Why can't I just eat right??!?!!!!

Options
I get mad at myself all the time for this. I may stay under my calories most of the time but what I eat is crap and I am fully aware of what I'm putting in my mouth so I have no one to blame but myself it just sux. Anyone else haveing the same problem?

Alicia

Replies

• MDawg81
    MDawg81 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Yes! I just can't seem to stay on track with eating GOOD things, even if I stay under calories.
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    I am having a real big problem with this recently.
    I dont know what is wrong with me. I keep over eating even though I beat myself up the whole night ( while I am sleeping even) and the whole day. then I feel so bad, I eat bad again.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I just stopped buying it...and boy did my grocery bill drop, too. Every week I was buying candy and chips and cookies. No more.

I still eat some treats. Like I bought a pie, sliced it up into 8 pieces, wrapped them individually and put them in the freezer. When I have the calories to spend, I pull one out and let it thaw. I snack on beef jerky and fruit slices and sugar free pudding.

It comes down to choice. As you said, you CHOOSE what you eat. Make the right choices and you wont eat the crap anymore. At least not constantly. We all deserve a little something special on occasion.
  • jpohoney
    jpohoney Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness I soooo have the same problem. I can't seem to get on track! I can be good for most of the day and then I slowly start putting crap in my mouth. I talk myself into it. I have always come with in 20lbs of my goal but never reached my goal only to pig out again and gain most of what I lost back! Now I have 50lbs to lose and would like to lose it in the next 8 months while my husband is away and can't tell me how great I look when I am 20lbs from my goal and I don't start putting the crap back in my mouth!
  • laceybrobie
    laceybrobie Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I know its a pain in the behind and trust me, I HATE doing it too but FOOD PREP. Start on a Sunday and Prep for at least 3-4 days. Get it all in baggies containers etc so that its so easy to just grab and go. Including snacks, Carrots Celery etc in little baggies so its grab and much.

That way you are not tempted to stop at mcducks and order something.
  • erinxo13
    erinxo13 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I'm slowly trying to replace what I eat with better things...adding more fruit and veggies and actually looking at the serving size for everything. I have cut out most things like chips and pop but if I do have them or want them I just make sure I have enough room for them and eat the serving size. Like today for instance, my mum bought a GIANT bag of those Munchie snack mix things at Costco...now if you get those, even if you eat tons there are SO many in the bag that you can't even tell...so I just took one bowl ate them and left it at that. Normally, I would've either ate straight from the bag, not knowing what I ate or eat like 2 or 3 bowls because thats what I used to do...even stuff like that is helping me out a lot. I still live at home and my parents don't always buy the best stuff but I just make sure I use my tracking and portion control...and just cutting it out a little has made me realize that some of the things I ate just make me feel horrible if I eat them now. I still have meals with the family I just use smaller portions, use serving sizes and use smaller bowls/plates...I think its a process and eventually you'll be able to cut things out or at least have less at them... maybe start with one thing you want to cut out and see how you do. You don't have to NEVER have it but if you don't eat it for a while and then you eat it again... you may not even want it any more anyway!

Don't beat yourself up over you having a chocolate chip cookie or a bag of chips.... just go okay well today I made some bad food choices and instead of feeling upset over it just forget about it...and if you want to eat it again then just eat less and less each time you eat the bad thing, just track your food and your successes with weight or inches and you'll slowly be able to adjust. I know its hard, I'm still having a hard time but I try not to get upset over it and if I do I just write a blog or something, try to forget about it. Good luck.
  • Kari_L_Moore
    Kari_L_Moore Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Find some healthy things you like. I started buying fruit like peaches or apples since I really like to eat it. From there, I told myself I have to have a salad at least once a week. I got used to eating that stuff and it makes it easier to eat it more often since I got used to it. I'm doing okay with it (only been doing this for about 4 weeks) and still have burgers or other fast food, but I'm eating healthier than I was four weeks ago.

Plus bad food is addictive. It's essentially the crack of the food world. It doesn't fill you as much as lower calorie vegetables and fruit, so you're still hungry after. If you wanna gross yourself out, watch some food documentaries like "fat, sick, & nearly dead", or "fast food nation". It at least makes you think about it when you eat junk food after that.
  • Innocentkuuipo
    Options
    I have gained over 8 lbs in a month. I know it is because I tend to eat really late and when I do, I eat bad food and binge!! I joined this today and logged my calories for the day. I consummed more than 2400. I set myself to only eat 900. What is wrong with me?!! I am so upset right now!
  • recoiljpr
    recoiljpr Posts: 292
    Options
    I can't speak for others, but I can tell you what i've learned so far. I would tell myself that since I worked out (I've been working out steadily for years) that it was okay to eat what I wanted to. I would then go through times where I would "tell" myself I was going to eat right, etc, etc. But within a week or so I would be back at the chips, bacon, etc.

What it took for me was finally being honest with myself. I have an obsession with food. I would think about food from the time I went up to the time I went to bed. I would think about a burger, and get a burger. I would think about a coke and get a coke. It took me finally seeing that I was addicted to food. I had to realize a change for me was to realize I was addicted and that I had to fight that addiction within myself. I had to decide for me, was food more important than making myself healthy? Was eating that cupcake really worth it?

