Lost some, but...

Options
Ok, so I'm really proud of the fact that I have lost 40 pounds and kicked my binge eating habit out the door; but even with the weight-loss I don't feel as though I have lost 40 pounds. I look at other peoples before and after photos of losing like 20 pounds and I see a huge difference, but when I compare pictures of myself from 40 pounds ago I don't see much of anything different. I don't get it. :/

Replies

• pixijude
    pixijude Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    i think it takes a long time to see it on yourself!!!dont beat yourself!you've done amazing!!!you should be really proud of yourself :) have you tried measurements?i'm gonna try that as a way of looking at progress instead pictures cause iv only started x
  • moonlightturk
    Options
    Remember it take 4 weeks for you to see your body changing, 8 weeks for friends and family to see, and 12 weeks for the rest of the world! KEEP GOING!! 40lbs is a huge success, sometimes you can't tell by just looking at the mirror. Do you have b4 and after photos?
  • Ziggyzambo
    Ziggyzambo Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I know it sucks. If you have a lot to lose, even a big change on the scale can be hard to see. Remember though that you see yourself every day, so it can be hard to notice the changes.
  • allyjoy83
    allyjoy83 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    40 lbs is a HUGE accomplishment!!! You should totally be over the moon about what you've achieved. You're totally :smokin: !

It can be very difficult for us to congratulate ourselves, especially when the accomplishment is based in comparison of ourselves to others. You have to remember that you are successful for getting this far, and that any step closer to your goal is another success regardless of what you think you "should" look like at that point. You're kicking *kitten* and taking names, and it ain't over 'til it's over.
  • scandiebirdie
    scandiebirdie Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Are you kidding me? 40 lbs is a huuuuuuge amount - I am so impressed and well done to you!!!

Grab a pair of jeans or a top from "40 lbs ago" - something that was a bit snug or uncomfortable. Put it on - feel the difference :))

Keep going - 40 lbs is a massive result!!!
  • ephemerata
    ephemerata Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    have you looked into the possibility of body dysmorphic disorder? you mention that you had disordered eating, and BDD can often be co-morbid with an eating disorder, OCD, or depression. there is a component of bdd that renders you incapable of being objective about yourself, and for understanding when your body is changing. on any given day, i am shocked that i weigh what i do, and often over-shoot my own weight by about twenty to thirty lbs.. i have no concept of how i appear to other people either in size or general attractiveness.
  • maryannmiclat
    maryannmiclat Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I didn't take measurements at the heaviest because I was embarrassed. As for before photos, I did manage to find some pictures from my heaviest and was able to compare my face now to then. I can see a difference! :) I just took some random pictures in the mirror this morning to compare to those I took with the first 15 that I lost, I can see some change in my waist and stomach. @ scandiebirdie, I took your advice and tried on a shirt... its an 18/20 that didn't even come close to closing 4 months ago, now it buttons up! It doesn't look all that great (but then anything with buttons and a large chest never does), but it buttons! Thanks for your kind words everyone. :)