to much sugar intake

Options
I need advice.. I love fruit and I always notice that my sugar is always higher by 40 to 100 percentage more than what it needs to be.. Can somone tell me if natrual sugar is bad or good and if it is still bad how I can lower the sugar.. I eat fruit and vegatables more than I eat any kind of meat. The fruits are what keeps my calories up.. Thank you for your thoughts... Jules

Replies

• mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    hmmm... well health wise fruit sugar is much better then like a snicker bar! hehe.. but yes.. fruit sugars add up too!
    hmmm try to lower your portion size maybe? replace a fruit you normally have and have a veggie instead...
    (you could also google lower sugar/glycemic fruits) and get those =)
  • FLCullen
    FLCullen Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have exactly the same problem. Some weight lose plans (Weight Watchers, Slimming World, Skinny B***h) are all for the fruit eating, but MFP and low-carb diets aren't really big fans. As a compromise, a friend of mine told me to eat all the fruit sugars I want before lunch, but then avoid them from 2pm onwards. I have more or less ignored this advice (it tastes too good, and I don't want to be the girl in the office who snacks on brocolli stems), but if you have some kind of self-discipline you could give it a go!
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    If I understand what is going on correctly, the MFP sugar recommendation is way off because they have set the maximum sugar as the recommended maximum *added* sugar, but then include naturally occurring sugars in fruit and dairy, etc. So basically, watch for your carbs, not your sugar.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If its sugar from fruit dont worry about it. The advantage to fruit is it also has fiber which your body cant process so it ends up burning more calories eliminating it.
  • Nix_
    Nix_ Posts: 94
    Options
    I recently tried unsweetened almond milk 0.2g of sugar per 200ml, compared to skimmed milk at 10g per 200ml, so maybe switch? :)

Your chocolate milk comes in quite high as well, along with the sunny d... so maybe cut back, or look for alternatives. Personally I'd rather each an orange than have orange juice, and I think alpro (almond milk) do a chocolate version too, not sure what that is like though!

Also, maybe try some different cereal, like cornflakes, weatabix, porridge, shredded - all lower in sugar.

A few little things you can switch up :)
  • miniberger
    miniberger Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    If its sugar from fruit dont worry about it. The advantage to fruit is it also has fiber which your body cant process so it ends up burning more calories eliminating it.

This. If you are still concerned I would look into glycemic indexes. I find that sugar is only really a problem for me if it spikes my blood sugar too much and then I'm STARVING an hour later. This doesn't happen to me with most fruits, but I can count on it with candy.
  • 20shan08
    20shan08 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Personally, I used to be crazy about my sugar intake. But now, if it is fruit that is putting me over, which it always is, I don't sweat it. I'll have a banana, apple and strawberris in a day, making my sugar very high. But, if it's coming from fruit, I don't even bother looking.
  • julesw734
    julesw734 Posts: 100
    Options
    Thank you for you suggestions and thoughts.. I called my cardio doctor and he said as long as my glucose levels are good and it is all natural sugar I would be ok..
  • julesw734
    Options
    If I understand what is going on correctly, the MFP sugar recommendation is way off because they have set the maximum sugar as the recommended maximum *added* sugar, but then include naturally occurring sugars in fruit and dairy, etc. So basically, watch for your carbs, not your sugar.
    You know I thought the same thing.. my sugar max on this forum is really low and since most fruits and veggies has some sugar it is almost impossible to not go over..
  • momjulia101
    momjulia101 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Personally, I used to be crazy about my sugar intake. But now, if it is fruit that is putting me over, which it always is, I don't sweat it. I'll have a banana, apple and strawberris in a day, making my sugar very high. But, if it's coming from fruit, I don't even bother looking.

I'm glad to hear this! I've noticed that when I eat a lot of fruit it puts me over in sugar just as much as when I eat chocolate.
    I'm going to ignore the fruit sugar grams.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I personally would clarify to say that sugars from WHOLE, raw fruit you shouldn't really worry about.

Juices are a different animal.
  • trudence1
    trudence1 Posts: 34
    Options
    Thanks so much for asking this question. It answered something that had been bothering me for the last couple of days.
  • Masq
    Masq Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I changed my sugar to 100 .... I eat a decent amount of fruit each day (3 to 4 servings) - it always put me over the sugar that MFP has set, so I changed it.

My Home ~ Goals ~ Change Goals ~ Custom
  • julesw734
    Options
    I changed my sugar to 100 .... I eat a decent amount of fruit each day (3 to 4 servings) - it always put me over the sugar that MFP has set, so I changed it.

My Home ~ Goals ~ Change Goals ~ Custom
    Thanks for interating.. I did not know that you could change your settings..
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Also, you dont need to track sugar. Sugar is a carb and if your carbs are moderate, then your sugars will be moderate.
  • rocksoutforcheese
    Options
    Try swapping your regular fruit for cantaloupe, honeydew melon, and berries. They are lower in sugar, high in fiber, and when eaten with fat (i.e. cottage cheese, egg) it will have less of an impact on your blood sugar.
  • jilliebk
    jilliebk Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    My doc said the fruit sugar is ok. its the bad carb sugar. I eat alot of fruits sometimes all day. Keeps me feeling full
  • phillieschic
    phillieschic Posts: 615
    Options
    I've posted this a million times and I still stand behind it:

I don't worry about the natural sugars in fruit in veggies in terms of my sugar intake. I count them and log them as their calories and nutrients are important, but our bodies react to and process natural sugars differently than man-made or over-processed sugars found in sweets and junk food.

I eat 3-4 servings of fruit a day and usually 3 servings of veggies a day, too. My sugars are over by a lot every single day, but knowing that 97% of it is from natural sources is fine by me. It works for me in terms of weight loss and the overall way I feel every day.

:drinker:
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    In....for a wealth of misinformation.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    The benefit of fruit sugar is that it comes with the other benefits of fruit, the fiber and other nutrients. It's still sugar and your body treats it the same, just healthier than the other stuff because of what is around it. I am over my sugar "allotment" every day but mostly due to naturally occurring sugars.