Anyone else's legs itch when you run/walk?

Options
Hi all, maybe this is just weird, but my legs itch when I run (or walk very briskly), especially if it is cool or cold out. Does it happen to any of you?

I've had many theories given to me: fat mobilization, fascia adhesions breaking down, allergies... But I'd love to know if anyone knows for sure, or just has guesses...

Thanks in advance! I look forward to hearing what you think!

Replies

• catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Bump.
    Cuz I want to know. Mine itch and turn red and it's horrible.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    Mine used too. And the same in the cold cool. They've been known to do it after a bath, actually my whole body would itch after a bath, every single time. It's a horrible feeling and you just want to dig and dig and dig.
  • 33neenaj
    33neenaj Posts: 306
    Options
    Take an antihistamine before your walk.
  • BrianCrum
    BrianCrum Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yes me too. It reminds me of a niacin reaction or something. Running in the cold makes it worse!
  • canelly
    canelly Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Wow I'm not alone on this!!!
  • lorihalsted
    lorihalsted Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I haven't suffered with this in years but I did when I was a teenager and never knew the cause either. I wanna know too!!!!
  • wendyjo3
    wendyjo3 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    ME too!!! Like everyone else said, especially in the cold. Also, worse if running at the track, I thought maybe because of the grass?
  • peasantgirly
    peasantgirly Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I have always wondered about this, and I always thought it was just me! So annoying!
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I don't have problems itching, but I have other related responses. My nose runs a lot when I do any kind of intense exercise, especially running. I'm pretty sure its just my body triggering an anti-inflammatory response in opposition to the inflammation in tissues that is caused by intense exercise. I don't worry about it, just carry tissues and blow my nose a lot.
  • going2befit4ever
    going2befit4ever Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    yep don't know why but its really uncomfortable
  • qristina
    qristina Posts: 16
    Options
    yes! my legs can get VERY itchy when I walk. But it only seems to happen when I am walking near water (like lakes).
  • lorihalsted
    lorihalsted Posts: 326 Member
    Options
  • iluvmyhoneys
    Options
    Mine do!!! Not sure why they either...
  • Jenn_10
    Jenn_10 Posts: 83
    Options
    bump, glad to see I am not the only one lol I'm curious as to why it happens
  • kvonjohn
    kvonjohn Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    YES! What a relief it is! I am so tired of when I tell people this they think that I am making it up! My son's old school is next to a park with a track that goes around the lake there. I tried to walk the track there once and about halfway around my legs were on FIRE! I wanted to scratch them so bad but it was right next to a busy street! Ugh I hate this. I can do it on the treadmill without and problems but outside is a big NO NO!
    The first time it happened it was cold but I've had it happen in every weather since then.
    I asked the doctor about it once and he told me it had something to do with lactic acid but he kinda just dismissed me too.
  • Curry0724
    Curry0724 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    It was explained to me that when you are exercising, or say you come in from a snowy day... your legs may itch because your blood is pumping hard and rising to the surface. And apparently, that process makes a lot of people itch.
  • apeecaleb
    apeecaleb Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    This may be more for the girls...but I used to ich like crazy when I ran and I found that it helps if I don't have any lotion or body spray on...it seem to make it worse mixed in with the sweat! Not sure if that's the initial cause but it helped me not to itch as much.
  • pinchmynose28
    Options
    I've heard that it's because the small capillaries in your legs contract due to inactivity. Then when you exercise (which is most likely less frequent when it's cold) your blood rushes through the capillaries causing them to be forced open which causes the pain and itching. I find once I'm back in a routine of walking/running on a consistent basis, it does not happen anymore.
  • directorj
    directorj Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I thought I was the only one! But mine is temporary and I scratch and it goes away.