Running outside?

Options
I've never really gone running or gone for a run outside besides when I did sports and it kind of intimidates me. Any tips for starting to run outside? People who do it seem to really enjoy it and I want to start! Thanks :)

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Where are you starting from? Do you currently run on a treadmill and you want to get outside? Or you want to start running from walking? Also, what about it specifically intimidates you?
  • mkalinski333
    Options
    I do the elliptical and go pretty hard but I'm just worried that I won't be able to handle jogging/running outside. I am trying to get in better shape but I'm not always able to get to my gym and I want to have alternatives that I enjoy. I have run on treadmills before but not recently. Any tips?
  • AuddAlise
    AuddAlise Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I run outside. I started on the flat areas and stayed close to home in case I got too tired or my shins started hurting bad (I also carried my cell phone). Now I find the steepest hills and most convoluted trails to run. Work up to it and have a ton of fun!
  • StephStepByStep
    StephStepByStep Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Lately I have just been walking miles and I am going to work my way up to running, but here outside it is just too hot. I nearly dehydrated today. I got a bad headache and was so nauseous, so I advise you stay hydrated! Don't start off doing too much. Maybe start walking and running before you full out run the whole time.
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    Sure! Running outside is very different from an elliptical, because the elliptical movement takes away the impact of your foot striking the ground. So even though you're getting a good cardiovascular workout on the elliptical, it's not very realistic preparation for outdoor running. My advice is this:

1) Make sure you have proper fitting shoes
    2) Start with run/walk intervals. From what I've heard, c25K is awesome for this, though I don't have personal experience with it. My method was theoretically similar, just not so structured. I would walk to warm up for a few minutes, then jog for, say, a minute at the beginning- or to the end of the block, or whatever marker you want. Then I would walk again, just long enough to catch my breath, then jog again. Over time, as you get stronger, you extend the runs little by little and shorten the walks little by little. Eventually you're running the whole time!
    3) This may be the most important advice I have- GO SLOW! Jog so slowly that it feels awkwardly slow. Speed will come with time, and MOST new runners make the cardinal mistake of running too fast and overtaxing themselves- and then quit because they hate running. Slow and steady is the way to get there!
    4) If you feel uncomfortable running in public- you shouldn't because just by getting out there you're beating most of the population, and every single runner had to learn to run at some point- but if you do, try finding quiet places to go. My current favorite find is a cemetery. My local one is all soft new asphalt and rolling hills with beautiful views, and the dead people never intimidate runners ;)
    5) Pre-hydrate, bring water and rehydrate.
    If I think of more, I'll repost. That's what I've got for now. Hope that helps! :)
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I would recommend finding a nice long, quiet road and going out and back. Choose a time goal and run away from home for half of it, then turn around and run home. If you have a HRM, I recommend using it and trying to stay aerobic the whole time - under 75% MHR... that will help you to not go so fast that you fizzle out. Plus, if you begin any endurance running, that's an excellent HR to train at for the majority of the miles you'll run.

And don't worry about anyone else... you belong on the road as much as anyone else :)
  • formbuddy
    formbuddy Posts: 6
    Options
    +1 for the C25K idea. We (my wife and I) just started week 5 and we are thoroughly enjoying it. If you have a smartphone, remember to keep a log of your run using apps like runkeeper, ismoothrun etc.
  • foraubs
    foraubs Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    C25K!!!!
    I have neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeever been a runner and I am almost on Week 4. It's challenging but it's so worth it. The sense of accomplishment is unreal and I actually look forward to getting out there.

With or without the program remember that it's not a race, pace yourself. Intervals are key. So is good music :) I like changing up my routes and I put the baby in the stroller and kinda zone out for the half hour or so. Good shoes. Comfy clothes. Care less about what you look like and more about how you feel -- I am convinced I am an ugly runner but love to do it, so I do!
  • foraubs
    foraubs Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Sure! Running outside is very different from an elliptical, because the elliptical movement takes away the impact of your foot striking the ground. So even though you're getting a good cardiovascular workout on the elliptical, it's not very realistic preparation for outdoor running. My advice is this:

2) Start with run/walk intervals. From what I've heard, c25K is awesome for this, though I don't have personal experience with it. My method was theoretically similar, just not so structured. I would walk to warm up for a few minutes, then jog for, say, a minute at the beginning- or to the end of the block, or whatever marker you want. Then I would walk again, just long enough to catch my breath, then jog again. Over time, as you get stronger, you extend the runs little by little and shorten the walks little by little. Eventually you're running the whole time!
    3) This may be the most important advice I have- GO SLOW! Jog so slowly that it feels awkwardly slow. Speed will come with time, and MOST new runners make the cardinal mistake of running too fast and overtaxing themselves- and then quit because they hate running. Slow and steady is the way to get there!
    4) If you feel uncomfortable running in public- you shouldn't because just by getting out there you're beating most of the population, and every single runner had to learn to run at some point- but if you do, try finding quiet places to go. My current favorite find is a cemetery. My local one is all soft new asphalt and rolling hills with beautiful views, and the dead people never intimidate runners ;)
    If I think of more, I'll repost. That's what I've got for now. Hope that helps! :)

^^ Everything this post says. Thumbs up.
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    C25K!!!!
    I have neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeever been a runner and I am almost on Week 4. It's challenging but it's so worth it. The sense of accomplishment is unreal and I actually look forward to getting out there.

