Daily Menu

Options
Quesiton for everyone - do most of you find that you have more success when you plan your meals each day and try to eat similar things throughout the week for each meal - or do you like switching it up and giving yourself a variety?

I was spending some time doing some research and looking at healthy weight loss superfoods and I was trying to come up with an idea for what I want to do during the work week for breakfast and lunch - and I think that might be helpful to go to the grocery store and get all the things I need for my breakfast (a greek yogurt and old fashioned oatmeal) and then stuff to make a healthy salad each day and some fruit, veggies, hummus and unsalted almonds for a snack!

Do any of you do this as well? If so what kind of things do you put in your menu, or what do you find works best for you?!

Replies

• djphranq
    djphranq Posts: 18
    Options
    Planning definitely helps me. I usually stick to a routine but every once in a while have to improvise depending on the situation.

Part of what keeps me sticking to my plan/routine is money. I'm trying to stick to a budget for groceries so its not like I can just throw whatever I want in the shopping cart. I try to stick to what is part of my routine meals... or at least close to it so as to not go over my allotted dollar amount.

Research is good. Find out what you might like and what might be good for you at the same time.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    healthy weight loss superfoods

What?
  • dsckrc
    dsckrc Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    i plan my meals everyday!!! boring, i know, but it keeps me on the right path. if i know what i'm allowed to eat, i don't stray as often. good luck on your journey...
  • sandybch926
    Options
    I like to mix it up, however I plan each weekly menu. I try and stick to the 80/20 rule.
  • jealous_loser
    Options
    I usually try to have the same breakfast every day during weekdays and I have in the past been good at making up some sort of couscous/pasta/something salad for lunches sunday nights. Dinners was usually a free for all. This way, I kinda know what I have for the day and how much for hte evening. It helps me that way. Also then I don't get bored!
  • cmmurphy20002003
    cmmurphy20002003 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I plan. If you plan ahead, even for a day or two, you can always be sure to have on hand the foods that you can eat, and eliminate the urge to go through a drive through! I also saw a tip on Extreme Loser-Weight Loss Edition. If you are going to a gym and get hungry on the way home, just don't carry your debit card or any money. That way all you could do is look anyway! Great idea I thought. I carry salad stuff to work but keep a "emergency" can of soup in my drawer, which I am having to use today because I forgot to pick up my bag on the way out the door this morning.
  • bootsandaj
    Options
    I meal plan every week. Keeps me on track with both eating and grocery shopping. I tend to keep breakfast and lunch the same every day, especially during the week. Dinners I mix up but have some key meals that I include all the time because they are low calorie, easy to make and tasty. I make sure I have left overs for the nights where I go out to workout. When I don't meal plan it is really easy to go off track and then end up having really bad weeks.
  • spanishkitten73
    Options
    I think planning is so much easier to be honest. I just went out and bought myself Smart Ones for breakfast and lunch and make myself a healthy dinner. Snacks I do in between are grapes, baby carrots, anything that will take my hunger away and drink lots and lots of water. Hope this was helpful!
  • laus_8882
    laus_8882 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I'm a weekly planner. It's helpful for grocery shopping; since I've started plotting and planning my assault on my rather large behind I've not wasted anything. Everything gets eaten because I only need to make one trip to the markets and then to the shops above to get what I need for the week. I hate waste so seeing an empty crisper and a fridge whose only contents are cheese, a jar of olives and a mostly empty tub of yoghurt makes me really happy. Plus since I'm not making weekday trips to the shops I'm not tempted by impulse buys and I'm spending less. Win win.
  • ccarre81
    ccarre81 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I have a weekly menu and pretty much stick to it.

I cook a nice meal everyday for supper... I switch up breakfast and lunch every week. Depending on what's on sale at the grocery store.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Quesiton for everyone - do most of you find that you have more success when you plan your meals each day and try to eat similar things throughout the week for each meal - or do you like switching it up and giving yourself a variety?

Breakfast: Refrigerator oatmeal or oatmeal and an egg. The things you can put in fridge oatmeal are many and varied, so I can have something different every day if I want, or if I find a nice recipe I can eat that for a few weeks. This past weekend I went blueberry picking and froze 19 quarts, but I kept a quart out for me, so fresh blueberries and peanut butter were today's flavor of the day.

Lunch: I pack a lunch, so on workdays it's pretty much the exact same thing every day, with a little variety (I get different flavored/types of tortilla for my turkey wrap, and different cheeses).

Supper: This is where my variety comes in. I adapt supper based on preferences and remaining calorie counts, leaving some calories aside for dessert of course! :)
  • mrsnathanandrew
    mrsnathanandrew Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I find that preplanning, whether it's the night before or the morning of that day, is best for me. I see it all logged on my page and it gives me structure which I like.
  • gorguslyjealous
    gorguslyjealous Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    healthy weight loss superfoods

What?

Foods like spinach, eggs, berries, apples, black beans, oats, avocado, salmon, broccoli, quinoa, brown rice, green tea, etc. that give your body the nutrients you need and help you be successful losing weight!