I know I have a weakness to food, and still do. It's why I decided for me to go full tilt and not allow myself cheat days/meals, etc. I know how I am now, if I allow myself 1 cheat meal or day, it will quickly roll into 2, 3, a week, etc. I have to work to overcome that addiction to be sure that when I do eat that one thing, it won't snowball into something bigger.

So for me, it came down to priorities, what was really important?
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of crap and I'm slowly changing it.

I find the most success when I don't overwhelm myself with too many requirements. I aim for hitting a protein goal of 100g/day or more. I find that if that goal is shaping my choices, I'm more likely to have a better diet overall.
  • pennyrtyler
    pennyrtyler Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    OMG, y'all!! Be kind to yourselves!!

How about, instead of beating ourselves up and feeling bad for what we eat, we just pick a couple of things that we would LIKE to eat, and make them mandatory?? Such as - making sure to get lean protein for breakfast every day for three days. Boiled eggs are really easy to make on the weekend, and then keep in the fridge during the week.

I've always found that when I try to demonize the foods I (really, really!) want (very badly!), I don't make good decisions. BUT, when I focus on good food, and allow myself the (really, sinfully, awful, and bad!) snacks (in moderation, of course :tongue: ) after the good food is eaten, I do much better.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    OMG, y'all!! Be kind to yourselves!!

How about, instead of beating ourselves up and feeling bad for what we eat, we just pick a couple of things that we would LIKE to eat, and make them mandatory?? Such as - making sure to get lean protein for breakfast every day for three days. Boiled eggs are really easy to make on the weekend, and then keep in the fridge during the week.

I've always found that when I try to demonize the foods I (really, really!) want (very badly!), I don't make good decisions. BUT, when I focus on good food, and allow myself the (really, sinfully, awful, and bad!) snacks (in moderation, of course :tongue: ) after the good food is eaten, I do much better.

I agree! Well said!! :smile:
  • sunnyshine1313
    sunnyshine1313 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I can't speak for others, but I can tell you what i've learned so far. I would tell myself that since I worked out (I've been working out steadily for years) that it was okay to eat what I wanted to. I would then go through times where I would "tell" myself I was going to eat right, etc, etc. But within a week or so I would be back at the chips, bacon, etc.

What it took for me was finally being honest with myself. I have an obsession with food. I would think about food from the time I went up to the time I went to bed. I would think about a burger, and get a burger. I would think about a coke and get a coke. It took me finally seeing that I was addicted to food. I had to realize a change for me was to realize I was addicted and that I had to fight that addiction within myself. I had to decide for me, was food more important than making myself healthy? Was eating that cupcake really worth it?

I know I have a weakness to food, and still do. It's why I decided for me to go full tilt and not allow myself cheat days/meals, etc. I know how I am now, if I allow myself 1 cheat meal or day, it will quickly roll into 2, 3, a week, etc. I have to work to overcome that addiction to be sure that when I do eat that one thing, it won't snowball into something bigger.

So very true, I am starting to realize this after a couple of days of eating poorly. It's definitely a challenge in my mind as well.
  • HelenCate
    HelenCate Posts: 12
    Options
    900 is too low!! You will set yourself up to binge again if you are too strict like that. Get some books on nutrition and read them! Get them at the library or even just read about nutrition online. Or get help here but don't go too low either!
  • AliciaV30
    AliciaV30 Posts: 147 Member
    Options

I love what you said although I wouldn't say I'm addicted my problem is that if its there I'm gonna eat it. Like today (I work at a daycare) I made them hot dogs but I wasn't even gonna have one I even brought my special K chips a hundred calorie cookie thing a 100 cal fruit bar and a bunch of water cause I knew my husband was making me a good dinner at home but for some reason I still had 1 and a half hot dogs. UGH!!!!
  • recoiljpr
    recoiljpr Posts: 292
    Options
    I love what you said although I wouldn't say I'm addicted my problem is that if its there I'm gonna eat it. Like today (I work at a daycare) I made them hot dogs but I wasn't even gonna have one I even brought my special K chips a hundred calorie cookie thing a 100 cal fruit bar and a bunch of water cause I knew my husband was making me a good dinner at home but for some reason I still had 1 and a half hot dogs. UGH!!!!

See, that's why I say i'm addicted. We like to think of addicts as crack heads or drunks, etc. But whenever people have great difficulty moderating an action, wouldn't you say that's typical of an addict? I had a hard time at first for myself calling it an addiction, but the more and more I thought about it, the more it made sense. I mean we know overeating is bad for us, yet we still do it. So Addiction in my opinion is doing something even though you know it's bad for you.

I know i'm the same way with food, if it's there, i'll eat it. Yet if someone stuck a bowl of crack or a bong, etc I wouldn't be tempted, i'd just move on. But yet, someone places a bowl of chips in front of me? Different story!

Maybe i'm over analyzing it, but for me personally, treating food like an addiction for me is what is helping me out the most.