Lacking discipline

Options
i am having such a hard time tracking. When I do it and do it right I see results right away. So why is it so hard to just do it? Do any of y'all struggle with this as well?

Replies

• fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I eventually stopped tracking, but I still push myself. I think I tracked for about six weeks and then decided to let it go. Once I knew roughly how much I should be eating and how much I should push myself with my workouts, I didn't need to log it anymore.
  • pennyrtyler
    pennyrtyler Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Are you using a phone or a computer? I know that I really prefer using my computer because my phone is just a pain in general. Also - make good friends, and participate in the community conversations as well. That helps me.
  • lindsy721
    lindsy721 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    always :-) It just has to become a habit, then it gets easier. Think of the progress you see when you stick with it - let that motivate you.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    tracking absolutely everything has been the # 1 key factor in my success. You just have to make it a priority.
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I find it much easier to do with a phone as I go along. I guess it's about just making it a habit.
  • Nunziata29
    Options
    Omg....I feel the same way. I ask myself why all the time. I wish I could find an answer and solution.
  • crysiebrown
    crysiebrown Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Do you have the app for your phone? That's how I stay on it, it's on my phone and real easy to get to at anytime. I think if I was doing it on the computer I wouldn't stick with it as much. I would definitely recommend the app.
  • erinxo13
    erinxo13 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I find tracking on my phone so much easier, I can do it anywhere at any time and don't have to turn the computer on. I started out with a friend who had signed up a few days before me and we just motivate each other.. maybe add some more friends and get some more motivation, I know its hard but keep trying. :D
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Good point. I have been wondering how long I am going to record everything. Coming up on like a year now. Got to goal weight and all the NSV's are all good. Stopped for a month or so doing the gym thing, mostly because of a project that also involves physical work.I am not gaining weight, in fact still just moderating around goal weight up and down a pound or two. In short, I still find value in tracking all the in and out. For how long, not sure. It is difficult to abandon a successful model so I think I will stay on it a bit longer and spend the 15 or so min's a day needed. My view.
  • Kari_L_Moore
    Kari_L_Moore Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I use the app on my phone. I like to compare all the numbers day by day or week by week. It's like scoring myself, and I always want to get a good score. Losing 6 lbs so far helps me stay with it. It's still a challenge, but I don't dread it.
  • lish0710
    lish0710 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have been tracking on my computer this past week and I have been so much more successful! I also know that if you plan ahead and know what you are eating for lunch and/or dinner to go ahead and enter it in the am then you will be more apt to stick to the plan.
    Hope this helps!
  • cali914
    cali914 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Tracking sucks... So does the discipline of eating right and exercising, it all sucks, that's why it's so easy to be undisciplined. But everyone has a reason as to why they are here trying. Ingrain it in your head that tracking is going to help you accomplish whatever goal it is you have (make sure you set one and meet it, it's a form of self-motivation).

I suggest making your first goal to track for 10 days straight... EVERYTHING! You'll see how quick and helpful it can be while setting a good habit.
  • faithchange
    faithchange Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I hate tracking too, however it has helped me tremendously! Keep your eyes on the prize, although a chore now just think how happier you'll be when you see the end results. I find that it motivates me more to eat healthier too, when I know how much fat, calories, carbs, sodium and protein I'm allowed. It pushes me to do my workouts that much better too. :)
  • hornedfrog11
    Options
    Y'all are so great! It's so nice to be able to connect with everyone and get your feedback. Thank you!
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Tracking worked for me in the beginning when I was still got a lot of fat to lose. Then upped my settings when I reached my goal but then decided to do bulk/cut cycle. At first I decided to build muscle first so I again upped my calories to gain 1/2 lb. a week. After sometime I then thought of cutting (fat loss) to reveal those muscles that I built & that's where the problem started since I'm now so used to eating many foods that when I shifted my settings to 200 calories below my TDEE, I'm now having hard time tracking everything & that I would always ended up having a surplus, not to mention that I'm gaining weight in the form of FAT!

So right now I plan my meals in advance (actually this is only my 2nd day of this new habit). Many told me that this is more effective than just tracking down what you stuff in your face. You'll be forced to be more disciplined since you planned it & should stick to it.
  • cstiles1960
    cstiles1960 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    i know what you mean. It's easy for me to track during the summer, but once school starts, it seems like I just don't have time. I'm too busy tracking my students and forget about myself. Unfortunately, the only time I lose weight is when I track. I'm just going to have to make it part of my eating time. Enter it into my phone while I'm eating it. Hopefully that will do it for me.
  • cstiles1960
    cstiles1960 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I agree. The app is awesome.