Absolutley gutted :(

Replies

• JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Thank you soooo much for all the replies everyone, its good to know that this is normal.

In relation to eating the below 1200 cals a day I think in trying to lose weight I've become afraid of food. Eating 8 or 900 cals a day feels like an achievement and I'm scared of eating in case I put on weight. I have a bit of an obsessive personality and I easily get hooked on things, I can't do things by halves its all or nothing which I think is why I've become to think eating below 1000 cals a day is a good thing.

x

Eating below 1000 calories is not a good thing, whether you tell yourself that or not. If you need motivation to eat, try to imagine how much harder it will be to lose weight if you mess up your metabolism by consistently undereating.
  • dunnweb
    dunnweb Posts: 49
    You need 1200 NET calories. That is calories eaten including how much you work out. Otherwise your metabolism is going to shut down.
  • Darlingir
    Darlingir Posts: 437
    oh my gosh...sounds like you are doing great! weight loss has a mind of it's own sometimes....just go with it.
  • Blaineyyy
    Blaineyyy Posts: 151 Member
    Your weight loss does tend to level out during the first few weeks because your body's getting used to it. Are you eating above your daily calorie level? Are you eating more when you exercise? Are you over-exercising? What kinds of foods do you eat? Are your macros level? Must watch out for sodium, sugar and fat levels, and try to get the majority of carbs from fruit and veg as they are good carbs, as well as a high level of protein for good muscle repair from your exercising, and extra energy! Are you getting enough sleep? Sleep helps curb snacking, at least for me. Are you due on? Have you increased your water recently? Do you weigh in daily or weekly? It should be weekly, if anything. There's loads of things that may have caused it.

Don't be disheartened, you'll start losing again - it's only week 3, christ! Chin up and keep at it. :)
  • ReachingNEON
    ReachingNEON Posts: 68 Member
    I don't know if you do this, but you should try weighing in once every couple of days. Because if you work hard and don't eat too much, but eat enough so you are not starving, you can only go down! And I had the same problem, so just take it slow, and if you are that determined to lose weight..it'll all fall into place. Drinking 8 or more glasses of water is good as well. :)
  • lesita75
    lesita75 Posts: 379 Member
    You've lost 8lbs in 3 weeks. That's nothing to be gutted over. You're doing great. It's not going to be a 5lb loss every time you step on the scale. Have realistic goals and know that it's going to come off slowly, like it's supposed to. That way it stays off.

Truth! I learnt that the hard way too OP - it's not a race, take your time, do it right, make it last forever :)

^^This!! You have to be patient. You didn't gain all of the weight over night so you won't lose it over night. Your weight will fluctuate daily this is just a part of life. The scale can be enemy # 1 at times. I would suggest you track your measurements. Sometimes you won't see it on the scale but, a tape measure will show an entirely different story. I had two occasions where the scale didn't budge for two weeks at a time; however, during those times I tracked my measurements at the end of it all I looked at the scale and yelled: "Liar, liar, pants on fire!!" The tape measure showed I had lost inches all over. Therefore, I was still making progress.
  • HollywoodDJ
    HollywoodDJ Posts: 296
    It fluctuates and you are going to have to be patient with yourself. Sometimes I think this whole MFP , trying to get healthy, lose weight thing is more about learning how our bodies respond and react to different foods, exercises etc then it is about anything else. I haven't lost really anything for 4 weeks now and I just have to be patient. It might be time to change things up a bit and get rid of foods in my diet that are possibly hindering me.

Hope you find the answers. Be patient with yourself.

ONE DAY AT A TIME too for goodness sakes! =)
  • You've lost 8lbs in 3 weeks. That's nothing to be gutted over. You're doing great. It's not going to be a 5lb loss every time you step on the scale. Have realistic goals and know that it's going to come off slowly, like it's supposed to. That way it stays off.

Truth! I learnt that the hard way too OP - it's not a race, take your time, do it right, make it last forever :)

^^This!! You have to be patient. You didn't gain all of the weight over night so you won't lose it over night. Your weight will fluctuate daily this is just a part of life. The scale can be enemy # 1 at times. I would suggest you track your measurements. Sometimes you won't see it on the scale but, a tape measure will show an entirely different story. I had two occasions where the scale didn't budge for two weeks at a time; however, during those times I tracked my measurements at the end of it all I looked at the scale and yelled: "Liar, liar, pants on fire!!" The tape measure showed I had lost inches all over. Therefore, I was still making progress.

