Getting Rid of Clothes

Options
So I decided to clean out my closet last night and my pants drawer. Before when I've lost weight, I didn't worry about hanging on to larger sized clothing. I just let it sit in the drawers. Last night I made the big decision to give all of the stuff I'm too small for away. I feel like hanging on to it before gave me a dangerous safety net that allowed me to fall back into bad habits and not be too concerned when I went up a pants size. Basically, I made the conscious decision last night by getting rid of bigger clothes that I won't be going back there!

What about the rest of you? Do you get rid of the bigger sizes right away so you don't stumble back into them?

Replies

• BackwoodsMom
    BackwoodsMom Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I think I was in the same position - save them just in case. This time I did clean out what doesn't fit and am giving them all away. Safety nets are an easy way to fall back into old ways and I don't want to do that this time.
  • MzYvonne
    MzYvonne Posts: 7
    Options
    As soon as I get out of this size 16, I will get rid of them. This is the first time I have every been this size and when the 16 started to get tight, I decided to lose weight because I refuse to buy a size 18. But, as I lose, I plan to get rid of the larger sizes, espeically the pants.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    I gave all of mine away.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,977 Member
    Options
    I haven't yet, but I really need to. However, I'll have to go shopping or alter some of the clothes I can alter first because I have very few things that fit me correctly. I'm hesitant to do that since I still want to lose about 10 more pounds and think what I buy now will be too big then. I did buy one dress, but it was only $20. Can't afford to spend a lot now and then more in 2 or 3 months.

Good for you on making that decision. I did have my bigger clothes and my "skinny" clothes. It's probably not the best idea in the world to have that safety net!
  • Robin1109
    Robin1109 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    It's amazing how much space it freed up too!
  • BellaAbrianna
    Options
    Great question! Yes, when I lost my weight I immediately got rid of my clothes. Never going back so why do I need 'em? Also I needed the room in my closet for all new clothes. I went from a medium to an x-small and nothing fit after I lost. It was expensive but the best money I ever spent.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I kept clothes previously and when my clothes started getting tight again I pulled out the old clothes...and eventually they started getting tight too. This time around I've purged when ever necessary, and since I have gone over 2 years with this new lifestyle I'm hoping that it is a lot more permanent than before.
  • journalistjen
    journalistjen Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I'm getting rid of clothes slowly. I think I just need to have a massive clean out. It's hard, because I have strange attachment to clothes, but I'm going to get over it. Plus I'm cheap and don't want to replace everything at once.
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Good for you! The only "too big" stuff I keep is that I will keep jeans in the next size up, just a pair or two. Sometimes I get bloated and need bigger pants, so I'll keep them around, but if I have to wear them I'll pay really close attention to what I'm eating and make sure to stick to healthy foods that will help me un-bloat. Otherwise, if it's too big, I toss it.
  • juicyfruitkk
    juicyfruitkk Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I just got rid of (donated) 5 trash bags full.
    I held on to them for almost a year but decided it was time.

Feels good to let it go doesn't it? :drinker:
  • juicyfruitkk
    juicyfruitkk Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm getting rid of clothes slowly. I think I just need to have a massive clean out. It's hard, because I have strange attachment to clothes, but I'm going to get over it. Plus I'm cheap and don't want to replace everything at once.

This is what I struggled with!
  • 75Juniper
    75Juniper Posts: 376
    Options
    Once I truly graduated to the next size down (I'm frequently in between) they went bye-bye. I'm not going back to where I came from. Good for you for getting rid of them! :flowerforyou:
  • Newkell
    Newkell Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    This time around I have gotten rid of clothes as well. It is like you want to burn that bridge so you can't go back. Only moving forward from here.
  • gaiareeves
    gaiareeves Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I've got a few one-size-too-big jeans and t-shirts, but I've just kept them as comfy clothes to wear around the house when I'm being a slob. I use a lot of my old t-shirts to sleep in. The rest, I'm in the process of getting rid of.
  • MSimm62385
    MSimm62385 Posts: 227
    Options
    I sold off over half my clothes once they became too baggy on me. I vow I will never be that fat again!
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I think it's quite liberating and exciting! Just take a trip to the thrift store to pick up some "new" clothes. You can get a ton of things for a fraction of the price.
  • beebee0925
    beebee0925 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I used to do the same thing. I told myself when I lose weight I'm giving away all of my big clothes because I can't go back.
  • HelenDootson
    HelenDootson Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I am still too scared to do this - I am still wearing a lot of them, baggy or belted and I dont want to spend a load on new ones that I will shrink out of.
    But
    I am still to scared to do this :embarassed:
    I think I just have to learn to trust myself
    Maybe next month:ohwell:
  • babigurl86
    babigurl86 Posts: 138
    Options
    As soon as I get out of this size 16, I will get rid of them. This is the first time I have every been this size and when the 16 started to get tight, I decided to lose weight because I refuse to buy a size 18. But, as I lose, I plan to get rid of the larger sizes, espeically the pants.
    thats exactly why i started too,i refuse to buy a size 18 its also the 1st time ive been a 16 x
  • lauras777
    lauras777 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I've been giving them away as quickly as I can!! And then buying up new sizes right along with them...that's my reward for doing well, I like to clothes shop!!! So as soon as I can fit into the next lower size, I buy it!! :laugh: