Hard work gone to waste :(

Options
I have been going through ups and downs in weight since last April (2011). I started out 124, then got down to 116, then back to 128 then it rose this winter to 136. This January I got back to 130, then regained it. Then again in March. And then finally, I started again this May, and by the end of June I was down to 125! I was so excited. But somehow, I am back. I couldn't be more frusturated. Over the fourth I guess I just let go a little too much and have been in denial. But tonight, I finally weighed myself and I back to 135. I'm so upset and angry with myself, literally to tears, and I was wondering if yall might have some advice? I'm still young, only 18. But this has been a struggle for me for a long time, and it is really affecting how I feel. Ultimately, I want to get back to 115. But, it is so hard to psych myself back up when it has been such hard work. Seeing it all go to waste so quickly has really gotten me down. Also, in 2 weeks I am travelling to Asia for a month, and I am super worried since I won't be able to track any calories or be able to weigh myself. So any advice?

Replies

• theNurseNancy
    Options
    Get a more accurate scale and drink lots more water.
  • mk345
    mk345 Posts: 24
    Options
    why a more accurate scale?
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Frankly, if I were in your shoes, I don't think I'd really focus on "weight loss" as much as learning to eat healthy and be fit. If you do that, the weight loss will come over time, though maybe not as fast as you'd like. The reason I say this is because it's obvious you've been thinking about this as "something I'll do till I lose the weight". Once you get there, I'm guessing you go back to "eating normally", but your "normal" just isn't working for you! If you want to lose the weight and have it stick once and for all, you need to learn what you should and shouldn't eat, as well as find activities you can do to keep yourself more active all the time.

Finally, take it slow and don't try to change everything all at once! Pick one or two small changes and do those things (and only those things), till they are part of your new "normal" Once those are perfected, then add one or two more changes and continue the cycle. It will be slower this way, but it should make it lifelong, instead of a quick fix that never stays.
  • theNurseNancy
    Options
    A 10 lb gain over a week or so is not accurate. And if it were, it would be almost entirely water weight.
  • SocWkrBee
    SocWkrBee Posts: 374
    Options
    Frankly, if I were in your shoes, I don't think I'd really focus on "weight loss" as much as learning to eat healthy and be fit. If you do that, the weight loss will come over time, though maybe not as fast as you'd like. The reason I say this is because it's obvious you've been thinking about this as "something I'll do till I lose the weight". Once you get there, I'm guessing you go back to "eating normally", but your "normal" just isn't working for you! If you want to lose the weight and have it stick once and for all, you need to learn what you should and shouldn't eat, as well as find activities you can do to keep yourself more active all the time.

Finally, take it slow and don't try to change everything all at once! Pick one or two small changes and do those things (and only those things), till they are part of your new "normal" Once those are perfected, then add one or two more changes and continue the cycle. It will be slower this way, but it should make it lifelong, instead of a quick fix that never stays.

I was going to say this! OP it seems that when you hit your goal weight, you forget what you did to get there. You still have to maintain a healthy lifestyle in order to sustain the weight loss.
  • mk345
    Options
    A 10 lb gain over a week or so is not accurate. And if it were, it would be almost entirely water weight.
    well its been 2, (since the 3rd of july). and if its water weight does that mean I really didn't gain it all or what? How do I lose it
  • mk345
    Options

I was going to say this! OP it seems that when you hit your goal weight, you forget what you did to get there. You still have to maintain a healthy lifestyle in order to sustain the weight loss.
    thanks for all this great advice! and no I have had the same goal for over a year, which i have never hit. so its more that i just get into funks and eat badly
  • ameliasnelling
    Options
    The more water you drink the more you'll lose. I lost 4 pounds in a few days because of water weight. I wasn't drinking enough and it is so hot here (103 today, normal temp, not heat index) and I just swelled. Make sure you're drinking at least 64 oz. of water every single day and this does not include coffee, milk, juice, etc.

Also, I think you need to relax a bit. I find when I freak out about weight that's when I start gaining more and then I freak out more and just get caught in this ugly circle.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? What are you doing to lose weight? Are you working out? Lifting?

It sucks, it really does. I've lost just to gain it back too, but now I am doing it with a new mindset.
  • mk345
    Options
    How tall are you? What are you doing to lose weight? Are you working out? Lifting?

It sucks, it really does. I've lost just to gain it back too, but now I am doing it with a new mindset.

I am 5'4" and I run, use the elliptical, and do nike training club workouts. I also swim, play tennis, and field hockey during the school year. When I was losing the weight most recently, I was working out 5 or 6 times a week- and now I have really fallen off that track
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options

Yo-yoing really does suck. I did it for years, too, only over longer periods of time. It definitely takes a new mindset to make permanent changes. Sounds like you're an emotional eater (like many of us!), so I would suggest you start looking into finding other ways of handling your emotions. It's the hardest change I've made, and I still have bad days, but I'm doing it. And you can, too. Message and/or request me if you'd like, I'm here for support! :flowerforyou: