Biggest Fear : Losing all the weight & having loose skin!

Options
So...

I guess my biggest fear is that I am going to shed 65-100lbs (maybe more) and have all that loose, flappy, skin :(

Is there anyone here who either lost a lot of weight that has that problem? And what are your options now to do about it?

Or someone who had the same worry as me, but worked hard to make that not happen, and how?

Is it just a combination of strength training and cardio... or is there a method to it????

Replies

• shannonjamie
    Options
    I lost 20kg and felt awful in my skin and have since put it all back on. I might be big but at least i fit my skin right lol. This time i am determined to do it slowly and work it. If i notice it getting a bit slack i am going to give it a bit to re-adjust. Also doing cardio and weights so i have the strength underneath to hold it and pull it in until it sits naturally in place. Thats my hope anyway. It didn't stretch over night and it also wont shrink over night
  • gemmalouise85
    gemmalouise85 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    It my biggest fear, has ive had children and had lots stretch marks and the mummy apron sag, and everything is against my body to tone itself.

and i know for certain surgery isnt an option.
    1, i could never afford it
    2, I couldnt put myself at risk for vanity and leave my kids

I know sounds bad but really dislike even going to hospital.
  • alyss88
    alyss88 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    That is my question too. I used to watch the Biggest Loser, and at the finale show, it seemed as if none of those people really had any loose skin. Is it because they exercised continuously? Are cardio and weight training the trick to prevent that? I hope someone will let us know. I have 80lbs to lose. I am afraid of the excess skin. Surgery is not an option for me due to finances. Anyone have any ideas?
  • Puddles0308
    Options
    I'm no expert and havent lost a significant amount of weight to give a clear answer. But I plan on losing my weight very slowly and strength training the whole way through. I'm hoping that will help with the dreaded loose skin.
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    A bit of loose skin is inevitable with that kind of loss (im down 54lbs with another 50 to go!) im never going to have the body of someone who has not been overweight, but i'm not looking too bad. If you lose the weight slowly with plenty of exercise (especially weights), that should give the skin chance to catch up :-)
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I am in my 40s, and have lost 100 lbs. It has taken me a year and I do both cardio and strength training.

I have a some loose skin around my chest and lower stomach, but not enough for me to even contemplate surgery. If I wear the the right swimwear (even a bikini) it doesn't really show, and in my view, its preferable to being fat.

Its my understanding that the younger you are, the more elastic your skin is, and also good genes help. I definately noticed improvements when I started strength training and swimming, so the sooner you begin that, the better. Also, keep yourself hydrated by drinking plenty of water and moisterising.

Good luck.
  • Ivyzmama
    Ivyzmama Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    OP, you're only 30; your skin will shrink back before you know it. Back in my mid-30's I went from 210 lb to 127 lbs, losing 1 - 2 pounds a week, and by the time I was at 127 I didn't have any lose skin. There were some lose skin stages in between but not like the way they make it look on TV & nothing that was hanging out over the top of my jeans, if you know what I mean. On the TV shows, plastic surgeons donate their time for those lose skin surgeries. The people on the shows don't need the surgery but it's being done cause it's free and the plastic surgeons want the publicity. Using moisturizer, avoiding tanning and getting some massages if necessary will take care of it. They also have FDA approved laser skin tightening now, too, done at a lot of doctor's offices.
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Well, would you rather be overweight, or be in shape with a little extra skin?

And if it comes down to it, you can get surgery to "fix" what you can't with strength training and other things
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I lost 100 lbs about 3 years ago. I did have some loose skin... breasts, stomach, inner thigh... but none of it very bad, better than staying obese, and it's possible that losing it slower and having a realistic/average weight goal could lessen it. I lost the weight in less than a year.
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    My brother knows a trainer and according to him, the best way to keep sagging from happening is to try to lose weight gradually and do toning exercises and some weight lifting.
  • LCFulmer
    LCFulmer Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert and havent lost a significant amount of weight to give a clear answer. But I plan on losing my weight very slowly and strength training the whole way through. I'm hoping that will help with the dreaded loose skin.

What she said... I'm making sure I include pushups and ab work to help with this. Slow and steady is the key.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    This is normal. Exercising will help lessen it. Use weights. Your body will be toned and less floppy.
  • jennkain97
    jennkain97 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    i read an article about this not too long ago (can't find it now). exercise will help a bit, but more important is that you keep hydrated (inside and out), and get plenty of protein in your diet -- at least 1/3 of your calories (which is more than what mfp default settings say. you'd have to go in and manually change them). also healthy fats (olive oil, nuts, etc...). massage and/or light brushing (w/ a natural bristle brush) also help stimulate the skin to improve elasticity.

hope that helps!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    It all comes down to individual basis when this question gets asked... There are alot of factors that play into it like your age, your starting weight, how much you want/have to lose, did you strength training from the beginning, what your diet looked like, Is you skin stretched out so much it can not go back to where it once was, etc, etc... But the only true way to look at this is am I better off dealing with some loose skin over the fact thay my obesity is eventually gonna cause me health problems (if it hasn't already). I started this journey at 560 lbs. unable to walk more than 20 ft. at a stretch and know (bad knee's and all) I go to the park and walk 6-8 miles a few times a week and can jump on an Elliptical for 90 minutes at a time.. Do I have loose skin (you bet ya!!) and is it uncomfortable at times (Yep), and do I constantly have bouts with cellulitis and skin rashes (Oh Ya!!) but I can tell you if I had it all to do over again I would not hesitate because living life is far better than putting up with some loose skin... On another note start saving now, find out how much a tummy tuck or a body lift is going to cost and if you can start set back money for that surgery... I knew going it that I was going to need intervention at some point so I have been setting some back and preparing as best I can for it... Best of Luck..
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Yep. I've lost 175 lbs and have loose skin for days. Strangely, not in my abdomen so much (though there's some there, in my tummy, where my butt once was, where my "back boobs" once were) but where I carried huge amounts of weight - my arms and legs. I'm the only person I know who has lots of loose skin even on my lower arms and calves. Let's not even talk about my upper arms and thighs.

How much loose skin you'll have depends on amount of excess weight, how long you've had it (the longer the skin has been stretched, the less it regains elasticity), genetics and age (older folks have less resilient skin regardless of how long they've been obese).

There's a myth that losing slower will allow your skin to bounce back (not true). There's another that exercise will tighten the skin (not true - it does improve the appearance by putting muscle under there to fill it out so it's a good thing, but it doesn't affect the skin itself at all). There are lots of other things folks suggest but not one has any evidence to support it. The only thing that absolutely works is plastic surgery.

That said, when I weighed 319 lbs my body didn't look good either in clothes or out. Now I look great in clothes and frankly the skin is no worse now than the fat was then.

Here's the kicker: I'm healthy. And fit. And energetic. So I don't look any better naked than I did - it was well worth the trade.
  • nrd2212
    nrd2212 Posts: 128
    Options
    I have lost 106 lbs in 11 months and I dont have loose, hanging flaps. I have a little bit of wobbly arms (batwings) and a lot of stretch marks. I didn't even start any strength training until about 8 months in. I was just doing Wii just dance for my exercise at first. But, I'm also 22, so I may not be the best example.
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options

This is the best strategy IMO to minimize the risk of loose skin. The MFP group I'm a part of, Eat More 2 Weigh Less, uses this strategy. Healthy food, strength training, and slow loss for a winning combo. Good luck on your journey! :)
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    For a lot of people, that which they think is loose skin is actually the fat attached to the skin and not the skin itself. A manual skinfold test, comparing loose skin areas to the back of your hands and forearms (where there is very little fat attached to the skin) should show you whether your loose skin areas still have a significant amount of fat or not.

Losing more slowly does not help your skin tighten up faster than losing faster. It actually has the opposite effect, it tightens more slowly, however since you are also losing slowly, proportionally it doesn't get as out of whack. Skin tightens as the stresses on it from fat are removed.

It tightens up over time. I lost 75 lbs and had a fair amount of loose skin in my belly area (looked a bit like a deflated balloon) at my lowest weight and in the time I approached that low weight. I got to a pretty low BF% to get as much fat off the skin as possible and have been bulking since. The loose skin has noticealby disappeared in the 2 months since my lowest weight. There are still some remnants, but I have a lot of confidence that they will disappear over the coming months.
  • redscylla
    redscylla Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Your skin is a bodily organ. It requires proper care and nutrition, too. If you're hydrating properly, your skin will benefit. It will also benefit from good nutrition. Vitamin C, E, iron, zinc, potassium, and fatty acids from fish and nuts are all linked to healthier skin. You can also hydrate from the outside by applying a quality lotion (nothing fancy). The healthier your skin is, the easier it will be for it to adapt to changes like lost fat.
  • FelicityEliza36
    FelicityEliza36 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! All of your information I greatly appreciate.

I am 30 years old and have been heavy for most of my life. Right now I am losing about 2 lbs a week - have lost 9 lbs in 30 days and just started going to the gym. Today I did .5 mi on the elliptical, 1 mile on treadmill, and 2 miles on the bike and I plan on getting some small weight training / toning in too. I've been doing sit ups and crunches at night at home hoping that will help - and just looking forward to a better me....

flappy skin or not. I was just curious :) lol