going vegetarian.

Options
I'm thinking about going vegetarian for a little bit. I do plan on eating fish an eggs, because they are excellent sources of protein. I m very nervous about doing this though. Any suggestions of tips?

Replies

• Rukadare
    Rukadare Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Vegetarians do not eat fish or any meat. They do however eat eggs and dairy products. I've been a vegetarian for a while now, and I personally do not miss meat at all. (Sushi sometimes, but not that often :P). Anyway, you can find excellent sources of protein from a vegetarian diet! Especially legumes, beans, nuts, and quinoa. I also use a protein shake after I workout, and that really boosts my protein for the day.

Why would you be nervous? Do you have reservations about becoming a vegetarian? Oh! And what are your reasons for becoming one? Because there are many. :) But just so you know, being a vegetarian doesn't mean that you'll be missing out on anything. There are so many different things you can try and make, so that you never miss meat again! :P

My suggestion is to try it out for a while, 30 days at least, and then see if it's for you. There are plenty of recipes that you can find on the web easily.

Feel free to add me! :D I would be happy to help you out!
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    You can't be a veggie and eat fish =P
  • ronnio_ron
    ronnio_ron Posts: 61
    Options
    Vegetarianism is really good for long life, by going on healthy greens, lentils, quinoa, dairies.....give it a try and u wont be feeling the need to try meat.

there are lot of substitutes for nutritional replacement as well....
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    i went pescatarian (which is what you are describing with the fish allowance) for a while and found it not much different from my normal eating habits. vary your fish though, dont just stick to one everyday, tilapia, salmon, tuna, all delicious and great sources of protein and omega 3s.
  • Fitsicle
    Fitsicle Posts: 14
    Options
    You can eat fish if you want to eat fish. Although you would be considered a Pescatarian, not Vegetarian.
  • Haylz_ish
    Haylz_ish Posts: 80
    Options
    Hi I'm a vegetarian - I don't eat any meat or seafood but I do eat eggs and dairy. You can add me if you'd like to peek into my diary to see what I'm eating :)
  • maricash
    maricash Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I was a vegetarian for many years and am now a mostly-vegetarian omnivore. I recommend getting a copy of Mark Bittman's "How to Cook Everything Vegetarian" (the library might have it). It has a lot of great ideas for easy vegetarian meals and is written by a non-vegetarian. It's my favorite cookbook to recommend to new vegetarians because he is clearly writing for an audience that might be new to vegetarianism.

You could also check out vegetariantimes.com or Cooking Light, which has a lot of vegetarian recipes.

Be aware that it is just as easy to eat unhealthy food on a vegetarian diet as it is on one that includes meat, and really easy to eat a lot of processed food (frozen veggie burgers are just so easy to make). At it's best though, going vegetarian, even for a short time, can introduce you to a lot of new healthy foods that you haven't had before and/or help you learn to prepare foods you have had before in new ways -- bringing things that were at the side of the plate out to the center. Good Luck!
  • Kailuen
    Kailuen Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for six years. What are your reasons for turning over? Can you maintain this lifestyle and get all the right nutrients? There is a lot to think about! I do not eat fish, but pescatarians do. Good Luck!
  • CChandler81
    CChandler81 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I tried it for 30 days and still ate eggs and cheese. It wasn't that hard and I discovered I really like veggie, black bean burgers. Unfortunately I also ate a lot of junk too since I never went into it too seriously, nor was I tracking what I ate.
  • GrepuS
    GrepuS Posts: 1
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian my whole life (27 1/2 years!). Never eaten meat and only recently, over the last two or three years, started eating bits and pieces of seafood. On and off I've had issues with iron and B12 deficiencies but overall, when I manage my diet properly and make sure I eat enough protein, I'm one of the healthiest people I know!

A big problem for me however, has been dieting as a vegetarian. It's very hard to cut out carbs, hi-calorie foods and fats AND get enough protein on a vego diet. On the other hand, being someone who generally eats a lot of vegetables and salads has made it easy to be satisfied with a salad/some steamed vegies for a meal while I'm dieting. One of the solutions I've found for the protein issue (although not ideal) is to use suppliment drinks (or even breakfast drinks like Up and Go) as the protein element of a meal combined with a salad.... those drinks tend to be quite calorie/sugar heavy though so look around for the best options.

