Runners: Any suggestions for slowing pace?

Options
lporter229
lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
I know this may sound like an odd question, but does anyone have any tips for slowing your pace for longer runs? I have noticed a natural increase in my pace lately, but the problem is that I can't sustain it for a long distance. My half-marathon pace has always been in the 9:35-9:40 range. Recently, my natural pace is falling in around 9:00 minutes. I wear a Garmin to track my pace and when I notice that it's faster, I slow down, but inevitably I end up right back there. The problem is, I can only sustain this pace for 6-8 miles tops. Does anyone have any suggestions for holding back your pace and keeping it there in order to go the distance/

Replies

• lporter229
    Options
    Bump
  • ofccat
    ofccat Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Do you listen to music? Maybe try a slower BPM song list? I was using the MAF training to work on my pace and needed to slow down and it was a pain constantly looking at my HRM and slowing myself down.
  • lporter229
    Options
    Do you listen to music? Maybe try a slower BPM song list? I was using the MAF training to work on my pace and needed to slow down and it was a pain constantly looking at my HRM and slowing myself down.

That is a great idea! Don't know why I didn't think of that. Thanks!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Actually, smaller strides is a better idea. You should aim to keep your RPM constant at around 90/180 (depending on how you look at it)... but a smaller stride will help you to slow down. Or, you can do it by HRM... stick to 70% MHR and no higher for long runs.
  • ofccat
    ofccat Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Actually, smaller strides is a better idea. You should aim to keep your RPM constant at around 90/180 (depending on how you look at it)... but a smaller stride will help you to slow down. Or, you can do it by HRM... stick to 70% MHR and no higher for long runs.

Good idea too but I could not train myself to run shorter strides personally.
  • lporter229
    Options

Good idea too but I could not train myself to run shorter strides personally.

Me either. That's what I try to do to slow down, but I just end up back at my normal stride after a minute or two.
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I just run on a higher incline. That forces me to go slower.
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options

This is what I do too, much like you OP, I tend to take off and burn out sooner.
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    When I did long runs, I had this problem too. I'd go too quickly at the beginning and wear myself out. My husband told me to just watch my heart rate, keeping it down at about 140-155 seemed to do the trick. You just have to watch your HRM for the first few miles and then you should get the hang of it.
  • geordiegirl27
    geordiegirl27 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    that is a good question and one I've not had the luxury to need to worry about, but I am training my mum to do a half marathon and she has a tendancy to shoot off so I'm pacing her at a slower pace than I'm used too.

I use the garmin, my model has a training partner & you can set it to race you,, or in your case slow you down - not sure off hand how to set it up but its in there under training options (I have the 305) might be worth setting it at the pace you want and dont let yourself get infront of it.

means you're spending your time concentrating on your pace and less about the run :) good luck for the training and the race
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Curious about this too
    On my way to work, want to read this later just posting so I remember to check this thread when I get home later! Thanks for posting. Sorry I'm useless.
  • katefurneaux
    katefurneaux Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this helps, i'm training for a half marathon and eat a jelly tot at each mile. Theres only 66 calories in 20 and i eat about 12 on an 8 mile run. You really notice the difference. I'm also eating a banana before i leave.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Try changing your breathing to your footfall. For long, slow runs I do three steps breathing in (left, right, left) and three out. Once I'm up to two-two I'm going too fast.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    There are only 2 ways to slow down, shorter strides, or less turnover. You have to make a conscious effort to do one or the other.