i need female advice

Options
i really need advice on how to handle cravings when its that time of month .... im retaining water im bloating and im like how do u maintain to have a healthy diet with ur cravings r irresistable . all the weight ive lost im damn there gained it back thanks to all this. i just need advice on what to do because it saddens me because all my little progress has gone to waist

Replies

• beingmotivated
    Options
    I try to just keep drinking my water and when I start to have cravings I either eat a piece of fruit, make a salad or go do some exercise. I started 3 days ago and my only 'craving' would be Pepsi, since I use to have 3 or more on a daily basis. Try think how proud you'll be when you ignore the craving and eat healthy/exercise instead :)
  • FatStoatLondon
    FatStoatLondon Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    i really need advice on how to handle cravings when its that time of month .... im retaining water im bloating and im like how do u maintain to have a healthy diet with ur cravings r irresistable . all the weight ive lost im damn there gained it back thanks to all this. i just need advice on what to do because it saddens me because all my little progress has gone to waist

Take some of those pills that help with bloating/water retention (I don't know what brands you have in your country but the pharmacist will be able to suggest something), allow yourself a little of a food you crave, and track it, try to take extra exercise to win back any extra calories you eat, and make sure you always have some good healthy quick-to-prepare protein food in the house, like chicken breasts or eggs. Don't be so hard on yourself, cryshelle, it's a total downer when you have PMS. The are quite a few threads on here about women's stuff. Use the search button and look up PMS, there are tons of suggestions :)

Massive hug!
  • Pinknspooky
    Pinknspooky Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Ok - most of the weight you have gained will be water weight and will go once you have finished your cycle - a lot of people dont weigh them selves during or just before it as it is just on of those things and when you are dieting you tend to notice the natural fluctuations more.

What are you craving and can you fit it into your calories - if so give in to some of it and dont feel guilty - as long as you get 99% of good stuff in your diet then a couple of squares of dark chocolate is not going to kill you - or think about an alternative - so if it is sweet your body is screaming for - go for a fruit smoothie and chuck a cup of fresh spinach in there too (you wont taste it but your body will love you for it)

Try Raspberry leaf tea - it helps with the cramps and with the bloated feelings and personally for me the worst of the mood swings and cravings - if you hate fruit teas then brew it and chill it and use it in smoothies - it will still do the job and you wont taste it.

But mostly dont beat yourself up - it is not like you have pitched your tent at the all you can eat chinese buffet and are refusing to move while setting a world eating record - your body is a beautiful thing and needs a bit of extra TLC sometimes - you have made an awsome start so be proud of yourself and give your self a hug
  • cryshelle247
    cryshelle247 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    i have been splurging even whatever i want to eat and back to eating sweets ...i know im back to eating a ton of calories .. i hate this ...i wish i cold b more gentle with myself i know im almost 20 but i am so embarassed of havin a period. its irregular and sometimes i flow really heavy and i just completely panic. and when i panic i go in the fridge and i explode. bekuz i think to myself u r losing lots of blood u have to eat and regain nutrients even if it means going over your calories
  • FatStoatLondon
    Options
    You're embarrassed by having periods?! That's awful, what are you afraid of? You're not losing blood, you're losing the lining of your womb, it just looks like blood. You might need a bit of extra iron in your diet if you shed a lot, but you don't need to eat tons of stuff to get back other nutrients. I am going to post some info from the NHS website (the UK national health service) below, for info.

But seriously, you shouldn't be embarrassed by periods - nearly every woman you meet of child bearing age has them. If you're worried about accidents, use a tampon AND a sanitary towel.

Iron is an essential mineral that has several important roles in the body. For example, it helps make red blood cells, which carry oxygen around the body. A lack of iron can lead to iron deficiency anaemia.

Good sources of iron include:
    liver
    meat
    beans
    nuts
    dried fruit, such as dried apricots
    wholegrains, such as brown rice
    fortified breakfast cereals
    soybean flour
    most dark-green leafy vegetables, such as watercress and curly kale

Many people think that spinach is a good source of iron, but spinach also contains a substance that makes it harder for the body to absorb the iron from it.
    Similarly, tea and coffee contain a substance that can make it harder for the body to absorb iron. Therefore, cutting down on tea and coffee could help improve your iron levels.
    Although liver is a good source of iron, do not eat it if you are pregnant. This is because it is also rich in vitamin A, large amounts of which can damage your unborn baby.

The amount of iron you need is:
    8.7mg a day for men
    14.8mg a day for women
    You should be able to get all the iron you need from your daily diet.

Women who lose a lot of blood during their monthly period may need to take iron supplements. Speak to your GP or a state-registered dietitian for more advice.

Most people should be able to get all the iron they need by eating a varied and balanced diet. If you take iron supplements, do not take too much because this could be harmful. Taking 17mg or less a day of iron supplements is unlikely to cause any harm. However, continue taking a higher dose if advised to by your GP.
  • cryshelle247
    Options
    believe it or not my mom never explained to me what a period was she just said what do u want pads or tampons. it scares me to see blood all over the place bekuz there so irregualr and been irregular my whole life i dont see my periods as much as other women do .. i never had a routine or know how long they will last. i get jealous of girls who know when there periods r gonna come and how long there going to b on them. one time i went a whole 5 months without a period and when it finally happened i was on it for weeks. im already considered anemic. this is the 1st time in years i have my period naturally back to back without any birth control or anything i honestly think because i changed my diet and have been exercising. but now i just cant handle it.
  • carini_wini
    carini_wini Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Cravings? No idea. Retaining water? I've heard (and I could be entirely wrong about this) that people make the mistake of not drinking enough when they're retaining water because they're afraid they'll hold that too, when in truth the more you drink the more salt is cleared out of your system and the less you retain.
  • FatStoatLondon
    Options
    Yeah, my mum was exactly the same; mothers aren't universally supportive, unfortunately.

Best advice I can give you is to make sure you always have some protection in your bag - perhaps buy a special little cosmetics purse just for sanitary stuff - and go and see a doctor just to make sure the irregular heavy periods are normal for you. Your doc will be able to reassure you that it's all perfectly normal. There isn't a woman in the world who hasn't had at least one accident, believe me.
  • maryannmiclat
    maryannmiclat Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    If your periods are not "normal" you may want to ask your doctor to check you for Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS). I was diagnosed when I was 17 because I had gone over a year without a cycle. As for cravings, try to drink some hot green tea and wait to see if the craving goes away. If its still there after an hour or two then just have a very small amount of what you are craving. That is what I do and it has been helping me.
  • cryshelle247
    Options
    my doctor said for my weight that its normal for heavier ppl to have heavier periods or miss a cycle or two..... i never thought of green tea but i will give it a try i totally forgot ppl drank tea when there cycles came. i just want to feel good about myself again .........i just want this all to be over so i can b right on track. ive been craving nothing but salt spices and chocholate =-( and ive been eating it all
  • the3rdwife
    the3rdwife Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have always had irregular & very heavy periods. I have always used tampons & pads together as I was paranoid about having an 'accident'. Do not be ashamed of them, I always was, but when my son asked me about them I made the choce to be open about them & why should I be ashamed, I'm a woman !!! is it an option to go onto birth control pill purely to regulate? I chose to do this after having my so & it really helps.
    re the craving, I am a raving chocoholic, but switching to dark chocolate helps as it gives you a stronger hit for less. break up a few peices on a plate & sit & eat it & focus on eating it. you will find you will eat less. and give up diet drinks & srick to water, I found my craving reduced when I gave up anything with artificial sweeteners in.
  • vonnywaft
    vonnywaft Posts: 182
    Options
    believe it or not my mom never explained to me what a period was she just said what do u want pads or tampons. it scares me to see blood all over the place bekuz there so irregualr and been irregular my whole life i dont see my periods as much as other women do .. i never had a routine or know how long they will last. i get jealous of girls who know when there periods r gonna come and how long there going to b on them. one time i went a whole 5 months without a period and when it finally happened i was on it for weeks. im already considered anemic. this is the 1st time in years i have my period naturally back to back without any birth control or anything i honestly think because i changed my diet and have been exercising. but now i just cant handle it.

Sweetheart that's awful, i'm sorry your mum wasn't more helpful about all this. Mine wasn't great either! But we nearly all have periods, so we need to get used to them and not be ashamed. It probably took some courage to even post about this didn't it? I bet it's hard to get help from the doctor too if you feel embarrassed talking about all this. If you have irregular periods, problems controlling your weight and bad mood swings it is likely that you have a hormone imbalance such as PCOS (google it for more info) and it might be worth going back to the doc to ask specifically to be tested. If you do have PCOS and are not trying to have a baby, they will probably recommend the birth control pill to regulate things for now and you might benefit from lowering the carbs in your diet. And if you don't have PCOS that will be a relief as it's not a great condition to have! Do you have girlfriends or female relatives that you can talk to to get a more balanced perspective on it all and to help you start to see periods as normal and not so frightening? I made sure that my daughter knew I had periods from when she was tiny, she would often be in the bathroom with me and would see me change a pad or tampon and would ask about it and I think she's fairly cool with the idea that she will be starting her periods in the next couple of years, she thinks it's fairly disgusting to leak blood every month - well it is a bit isn't it, but the point is it's normal and it's OK, it's a bodily function just like pooing and weeing.
  • LinaBo
    LinaBo Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    What are your particular cravings? If I knew some of your triggers, I could make more specific suggestions for healthier alternatives.

My periods are fairly suppressed right now, because I am so heavy (I am prescribed BC pills without the one week break, to suppress them). Without the pills, I bleed way too much, and all of the usual symptoms of my time of the month are far worse. I know that when my time of the month would roll around, I always craved red meat (likely for the iron... like in the form of a big, rare steak), had a desire to guzzle orange juice and milk (probably for the folic acid and calcium), and had the desire for chocolate (multiple benefits). The first three things are pretty healthy, in reasonable amounts. For the chocolate, I recommend that if you crave this, try getting some 70% (or higher) cocoa-content chocolate. Natural Foods stores are great for this. Right now, I am loving Endangered Species Chocolate (the brand donates 10% of profits to help endangered species). I have been getting the 70% cocoa variety, in orange and cherry flavours. The strong cocoa taste makes it hard to power through tons of the stuff, like you would with cheaper milk chocolate bars.
  • cryshelle247
    Options
    What are your particular cravings? If I knew some of your triggers, I could make more specific suggestions for healthier alternatives.

My periods are fairly suppressed right now, because I am so heavy (I am prescribed BC pills without the one week break, to suppress them). Without the pills, I bleed way too much, and all of the usual symptoms of my time of the month are far worse. I know that when my time of the month would roll around, I always craved red meat (likely for the iron... like in the form of a big, rare steak), had a desire to guzzle orange juice and milk (probably for the folic acid and calcium), and had the desire for chocolate (multiple benefits). The first three things are pretty healthy, in reasonable amounts. For the chocolate, I recommend that if you crave this, try getting some 70% (or higher) cocoa-content chocolate. Natural Foods stores are great for this. Right now, I am loving Endangered Species Chocolate (the brand donates 10% of profits to help endangered species). I have been getting the 70% cocoa variety, in orange and cherry flavours. The strong cocoa taste makes it hard to power through tons of the stuff, like you would with cheaper milk chocolate bars.
    thats exactly what im going through its such a drag i knew it was a reason i was craving all that
  • cjmas
    cjmas Posts: 63
    Options
    I just want to offer some support! You shouldn't be embarrassed or ashamed of your period; it's inconvenient, but completely natural and normal. If your periods are irregular, as others have suggested, maybe birth control is an option? Are you talking to your doctor, or an ob-gyn? (Highly recommend talking to a female ob-gyn!) I see you are a college student, take advantage of the health center at your school!

Be kind to yourself. Drink lots of water. (And remember, you are probably retaining a lot of water during your period.) I'd allow myself some treats, but try not to completely sabotage yourself. (If you like salty things, a small serving of potato chips or whatever it is you want. Sweet? Dark chocolate. Etc.) I think you've gotten some great advice from other posters.

Good luck.
  • cjmas
    cjmas Posts: 63
    Options
    all my little progress has gone to waist

Also, I don't know if you were making a pun or a typo, but this is the cutest thing ever.
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    It would help if your eating things you enjoy every day. I don't deprive myself of anything, feel free to view my diary. This has helped me a great deal because I love snacks
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I hear you. I'm craving pretzels right now as we speak, lol. I try to drink green tea. It sounds silly but it does keep the temptation to eat salty foods around the time of the month at bay. Whatever works, right? :wink:
  • ewhitehurst1
    ewhitehurst1 Posts: 178
    Options
    i have been splurging even whatever i want to eat and back to eating sweets ...i know im back to eating a ton of calories .. i hate this ...i wish i cold b more gentle with myself i know im almost 20 but i am so embarassed of havin a period. its irregular and sometimes i flow really heavy and i just completely panic. and when i panic i go in the fridge and i explode. bekuz i think to myself u r losing lots of blood u have to eat and regain nutrients even if it means going over your calories

Not to sound harsh at all but this literaly had me LMAO! I had a IUD inserted about 9 months ago and I bled for atleast 2 months straight so I totally feel you on thinking you need to replinish nutrients.

When it comes to cravings for something sweet I allow myself a fun size or mini candy bar. Usually 1 will do the trick but even if I have 2 its a whole lot better than a slice of cake!

Finally....I can always figure my scale will be 2 - 3 pounds heavier during my period even if I am eating the exact same. So I just avoid the scale during that time.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    dark chocolate.