Also, side note: I think it's quite over the top for people to say "you're not a vegetarian if xyz". Who really cares if you eat a bit of fish and call yourself a vegetarian? (aside from those people around me who would think I'm a complete tosser for saying "I'm a pescatarian":tongue: ).

Good luck :happy:
  • tastywhalebacon
    Options
    i went pescatarian (which is what you are describing with the fish allowance) for a while and found it not much different from my normal eating habits. vary your fish though, dont just stick to one everyday, tilapia, salmon, tuna, all delicious and great sources of protein and omega 3s.

this is the one i meant completely. But i'm only going to eat fish every once in awhile.
  • tastywhalebacon
    Options
    My main reason is to see how my body would react without all the meat (except fish). I'm a huge bacon, steak, MEAT eater lol. I feel if I try it for a month, my body will behave different, I won't feel lethargic and it would bring me to the other side. I would be able to try new things without having to jazz it all up with meat and what not. There are many different things I want to try and I figure it would be a good idea.
  • loobybooby82
    loobybooby82 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have been a pescatarian since Feb 2011 and in the last week I decided to cut out fish altogether. I found this was a way of easing into my new lifestyle and although I dont enjoy being a veggie at certain times, overall I am so happy with making the change. I eventually want to becoma a vegan but I know that I am not ready for such a massive step. I have noticed a massive change in my lethergy. I was napping during the day for an hour or so and now I have so much more energy I dont even think about having a cheeky nap! Just to warn you, try and steer clear of the cheese or keep a limit on it. I put on 3 stone from Feb11-nov11 because I was just living off of all forms of cheese. I have a bit of the weight watchers one now in a toastie and it satisfies my craving. Good luck if you make the change. x
  • nothing1994
    nothing1994 Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I dont get it...

an egg is a chick! How can they eat it?

Sorry im kinda lost on this topic lol
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Whats too be scared about

Try it, if its doesn;t work, start eating meat again
  • 3shirts
    3shirts Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I don't really understand why you'd become vegetarian apart from if you have moral objections. Meat is the most efficient way to get a lot of important vitamins and protein into you and, assuming you eat lean stuff, is also very healthy.
    I can understand cutting out kebabs or burgers but a good lean piece of pork, a nice bit of beef or some chicken just makes healthy eating all the easier.
    I'm not judging your decision, I am just interested as to why you feel you need to totally cut out meat.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    My main reason is to see how my body would react without all the meat (except fish). I'm a huge bacon, steak, MEAT eater lol. I feel if I try it for a month, my body will behave different, I won't feel lethargic and it would bring me to the other side. I would be able to try new things without having to jazz it all up with meat and what not. There are many different things I want to try and I figure it would be a good idea.

Another option to consider is going paelo and elimate all the fake meats like bacon, sausage, etc and grains. Going vegetarian wont make you any healthier than a meat eater. It doesnt matter which group you belong to, there are healthy and unhealthy people.

I know i couldnt do it since i hate beans and it would be hard for me to get 2600-3000 qualtiy calories as well as 200g of protein.
  • tastywhalebacon
    Options
    just trying it for a bit to see how m body reacts.
  • adsumodo
    adsumodo Posts: 38
    Options
    You can't be a veggie and eat fish =P

There are different forms of vegetarians. Pescatarians abstain from eating all meat except fish.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating meat about a month and a half ago (Father's Day was the last time I had meat). For some reason meat just made me feel naseus so I stopped eating it. I still prepare it for my husband though.

I didn't find the switch too hard. I looked at various way to ensure I got enough protein in.

Now I drink protein smoothies, eat eggs regularly, cheese (not so regularly but I do now and again), chickpeas have become a larger part of my diet as well as other nuts.

I don't eat fish (and never have) so I had to find other ways to get the protein in. I love it now and don't miss meat at all. I sometimes have the meat free versions of things (I LOVE Veggie Patch products!) for a little variety and added protein.