I need support I feel weak........

Options
I just started going back to the gym yesterday and I feel jealous. I don't mean to feel that way, but when I'm next to someone who can run for an hour straight with no problem or when I'm moving from one machine to the other and there are people smaller then me lifting more then double what I do. It makes me feel weak and pathetic. It makes me just want to quit..................................................... How long will it take me to get like that honestly??? A year? 5 years? 10 years? NEVER?????????????

Replies

• damiengarber
    Options
    The thing I always tell myself when I feel like that is..."Progress not Perfection". We can always crush it the way we want to right now but we'll get there eventually!
  • okinmaine
    okinmaine Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    You need to find a positive self mantra! Negative self statements are going to be what you believe. "say it til you believe it" or "Fake it til you make it!". The idea behind theses silly statements is that while you are not there yet, you believe that you will get there. Be proud of yourself for what YOU are doing. Comparing yourself to others is useless! They are not you. You are not them! Believe in yourself!!
  • phinphanbill26
    phinphanbill26 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    The only person at the gym you need to be competing with is yourself. Make the commitment for a better you. Use those other people at the gym as inspiration...not competition.
  • acarmickle1
    Options
    Most of thoes people had to start where you are and you will get there just stay postive and remember that you are doing it for you! you are doing it to be health, to feel great, to prove to yourself that this is what you want in your life! Keep going to the gym and ever week make goals to hit while your there, ie. if you can only run for 10 minutes this weee you want to run 11 next or 12 the next and so on! Keep your head up!
  • roodledoodle
    roodledoodle Posts: 183
    Options
    I know it's hard but try not to compare yourself to other people in a negative way, there will always be someone who can do more than you but you can be just as sure that there are those who can do less! Just remember that everybody has to start somewhere. Try and see these people as your inspiration, something to aim for. Set yourself realistic goals, however small they might seem and once you get there set another, then another etc. Fitness and keeping in shape is always about progression in one way or another.

Well done for getting back at the gym - that's the first thing you should be praising yourself for, at least you have made a start, the key is to stick with it :smile:
  • slbeall
    slbeall Posts: 2
    Options
    Felt that way too. Remember it's been one day. This is not a race but a marathon. Good for you getting back into the gym! I am about a month ahead of you....I saw the same thing, felt the same thing, but then I realized...I am just beginning my journey. Everyone else around me had a head start. Don't give up, it gets easier. I am lifting more, riding more (I Spin), and I can last longer than a month ago. Drink lots of water and go at your own pace, you are working your body no one else's. You took the first step, that's the hardest part.
  • Eisskween
    Eisskween Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    The only person at the gym you need to be competing with is yourself. Make the commitment for a better you. Use those other people at the gym as inspiration...not competition.

Very wise advice, can't top that.
  • urfitnesspal2
    urfitnesspal2 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Set a baseline of where YOU are and forget about what others are doing. Make a decision to go "all in" and stay with it. See where you are after a month. You should see some progress. If not, find someone who is accomplishing what you want to, explain your situation, and ask for their help.
  • Mrs_Sheila
    Mrs_Sheila Posts: 39
    Options
    I just started going back to the gym yesterday and I feel jealous. I don't mean to feel that way, but when I'm next to someone who can run for an hour straight with no problem or when I'm moving from one machine to the other and there are people smaller then me lifting more then double what I do. It makes me feel weak and pathetic. It makes me just want to quit..................................................... How long will it take me to get like that honestly??? A year? 5 years? 10 years? NEVER?????????????

Most people didn't start out the way you see them now! Time will change you and your body too! Hang in there, and don't give up! And trust me ~ they are NOT thinking the things about you that you are.
  • Coolhand1969
    Coolhand1969 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    How long will it take me to get like that honestly??? A year? 5 years? 10 years? NEVER?????????????

No one is answering that, and there is no definite answer, but let me tell you my situation. I was a hundred pounds overweight when I started and in your boat pretty much exactly. With a lot of hard work over the past eight months and daily dedication, I'm getting close to what you describe. I'm outlifting several guys I work with that had been lifting in our gym for a year or two when I started - but they aren't as dedicated - part timers I call them :) As far as running, I can't yet run an hour "no problem", but I can run an hour, as compared to about 20 or 30 seconds when I started. I've still got another 45-55 pounds to lose, and once that happens, it should help my running quite a bit more.
  • PixiePickle
    PixiePickle Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    everybody has to start from the bottom, this applies to most things in life. Don't forget, if you stick with it you will improve & before you know it you'll be the person that has he stamina that the new starter at the gym wants!!
    Unfortunately, I've learnt that getting in shape is a way of life & for me personally it's taken a while to find exercise that I can be motivated to do on a regular basis, and not just something that I'm going to do for a week before i get bored.
    I walk the dog, because I have to. I walk to work everyday & I worked out that I clock up nearly 4 miles a day & save myself nearly £900 a year in bus fare!!!
    I also do spin classes, Kettlercise, aquatone & swimming. I think it's good to mix it up so you don't get bored.
    I've been doing this for about 10 months & feel that I've got a long way to go with regards to fitness yet, but when I look back to how out of shape I was, I know that I have also come a long way too.
    Keep up the good work!!
    :bigsmile: