Seitan ideas (vegetarian meat substitue)

Options
pamperedlinny
pamperedlinny Posts: 1,561 Member
I really want to try cooking with Seitan (a vegetarian meat substitute). I found an easy recipe to make the seitan and a few recipes on how to cook it once I have it. But I wanted to know if any of you had any tried and true recipes for me to try out first.

For anyone that doesn't know seitan is the same kind of deal that tofuky deli slices are made out of. It's not tofu but it's not real meat either. A serving precooked is only about 29 calories and a batch makes about 8 servings.

Thanks to any vegetarians out there than can help!

Replies

• PixiePickle
    PixiePickle Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    to be honest I'd never heard of it before. I usually stick to Quorn products, bean based stuff and chickpeas. I also do actually eat fish. Good luck with it though, let me know how it goes
    :happy:
  • RenovatingSuzanne
    Options
    I regularly make the Simple Seitan from Veganomicon. You can find it here http://www.theppk.com/2009/11/homemade-seitan/
    I have to book and it doesn't have lemon juice in the recipe so I have never included it.

There is another great recipe for veggie lunch "meat" on Vegan Dad. It's not seitan but it's delicious. http://vegandad.blogspot.ca/2008/06/veggie-lunch-meat.html

I often reheat a slice or two with a little bbq sauce for a "pulled pork" type sandwich.

Enjoy!
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Second vote here for the Veganomicon seitan!

I would, however, check your nutritional stats - a serving of homemade seitan is usually around 150-200 calories with 25-30g protein. Still delicious and a great source of protein, but just giving you a heads up! :)

Seitan is so delicious and versatile. I've made peppersteak with it, kebabs, "beef" and broccoli, but most of the time I just cut it into slabs, sautee in some no-calorie spray and eat it with a baked sweet potato.
  • mollydubs
    mollydubs Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I put seitan in almost everything I cook. Then I write about it. Normal stuff.

if you need some ideas: www.quicheaweek.wordpress.com