Bikram yoga virgin

Options
So I am no where near my usual fitness level , I do a bootcamp class for an hour twice a week and that's about all at the moment. I have never done a yoga class (or pilates or anything similar) in my life but everyone is obsessed with bikram yoga and I really want to give it a go!

The classes say beginners are fine, but I figure thats newbies to bikram not newbies to yoga in general! Is it hard? Is it over my head? Would doing standard yoga first be a benefit or are they not THAT similar?

Any help would be great!

Replies

• jamies76
    jamies76 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    No former yoga experience is necessary. The instructor has a dialogue that walks you through each posture. As a beginner, you'll be in the back row and will have the students in front of you as an example.

The biggest thing to deal with will be the heat and humidity. It's not for everyone. I wrote up these tips awhile back--wish I'd had them for MY first class!

Preparing for Your First Bikram Yoga Class

What you’ll need:

-Yoga mat (studios often rent them)
    -Large beach towel (studios often rent them)
    -Extra towel for after class
    -Two bottles of water (studios often sell them). 1 bottle for during class and 1 to keep in changing room for after class
    -Plastic bag for your wet yoga clothes
    -Loose, comfortable, easy to change into clothing for after class

What to wear:

Women:
    -Sleeveless work-out tank or sports bra*
    -Spandex or compression shorts*
    -Securely pull back long hair and use headband for shorter parts
    *Material needs to be thin enough to allow easy movement in all directions, have moisture-
    wicking qualities, and allow the skin to breathe. (Similar to swimsuit material.) Don’t wear
    something rigidly tight.

Men:
    -Running shorts or swim trunks*
    -Loose tank top if desired
    *My husband pointed out that running shorts that contain inner “underwear” are probably better
    than swim trunks that only contain mesh inners. This way you don’t risk showing off your jewels
    to the rest of the class. (Even if you like doing that, and yogis are very accepting of the body, they
    still don’t want to see that!)

Tips:

>If time permits, start drinking half your weight in ounces of water the day before you go to class. You may want to stop drinking water at least an hour before class so that you don't have pressure on your bladder during practice.

>Avoid large, heavy meals the day of class, and be sure to leave about two hours in-between your last meal and practice.

>Come to class with a clean body and face, and especially be sure to remove any moisturizers. They not only pose a danger by making your body extremely slippery and difficult to grip, but also inhibit sweating and cooling of the skin. You’ll feel like you’re wrapped in warm plastic wrap! It also avoids makeup or skin products running into your eyes.

>Brush your teeth and rinse your mouth well before class. It helps with the thirst and you won't risk urpy-ness with the combination of heat and strong flavor.

>Arrive at least 15 minutes early for new student check-in. This way you’re not rushed and more likely to get a good spot in the room. Ask the instructor for the best location for a first-timer. Be sure to check the ceiling as you’re choosing a spot--it's not a good idea to place yourself right under a heat vent for your first class.

>It’s hot yoga--you’re going to sweat. Deal with it. Obsessively wiping off your body only wastes energy.

>Get rid of expectations and competitiveness. You may see regular students who are older, heavier, and more infirm than you breezing through class. They’re used to the practice--you aren’t. Don’t compete with anybody, including yourself. Your body and mind are up for different possibilities every day. As long as you do your best to go into the posture correctly then you are reaping the benefits, regardless of how inflexible you may be.

>DO NOT hold your breath and push yourself at any time. This isn't like any sort of sport or workout routine you're used to. Once again, it's not a competition. All you'll do is make yourself dizzy and/or sick.

>If you start to feel dizzy stand perfectly still and straight with your shoulders pulled down and back, your hands hanging loosely at your sides, and raise your eyes just a bit. Look at the point where the wall meets the ceiling. Keep your eyes open! Don't tilt your head back or you'll probably fall over on your butt. Breathe slowly through your nose. It is perfectly fine to stand/sit out a posture if you need to. Sometimes even regular students have to sit out.

>If you need to catch your breath make sure you're standing up straight with your shoulders pulled down and back with your hands hanging loosely at your sides. Keep your eyes open! Slouching, standing with your hands on your hips, or leaning over with your hands on your knees impedes your diaphragm. This makes it harder to breathe and jacks with your blood pressure, not to mention increases any dizziness. If you're feeling bad enough that you can't remain standing either sit Japanese style or lay flat on your back. Remember--it is perfectly fine to stand/sit out a posture. However, be aware that lying down can increase the spinning-room effect, as does closing your eyes.