With or without the program remember that it's not a race, pace yourself. Intervals are key. So is good music :) I like changing up my routes and I put the baby in the stroller and kinda zone out for the half hour or so. Good shoes. Comfy clothes. Care less about what you look like and more about how you feel -- I am convinced I am an ugly runner but love to do it, so I do!
    Everyone is an ugly runner- just keep running and nobody will see you long enough to get a good view. :laugh:
    You're in good company.
  • mollypcv
    mollypcv Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I use runkeeper on my android and love it! You can listen to your own music and program intervals so it tells you when to walk vs run. It will also tell you when you hit a certain distance (like each mile) and your pace. Don't run every day at the beginning, your bones and muscles need to adapt to the high impact and please get fitted with proper shoes! I was in a walking cast for 6 weeks years ago because I ran with "running" shoes from a big box store.
  • RachelX04
    RachelX04 Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I use C25K as well, but have never run outside. I run on my treadmill, but would love to run outside. Looking forward to hearing tips from others
  • dperich1968
    dperich1968 Posts: 235 Member
    Options

^^ Everything this post says. Thumbs up.

DITTO!! I started with C25K, progressed with the bridge to 10K and now love doing a nice 60min run feels wonderful.
  • Eafears
    Eafears Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I used the C25K program as well. It is a great way to start out and not overtax yourself. They have an app for your phone too, which I really appreciated. Def. find a nice even surface to go on and if you don't have to run on the sidewalk stay off it. It is really hard on your joints and feet. I use the runkeepr app now and I like that I can program what I want to do and it gives me a calorie burn at the end. Oh and I know someone mentioned it, but go get new shoes. Go get sized for shoes at a running store or at the New balace store. It will be the best choice you ever make, even if you stop running. Good shoes make a lot of difference. If you have time look up Jenny Hadfield, she is a running coach/blogger and has excellent advice, motivation and training plans. Good luck! Once you go outside you will never want to go back in!
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Just go. Nothing to it but to do it! At first I was self-conscious because of my weight and speed. I starting jogging about 3 months ago at around 220 pounds. I could barely jog to the end of the block. I’m now 199 and jog almost daily. I can go at least a mile without stopping. I don’t think I would have built that endurance on the treadmill because its boring. Running in my neighborhood is scenic and interesting. I didn't specifically use the C25k program, but I used the principle to help me with building up running time. This may be a good program for you to start with if you need to.

What motives me is the people driving or walking by. Surprisingly, they are pretty encouraging! Yesterday this man flags me down and said “I see you out here all the time, keep it up because you’re doing more than I see most people do. Including myself!” That comment made my day & made me run the rest of my two miles straight!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I use C25K outside... Just completed Week 4 day 2.

It's a really good program and is set up for people who are not runners but want to be.

Remember to go slow and listen to your body... if something hurts, then stop and re-revaluate.
  • Berto0391
    Berto0391 Posts: 273 Member
    Options

Best advice...I came here to say this
  • AmandaLou4319
    AmandaLou4319 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    This time of year is tough for people to begin running outside. I am not sure where you are, but if you are in the states please please please be careful with the heat. I am in KY, and only run before 9am or after 7:30pm on most days. You just need to be smart, wear a hat, drink lots of water. Even experienced runners can have serious issues with heat.
    That being said, I run my best races in the fall. And I believe that it is because I just trained the last few months in hotter weather.

Other than that, I think its great to run outside. I would start walking and then choose to run for this point to a distant point. See how you feel after that and then do it again!

If you are already a runner who was on the treadmill, then know that the challenge will be setting your own pace. The treadmill does that for you and you have control outside. I would start on a loop track. Time your self, know how fast and far you go on the treadmill and try to mimic it.

Good luck!!
  • Dad_of_3
    Dad_of_3 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I do C25K also, and I have to run outside because of my inner ear issues. I tried to run C25K on the treadmill, and I have nearly hurt myself twice. Part of the reason, along with my balance, is that my treadmill is a Bowflex Treadclimber. The Treadclimber has two narrow foot tracks instead of one wide track, so I misstep easily when I correct my imbalanced gait.

When I run outside, I have total freedom and security, but I have to look down because of my balance issues and I can easily make a miss-step. My yard is my track, and my yard was a pasture 20 years ago. It is uneven, and not level. This gives me both an advantage and a disadvantage: I am prone to knee injuries because of the uneven terrain, but I am getting the benefit of a mixed path- slightly uphill for two parts of the path, and slightly down hill for one part, so it keeps my cardiovascular demands varied, improving my workout.

I have heard that running on a sidewalk is safer, but higher impact, so you have to be careful of knee and ankle injuries due to the unyielding concrete path.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I love running outside. I like going off road (tracks etc) as much as possible but there are plenty of places that are quiet. My advice is

1) Leave your mp2 player at home - for safety reasons its better to be able to hear whats going on around you.
    2) Run until you feel tired and then walk until you feel you can run again (if you need to). Outside is different to the gym and can take it out of you more.
    3) Monitor yourself - try and understand how tired you are. Not sure if you do this already but if you can do it its better. If not you can learn because once you do you can...
    4) run at a constant effort not pace. Keep the same level running up hills (go slow) and down hills (go fast)
    5) I use an android phone and use sports tracker to track how far I've gone (the calorie count doesn't work but the speed/distance is good).
    6) Perhaps join a friendly running club -
    7) Get a decent pair of running shoes - vital really (only run in them don't use them for anything else so they last longer)
    8) Stretch out your legs after each run (vital to avoid injury) Running outside puts a lot of stresses onto our bodies and the natural shortening of muscle tissue during a jog can give us problems so stretching is very important.
    9) Don't do too much - people say increase total distance and distance of your longest run by 10% per week. This is too much for me sometimes but sometimes it holds me back. I've had an overuse injury before though so I find it better to be frustrated by a self imposed limitation than tendinitis or some other nasty that happens even if we don't want them to.
    10) Have fun (most important thing) Running outdoors is liberating and makes me fit. I do it for fun though not as a punishment so normally I run at my own pace.

Good luck, I hope you get the bug :-)