic in a truck shop. He doesn't like to take lunch breaks because he doesn't get paid for them/or he's just too busy. So, this means his lunches are shovelled in quick time. He wants to lose weight so I'm looking for some meal ideas that are super quick and easy.

What I currently make him (he won't eat what I eat because you have to sit down and eat it and it takes time-ie: salads):
-Sandwiches on a whole wheat bun
-Give him cut up veggies (which I have a hunch he doesn't eat)
-Low calorie yogurt cups
-Fresh fruit salad
-Leftovers from the night before (that he eats cold because he doesn't take the time to warm it up....:mad:)

I'd appreciate any ideas that he can shovel in quick time. :smile:

Replies

• Rory_123
    Rory_123 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    My fav lunches on the go are sandwiches and wraps, or mixed bean and whole grain salads with some chopped dried fruit and nuts.
  • onikonor
    onikonor Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    My fiance is in the same boat! The is a service technician and is always traveling. I always ask him what he prefers for lunch and most of the time he says sandwich.

I do pretty much what you do:
    -Sandwiches on a whole wheat or rye bread. I always make sure to put 2 slices of cheese because if it's too plain he won't eat it.
    - Sometimes I make empanadas and bake them, which are easy to hold and eat
    -Give him cut up veggies or fruit (mostly carrots or strawberries)
    - Sometimes leftovers which he also eats cold
    - cold salads are also nice (quinoa salad with peppers and curry powder) with a piece of fish or chicken
    - He loves YOP yogurt since it's drinkable and portable
  • SueD66
    SueD66 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    mine gets in his lunch, he is a truck driver, fresh fruit, yogurt with toss away spoon, sandwiches which he loves, and i make them on gluten free wraps. He has to have a GF diet so that is a challenge also. I like the idea of cut up fresh veggies. think i'll try that one.
  • Anniel88
    Anniel88 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    My fiancé is in construction so he is in a similar situation. However, he’s burning a lot of calories and really needs to eat a healthy lunch. He either ends up grabbing fast food or pigging out at dinner because he hadn’t eaten anything all day. (Neither of which is a good option.)

I bought him a lunch box, but I have a feeling until we’re living together and I’m making his lunches, things aren’t going to change! I’d appreciate any ideas you have as well that I can pass along to him.
  • miniberger
    miniberger Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    When the weather gets cooler, soup in a thermos might work. He can just open it and "drink" it... and it should still be hot by lunchtime...
  • uhlu
    uhlu Posts: 3
    Options
    honey nut cheerios in a bag
    baby carrots
    trail mix
    almonds/peanuts
    cube cheese or string cheese
    nature valley granola bars
    2 ham sandwiches on whole wheat

my dad lost a bunch of weight and he's the same way, no lunch breaks. those above were his every day staples, then when he got home EVERY SINGLE DAY he had a banana with peanut butter. he was able to get off his diabetes meds and now (seven years later) he is still managing it with diet.