>Don't guzzle water during class, especially during the standing series, at the beginning of the practice. It really won't make you feel any better--all you need it for is to wet your mouth and tongue. If you drink a lot during class there's a good chance it'll come back up, especially if you gulp water right before Balancing Stick.

>If you have time after class take a quick rinse in the showers, even if you’ll shower as soon as you get home. This helps cool you down and prevent acne break outs.

>Drink plenty of water for the rest of the day, and be sure to also include a sports drink or something to replace the electrolytes you lost during practice. Sometimes all the water you can drink won’t prevent a headache, but a sports drink will. I prefer something natural, such as coconut water (not milk). Many studios sell electrolyte packets.

>Believe it or not, it really does help the soreness to go back to class as soon as you can!
  • claire_90
    claire_90 Posts: 99
    Options
    wow brilliant! thank you for the tips! :)
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    excellent post Jamies

I love bikram. Unfortunately where I live now there isnt a studio anywhere close.

It is truly addicting. During the first class, you may wonder what the heck you were thinking but after class, you will be wanting to go again.

Namaste
  • rvagnoni
    rvagnoni Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Very interesting
  • jamies76
    Options
    Good luck with your first class! Let us know what you think.
  • JennyZD
    JennyZD Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    The second post covered all the bases I believe. I LOVE yoga, I practice Power Vinyasa, Power Yoga in a heated studio. I've tried Bikram Yoga and dislikeeee it sooooooo much!!!!! I can do it for a week, after that it's so boring for me, same poses all the time! Bikram Yoga doesn't cover many things I like to do, like chaturangas or head/hand stands and meditation!

Just a little bit of unsolicited opinion :)
  • Craighbruce
    Options
    It really is/can be for newbies....I'd injured my foot running and wanted some low/zero impact exercise to keep my fitness up. I had no real idea what yoga was, had never done any variety or anything similar such as pilates. I would also describe myself as inflexible!

I signed up to a 3 class taster session and have been going every day since...tomorrow will be my 65th consecutive day of Bikram and I feel great. You really will get out of the classes what you put into them - like every exercise in life! Some classes you will have more people sitting down for a breather than others, and it's not always the new folks.

The benefits to general cardio fitness and flexibility are undeniable - once my foot had healed and without having done much running training in the meantime I took part in a 10k race, completing it in 46:17 at the age of 43. That was 2mins faster than my personal best and 4mins faster than when I ran the same race 3 years ago.
  • Shayzeepoo
    Shayzeepoo Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I'm new at yoga, took a trial class for one type a couple years ago... I'm starting Bikram yoga tomorrow.. I'm super nervous and excited too.

Good luck!
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    Bikram is fun.

Check your studio's web site for their own tips.
  • yogagirl1111
    yogagirl1111 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should practice some of the moves at home first. There are books by bikram that are fully illustrated. the owner of the studio loaned me his when i started.

http://www.amazon.com/Bikrams-Beginning-Class-Second-Edtion/dp/1585420204/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342569414&sr=8-1&keywords=bikram

First time may suck but I have done the 30 class in 30 days challange and I can tell you each time it gets better.
  • claire_90
    claire_90 Posts: 99
    Options
    oh cool thanks for the link yoga girl
  • Kess31
    Kess31 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Has anyone lost weight doing Bikram Yoga?
  • jamies76
    Options
    It probably depends on the individual, Kess31.

I didn't lose very much weight when I practiced regularly BUT I had awesome muscle tone and it was the easiest period of my life to maintain weight. I didn't fluctuate all over the place as I typically do.

My husband recently completed a 30 day challenge (hot yoga every day for 30 days) and he did not lose any weight. We took weekly photos and his body shape did change some.
  • klynn81
    klynn81 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I had never done yoga before in my life, and desperately wanted to try Bikram Yoga. So I rallied up the girls and we all went. Instantly fell in love with it. As a girl that was and still is well over 200+ lbs it didn't hold me back, and to be honest the instructors were always very good about modifications if you were new. Don't focus or worry about what the other people are capable of, just focus on your own practice. Give it a few tries before you decide if you like it or not, it may take some time to adjust to the heat.

As for the weight loss...sure you're gonna sweat buckets, and it is a good workout, but I never lost a ton of weight, but I was and am perfectly fine with that because there are SO many other benefits!!