How Many Decided To Lose More After Hitting Their Goal?

Options
teez52
teez52 Posts: 104 Member
So I'm working to get down to 200lbs from 236, and I'm halfway there (218 now) and I'm starting to think that my new goal might be somewhere around 190 or 180. I keep looking at myself and thinking there's more than 18lbs of fat sitting right there in my belly, not to mention the rest of my body.

So I'm curious, how many of you started out thinking that you wanted to hit one weight, but after you got there didn't quite achieve the results that you thought you would and kept pushing forward? What was your original goal and what was/is your new ending goal?

Replies

• iloso
    iloso Posts: 156
    Options
    I have changed my goal from reaching 175 to reaching 165...and then once I get to 165 I will be resetting my goal to 155 and then do nothing but strength training to tone up.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    I sure did. I wanted to be 9st something on my wedding day... I was 9st10, down from 11st12.
    Then I wanted to be 9st - that took forever it seemed!
    Then I wondered if I could ever be 8st anything.... and with increasing exercise I was down to 8st 7lbs. This weight would have suited me fine, but I have since lost more and am now around 7st 12 - which is too light really, so I am trying to get my head around gaining now. But my point is that step by step goals are more achievable and you are likely to get there. We all readjust our thinking, whether it be weight loss or anything.... seriously, in life, how often do we stick to the original plan?

Congratulations on your loss to date and best of luck for the rest :-)
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I went from an original goal of starting at 150 going down to 130. But I changed it to 125 after I reached 130, still wanted to lose a bit more. And my healthy BMI is like, 125- 132 for my height and weight I think? So this is where Ill stay without trying to lose more, just improve muscle tone and keep a daily cardio regimien to maintain.
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I've lowered my "goal" a couple of times because my ultimate NSV is a flat stomach. I'm not quite there yet, so I figure I have a few more pounds to go.
  • teez52
    teez52 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Hey, thanks everyone so far. I figured I couldn't be the only one. I've set "mini-goals" for myself to hit, but my original "overall goal" was 200. I'm a bit sad now thinking that I might need to lose more to get the look I want, but I guess after almost 40lbs, what's another 10-20 lbs?
  • placeboaddiction
    placeboaddiction Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I hit my goal 3 weeks ago and I hit that same goal today because...I failed on maintaining. So I've set smaller goals of weight loss just so i can keep the focus on eating better. The first time I hit my goal weight I partied and ate too much... then realized.. i think I may have to keep this lifestyle regardless of my weight. So now I just have small goals... like 5 lb goals. It is hard to maintain. Takes a lot of control.
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6 currently 160 pounds and my goal is 150 pounds. I think I may have to change it to 140-145 pounds but hard to say.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I originally set my goal to be 215. Got there, didn't look the way I hoped, so I lowered it to 190. As I close in on that goal, I have a feeling the same thing will happen so i'm setting my ultimate goal at 175-180. It's pretty frustating, but you just have to keep going until you're pleased with the outcome.
  • quona9
    quona9 Posts: 8
    Options
    When I was 175 pounds, my goal was 150. I hit 150, then decided that wasn't what I wanted.
    I went from 150 to 143 pretty slowly, and stalled for a long time.
    When I started MFP, I was 143.4 pounds, with a goal of 130 pounds. Right now I'm at 133, and I can tell that another 3 pounds of loss is not going to put me where I want to be. So the goal has been reset to 125.

I had never seen myself before at 120, 130, 140, 150 pounds or what have you, so I had no idea what would look right on my body. The last time I weighed 133 pounds was when I blew past it on the way to 175. I assumed that 125 would be WAY too small for me. Now, 125 or even 120 doesn't seem unreasonable.

I adjust my expectations accordingly when I hit goals. I'd say that's pretty normal, especially if you're like me and didn't really have a point of reference for "Well, this is my body at X weight." It's all a guessing game if that's the case.