I haven't been taking measurments but maybe that would be a good way to see loss other than on the scales....where do you measure?

x
  • You had 61 net calories on one day and the others are way below 1200 per day... You won't lose much weight doing that. Eat back your exercise calories and you will lose weight. Your Net calories should be 1200-1400 at the very least.

^^THIS!
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    aside from the fact you are not eating enough on most days, especially when you exercise, you should probably watch your sodium intake in your food diary..sodium is the thing that gets me..good luck, and PLEASE start eating more
  • lesita75
    First I was only track neck, waist, and hips. Now I am also tracking calves, thighs and lower stomach (have a pouch that is hanging on for dear life, but it is shrinking!!). You can add me if you'd like.
  • iron_jj
    iron_jj Posts: 446 Member
    Eat more! You can check out this thread, it has a lot of information and Dan explained it very well:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Eating less is not always better, food is NOT your enemy!

Keep hydrated, eat, exercise, be positive and most of all patient, it's not a race and you will get there. :flowerforyou:
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Thank you soooo much for all the replies everyone, its good to know that this is normal.

In relation to eating the below 1200 cals a day I think in trying to lose weight I've become afraid of food. Eating 8 or 900 cals a day feels like an achievement and I'm scared of eating in case I put on weight. I have a bit of an obsessive personality and I easily get hooked on things, I can't do things by halves its all or nothing which I think is why I've become to think eating below 1000 cals a day is a good thing.

x

Unfortunately , if you are eating 1000 and burning almost as much you have made your daily deficit far too large, you either need to eat a bit more, or exercise a bit less.

I know it seems counterproductive, but less isn't always better. you need fuel for those workouts

Don't increase your calories too much immediately, or you'll get the opposite of the water weight you lost in the first week, and I suspect that will devastate you, do it gently, even 50 extra daily calories per week will be an improvement. In a month you will have hit the 1200, then you can re-assess.

Good Luck.
  • lesita75
    You've lost 8lbs in 3 weeks. That's nothing to be gutted over. You're doing great. It's not going to be a 5lb loss every time you step on the scale. Have realistic goals and know that it's going to come off slowly, like it's supposed to. That way it stays off.

I haven't been taking measurments but maybe that would be a good way to see loss other than on the scales....where do you measure?

x

First I was only track neck, waist, and hips. Now I am also tracking calves, thighs and lower stomach (have a pouch that is hanging on for dear life, but it is shrinking!!). You can add me if you'd like.

(Forgot to quote when I replied the first time)
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Bump for later!
  • ramgi
    ramgi Posts: 196 Member
    You've lost eight pounds in three weeks. I think that should be celebrated. Wait before stepping on the scale again. I think you're doing really well.
  • leejayem
    leejayem Posts: 120 Member
    I'm not sure I agree with all the comments stating that you MUST eat at least 1200 calories a day or else you won't lose weight. My endocrinologist has me on 1200 MAX a day for weight loss & is not at all concerned if I go a bit under that - it certainly hasn't shut my metabolism down!! I have lost 6kg since I started on this forum about 3 weeks ago & I'm not eating back exercise calories - the only other time I have lost a significant amount of weight was by exercising like crazy 6 days a week but now that I have 4 kids I only manage a quick walk each day before my hubby goes to work!! Anyway, good on you for your weight loss - you're doing really well. It's never easy but all we can do is persist with what works for us & refuse to give up!!
  • amandarene98
    amandarene98 Posts: 1 Member
    Keep at it! Don't get discouraged. You can do it! :)
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Your undereating and of what you do eat it's mainly a load of processed fast carbs... white pitta, pizza, oreos, cookies, merangue nests en masse, instant mash etc etc.... Not sure I even saw a single vegetable.

Get cooking properly, lean protein not out of a packet, fresh vegetables. Give your body some nutrition and eat to your BMR.
  • Your undereating and of what you do eat it's mainly a load of processed fast carbs... white pitta, pizza, oreos, cookies, merangue nests en masse, instant mash etc etc.... Not sure I even saw a single vegetable.

Get cooking properly, lean protein not out of a packet, fresh vegetables. Give your body some nutrition and eat to your BMR.

I do eat a lot of fresh veg although not fruits but because a lot of the measurements on here are in cups and I'm from the uk where we don't use that measurment I was unsure how to count them.

Also yes a lot of my food is fast but thats because I'm a mum of 4 children aged 14 months to 8yrs and I don't get a lot of time to prepare meals especially lunches.

Believe it or not I am trying but I'm trying in a way that doesn't mean I'm utterly focused on MY food which would hinder my family life. My meals have to be quick and easy so I have time for my family and time to exercise.