Is it better to exercise everyday or have a day of rest?

Options
I read a site that it says to have a day or two to rest cause that is when the muscles build the most. ? Dont know if that is true or not. I have been exercising 6 days a week for 1 hr - 1.5 hrs and I am curious if anyone knows if exercising 7 days a week is okay? Or should I stay with working out 6 days a week?

Replies

• Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    You can exercise every day. It is the strength workouts that you shouldn't do every day. After using weights your muscles will need time to build. Cardio is different. So, if you are talking about biking, Zumba, kickboxing, etc. Every day is alright.
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I have always wondered about this too :)
    Thanks for the info SwissMiss x
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    you can do weights everyday if you split up,your workouts in legs one day, shoulders etc next. If you do full body workouts then should space them out.
  • jamime
    jamime Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Yeah I do stationary bike 6 days a week and do strength training 3 times a week. Okay thanks :)
  • jamime
    jamime Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    suziecue
    Oh I didnt know that. Thanks for the info. :)
  • workingforthatbody
    Options
    Thanks for posting I wondered about that too :)
  • kvissy
    kvissy Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    There should always be a rest day but you can make it an active rest day. Light cardio, yoga, lay off the weights, etc.
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    A rest day is good every once in a while.There have been a couple of times in recent weeks where I'll work really hard at the gym, but nothing will change on the scale, but then I take a day off and I'll drop a pound or two after my day off.

You also don't want to get burned out or injured, so that should factor in to your decision, but ultimately it's up to you & there's no wrong answer.
  • phinphanbill26
    phinphanbill26 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    If you're going to take a rest day, you need to reduce calories accordingly. I'm not a proponent of rest days. But i don't have a problem with them either. When you workout, you break down your muscles causing small tears. They need time to repair. a rest day every fourth or fifth day is not a bad idea if you are concerned about the condition or tiring of your body. Everyone is different.
  • Iain_9
    Iain_9 Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm no expert, I wish I was, but I tend to run every other day. I've never been a runner but took up the couch to 5 k challenge last year. After about 15 weeks, I went out for a run and injured myself quite badly, having just run 12.9miles in around 1hr 47min, for me, that was an awesome result....

I rested and recovered over winter 2011 and took up C25K again on the 16th May 2012, 3 months later I'm now running 4miles in under 37minutes and loving the way I look and feel. I'll never break any records, I'm not built for running, but I still want to lose another 10lbs or so, and with MFP and regular running it's going well.

I did try running every day, but my body just isn't ready for it, so, for cardio, I am now looking at alternating running and cycling, it's not easy being a shift worker including night shifts, but I am very self disciplined and push myself out there, with warm ups it's 45minutes out of life each day, but it's so worth it.

As others have said, it's personal preference, if your doing high impact workouts like running, it's easy to get injured, listen to your body, it'll tell you when you're doing too much. Just enjoy what your doing and don't over do it.
  • geordiegirl27
    geordiegirl27 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I've always been led to believe that rest days are as important as training days, your body needs time to repair and rest.

I did start running every day at the beginning of the year, got injured as I'd got tired. I'm now trying to incorporate 1 day of rest a week and 2 days with no running. I also now run & cycle and do some strength training, a good mix is good for you.

Above all listen to your body if you're tired & run down rest its all about enjoying it :)
  • Kipperdog123
    Options
    Have a day of rest, because your muscles need time to heal.