Working Midnights and Trying to Lose Weight

Options
Does anyone else have the tough task of working midnights and figuring out sleep, workout & eating schedules? I'm finding it impossible to get a full nights sleep and fit workouts into my busy midnight schedule and was wondering if anyone has any tips.... Thanks!!

Replies

• typingathome
    typingathome Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Hi.. Add me if you like. I work 11 pm to 7 am typing at home. I also am going in for a sleep study because over the last few months I have been having episodes of waking up gasping for breathe. It is hard to work all night, get sleep during the day and still make time for healthy food choices and exercise. The best thing I found was I try to eat something every two hours. Greek yogurt, almonds, tuna, even a pepsi if I am good on calories. I have had added little exercise to my life right now because of being so exhausted with this sleep apnea thing. Hopefully once I can get a restful 6 or 7 hours of sleep, I can get the DVDs out and get serious on the exercising too. Wishing you luck on your journey.
  • neiceemary
    neiceemary Posts: 20
    Options
    Either of you can feel free to add me, I work 11pm-7am part time - it's rough!
  • pinkprincess1952
    pinkprincess1952 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I think one of the reasons I cant lose weight is because I work nights...
  • tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I work 9pm to 8am. I find it is easier for me to workout when I get up around 6pm. I've tried working out when I get home in the morning, but usually am too tired or it gets me pumped up and I can't sleep. As far as food goes, I have my meals listed by times (12am to 7am, 8am to 2pm and 3pm to 9pm) this is because I often eat at odd times. It works best for me. Plus, if I have gone over on calories but find I am hungry, I only have to wait til midnight to eat again! =) Now as far as sleeping goes, it helps to darken your room. My room is pitch black when the lights are off. Good luck to you! You can add me as a friend if you like! =)
  • adawndowning
    Options
    I have worked 7pm-7am for the last 4 years and here is what has been working for me so far: I count my day as from the time I wake up to the time I go to sleep---no midnight to midnight for me! It's just easier to keep track of for me, and that doesn't allow me to tell myself at 0200 that its ok to have a few slices of pizza or a brownie thinking I will just eat less later...later I will starving! Workouts are really the hardest with 14 hours a day commited to work when you add in commute time. When I get home I'm going to get in a short 30 minute walk and see how that works out. If I'm unable to sleep, I will have to go back to working out before my shifts...which I hate because I use that time to relax with my BF and cook my meals for the evening. I'll let you know how it goes!

5958794.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • LC2281
    LC2281 Posts: 8
    Options
    I work 7pm to 7am shifts. I'm on maternity leave at the moment and am working out 6 days a week. I go back August 6. The plan is to work out after getting back from work. Some of my coworkers do it, but it scares me! Lol! I don't think I could do it before work, I'd be too tired at work and my patients will be depending on me to keep a sharp mind! We will see how I do. I pray I have the strength and perseverance!
  • pinkprincess1952
    Options
    I work 7pm to 7am shifts. I'm on maternity leave at the moment and am working out 6 days a week. I go back August 6. The plan is to work out after getting back from work. Some of my coworkers do it, but it scares me! Lol! I don't think I could do it before work, I'd be too tired at work and my patients will be depending on me to keep a sharp mind! We will see how I do. I pray I have the strength and perseverance!

I work 7pm to 7am
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    i have two 40+ hr/wk jobs (primarily a busy nightshift in the ER) and i go to school

i still work out 4-5 times a week and stay relatively close to calorie goal. it is hard as ƒÜ¢|< but guess what? I want it bad enough that i WILL make it happen.
  • santi251
    santi251 Posts: 47
    Options
    I work overnight frm 10:30pm - 7am. I need less hours when I work out. For me, I eat a small breakfast and about an half hour or hour after, I sleep. Then I wake up about 2pm, eat small lunch and then hour later,go to the gym for about an hour and a half. Then come home, clean a bit, and then shower and eat a small dinner. Then I usually sleep for about an hour then get up for work and pack something light and then head off to work. I do this routine M-F. It's kind of a crazy routine but for now, I am satisfied. I also count from breakfast calories to my snack calories at work. That has been working for me thus far. P.S. Need the motivation from other people so feel free to add me if you like! Good luck to everyone!
  • tony1307
    tony1307 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I work 5:30pm-4am.
    I typically do my workout in the afternoon, right before I get ready for work.
    I also have my food input broken down by times, rather than brkfst/lunch/dinner...
  • dwtimeoutt
    dwtimeoutt Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    It is very hard to lose weight when working the overnight. I take my foods with me to work. When things are quiet I walk in circles or across the room and back. I try to do this for 10 minutes every hour. Most days I go for a walk after work but yes, my sleep has suffered for it.
  • jennifery1970
    jennifery1970 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree chocolateendv, if I want it bad enough I will be able to fit everything in... I was looking for tips... never hurts to ask the people that are making it happen for tips....;o) I also work a second job during the day as well... keep up the awesome work!! ;o)
  • MetallicaGrl
    MetallicaGrl Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been doing midnight to 8am for nearly a decade. I had gained about fifty pounds over that time frame. I've lost about 40 the past year and a half.

Exercise- I have been trying to fit in here and there. I am able to do a lot of unrestricted movement at work, so I've been using that to my advantage. Tons of extra stairs and Walking faster. Most recently I joined a boot camp for 8 weeks, and it really did a huge amount for my body, but my sleep suffered big time as the class was running during nap time! Was hard but worth it!

Food has been my biggest problem. When I wake up the rest of my family is just sitting down to dinner, and I end up having dinner for Breakfast. Not ideal! To be honest that part hasn't changed, but I just take smaller portions, and eat as healthy as I can while at work. Fruits and veggies have become my buddies lol.

So for me, better food choices at work and picking up my movements have really paid off.
  • pinkprincess1952
    Options
    Very tired tonight... gonna sleep all day tomorrow...
  • brandonswor
    Options
    I work nights as well and hate the people who say if you eat after 5pm... you gain weight, well then I'd never eat. I tend to get up around 4pm. and I eat as soon as I get up if you don't like eating early try a low calorie breakfast shake. and I try to eat every 2 to 3 hours. 3 hours after meals and 2 hours after snacks. eating light all day helps sustain your blood sugar levels so you don't want to overly snack and to not eat large meals. I like the 80 calorie yogurts and 100 calorie granola bars. Seems to work for me but sometimes I fall off my routine. It's all about keeping track of when you eat. Works for me.
  • alexandrahusk
    alexandrahusk Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I work nights and count my calories from the time I wake up until I go to bed. I try to fit in my workouts once I get home, but sometimes it messes with my sleep. I am WIRED after I workout. Since I work three 12 hour shifts a week I have four days off which is nice to really hit my workouts hard, but I have not had trouble losing weight at this point!
  • pinkprincess1952
    Options
    So whould one eat at lunch time during the night because they say you shouldnt eat passed 8pm?