When do you buy new clothes?

Options
faithchange
faithchange Posts: 311 Member
OK. So, I've lost 62 lbs to date since starting my official journey June 20, 2010. I was a size 18 and now, I'm a lose 11/12 (which I only bought a month ago). I have my Levi "stretch" jeans size 16. They aren't falling off, but may look better in a smaller size??? Not sure though, because its a brand that is awkward for me already because I'm large framed and tall. Anyone else have that issue?

Most of my stuff is either a size 14, some 16 in pants/shorts. My shirts are large and my dresses are 12-16.

I'm scared to get the newer smaller sizes yet, but probably would feel better in them if they actually fit in places that others now are baggy like in the waist, crotch and butt.

I'm also scared because I fear that one day I'd gain some of the weight back...not all of it (since I have kept it off for 2 years now).

Its just all crazy. What do you all do, wait until you reach goal or keep buying clothes?

My end goal is another 20-30 lbs and don't know how many more inches. My inches are coming off fast now that I'm doing P90X the right way.

Replies

• Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I'd go ahead and buy the 11/12.. I just recently bought 3 new pair of pants, 1 jeans and 2 slacks for work. I "fit" 14's but I didn't like the way they looked cuz the belly sort of topped over them, so i went with 16 so I could tuck it under. Now, just 3 weeks later.. they are to loose, so I'm gonna need to buy the 14's anyway. My goal is also 30 more lbs. I think it's a good idea to buy for the future fit. And.. don't worry about gaining any weight back. That is an irrational fear. You have complete control over that :)

Hezz
  • KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    If you want to wait a little bit more, buy a belt instead. I waited/am waiting until the pants nearly fall off. Buying clothes gets expensive!

As an addition: GET RID OF YOUR OLD CLOTHES AS SOON AS YOU GET YOUR NEW ONES. Maybe keep a pair of pants for the reminder of where you were...but keeping the bigger clothes around gives you an "out". Like, "oh, if this doesn't work, I'll always have these."

Remember to always look forward. :flowerforyou:
  • selig0730
    selig0730 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    bought some clothes when my other clothes are too big but cant buy everything because i wanna lose more weight and it can cost alot to buy everything now
  • AwesomeOne66
    AwesomeOne66 Posts: 220
    Options
    Ditch it as soon as it doesn't fit, ladies! There's nothing nicer than "fitting" your clothes properly. Thrift/charity stores are you BEST FRIEND during this transition phase....love the second hand goods. People chuck some A-Mazing bargains out, let me tell you!! Good luck!
  • jennyafur
    jennyafur Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I kind of cycle through my clothes. When I go to the store and buy something new I buy it in the size that fits me now. Then I get rid of something that is falling off. But I didn't go out and buy a whole new wardrobe everytime I changed sizes.
  • lauraniwa
    lauraniwa Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    It's funny, I woke up this morning and concluded none of my work clothes fit. I'm not done losing so I may go get some in betweens, like a stretch pant or something. I also share your fear of gaining weight back.:embarassed: I know it's in my control, but...
  • maddiey
    maddiey Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Well I used to wear a size 12 jeans, and I have had some size 10's shorts. But I've lost 20lbs and all my 12's a too big, and that's like every pair of my jeans. My shorts are now like a little lose, but do-able. But I'm not buying clothes. I'm just going to strap on a belt because I don't have enough money! lol.

My goal is to be like a size 8 or 6 but it seems so far away that I'm just going to wait. Also, I'm doing the P90X program and I don't plan on buying until after that at least.

I think if your clothes are falling off... it's time lol. I can still wear a belt!
  • torygirl79
    torygirl79 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I've been avoiding buying too many new clothes as much as possible, or if I do buying stretchy ones so they will fit even if I lose more weight.

I did splash out on a new pair of knee high boots yesterday as my old ones no longer fit (legs have shrunk so they are far too loose).
  • lois4468
    lois4468 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I started getting clothes at the Goodwill. You can find a lot of good stuff there. I started with an 18, bought 16, then 14 and have some 12s already. When they get too big I give them back. They have dollar day on Thursdays. I still have a ways to go, not sure how far. Good luck.
  • Tdk4685
    Tdk4685 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I bought new clothes when my old ones started falling off. I would suggest you to buy the new size. I think it helps with self esteem and motivation. Great work by the way!
  • raseykasey
    raseykasey Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I found that I didn't realise how good I was looking until I went into a shop and actually tried on clothes that fitted. I was a 12-14 and now a 10 and it makes you feel so wonderful to try on all those smaller clothes you like the look of and they actually look good on you. You only need to get a couple of bits to help your whole wardrobe :)
  • jayhawkX
    jayhawkX Posts: 48
    Options
    I'm still very large size. But I enjoy going to Casual Male. As well as REPP Limited. Or Rochester. Strangely enough I think all three of those owned by the same company.
  • hoosier_red
    Options
    Seeing as goal is 128 pounds away, I can't wait until then to get new clothes. What I do is buy a small amount of new clothes basics (shorts, t-shirts, etc) every 25 pounds as a reward for reaching my interim goal. Just bought a new pair of shorts in a smaller size, and I'll be going to buy some more in 9 pounds, whee!
  • cruisinskier
    cruisinskier Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    You have worked extremely hard to lose what you have. Reward yourself with some of the new clothes that you need....it feels good and shows off your efforts!

I just bought 2 new pairs of shorts on the weekend. I also bought another workout outfit to keep me going...now I have 5 sets for the week so I feel I have to go to the gym at least 5 times per week. Next up I need new dress clothes (suits, dress pants, etc) for work but for now the belts (which are now in the last hole) are keeping me in them until they are replaced shortly. I also bought a new pair of shoes and even they were smaller...... :)
  • bmw4deb
    bmw4deb Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I buy new cloths every weekend :tongue: I have discovered i love
    yard sale,s goodwill, consignment shops , I get off work at noon saturdays
    and spend my afternoon exploring one or all (I try and keep my budget around 25.00)
    I now have a huge wardrobe tons of designer names last wknd I got a pair of true religion
    jeans for 3 bucks and 5 different color tank tops with 7.50 price tags still attached for .50 cents
    each :love:
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Well I find sales and buy a little at a time. I didn't start really buying clothes till I got a job. Once I hit my 170's I started buying a little here and there. I started at 250 so obviously I did buy some in there just nothing special, I'm still wearing my fat sweat pants and I'm 142 as of right now. So They are huge! I start my new job on Wednesday, and I can't wait cus I have a shopping addiction.
  • amatiq
    amatiq Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I second the thrift store idea. Nothing will help you realize how much progress you've made like a pair of jeans that fit your new shape well. Thrift stores have great bargains, and when you shrink out of these, you can just turn them back in so that somebody else will be blessed with inexpensive clothes.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I personally find sales, I found a pair of jeans at Rue 21 the other day for $3.00. Most thrift shops around here sale jeans for like $5.00.
  • kittenkris
    kittenkris Posts: 112
    Options
    You can SELL your clothes on eBay as you go down. You would be amazed at what people buy. Then you will have money to help buy new clothes.
    Buy new clothes! You will look and feel better.
  • kjhayes4
    kjhayes4 Posts: 1
    Options
    Go to Goodwill til your done loseing so you dont spend to much while you are still loseing
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!