Green Tea, does it really work??

Options
HI,
I weigh 241 Ibs.
I have heard that green tea helps you lose weight and burn body fat.
I was wondering if any real people on here could really back that up!

Add meee

Replies

• myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Green tea is a source of caffeine, which is a stimulant. It also contains other agents of less-studied value.

Stimulants boost the metabolism while acting as an appetite suppressant. So if you're struggling to meet your calorie goals for the day, you can burn a few more calories and avoid taking in a few calories with a stimulant.

You can do that with green tea, coffee, soda, or a number of other sources. One of the nicer things about green tea is that it tends to contain less of the "junk" that comes with stimulants found in food (like acids in the coffee, and sweeteners in the soda).

Personally, coffee is my caffeine delivery system of choice, but green tea would work just as well.

Most importantly, green tea is a cheap and low-impact self-experiment. Try it for a few weeks and see whether it works for you. I'd generally recommend drinking it plain because adding anything to it means more calories and/or more chemicals.

Understand that if you do not use a source of caffeine today, and you decide after a while that green tea is not for you, you'll have to put a little work into getting the caffeine monkey off your back. There is a mild addictive property to caffeine, and you'll have some headaches as you remove it from your system.
  • emilynyman00
    emilynyman00 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!!!
  • Gizziemoto
    Gizziemoto Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Other than used for caffeine, green tea is scientific research is showing that it is good for you too. Here is a link on one article. http://chinesefood.about.com/library/weekly/aa011400a.htm

I drink it because I like something different than just coffee and it is a nice change. I get mine from Teavana and it is Jasmine Green tea pearls. Requires infuser to drink and make. For more information look up Teavan.com. I love their teas but I still drink my coffee too.
  • popzork
    popzork Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    To add to that, I sometimes have a cup of green tea mid afternoon. There is something about a warm liquid mid afternoon that help suppress hunger for me. If the ritual of a cup of tea, between preparing it, and slowly sipping it as it cools helps reduce mid afternoon snacking, all the better!!
  • onikonor
    onikonor Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Adding a half a teaspoon of cinnamon to green tea is also great :D

http://www.cinnamonweightloss.net/
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Effect of green tea on weight loss - 0.0000864%*
    Effect of eating less calories and exercising more on weight loss - 99.99999%

Don't sweat the small stuff. If you like green tea, drink it. If you don't, don't.

(*Statistic totally pulled from my bottom in order to illustrate a point.)
  • TaintedVampyre
    TaintedVampyre Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I usually drink a bottle of water for every cup of tea I drink. Yes, bathroom breaks would be very likely in your future, but that helps clean your body of toxins. But it's an acquired taste, try a green tea that has an additional "fruit flavor". Enjoy & good luck!
  • julzees
    julzees Posts: 5
    Options
    I'm a BIG fan of green tea. I keep a case of it at all times. I like the Lipton Diet Green Tea, citrus flavored. They also have a watermelon flavor from the same brand. A subtle, delicious flavor with no calories.

I have tried to sway away from the caffeine in coffee, but when I need a little boost, the green tea does it for me. It has antioxidants too, which help fight off carcinogens.

Its supposed to up your metabolism too, but what I notice about the tea is how often I have to visit the little girls room when I drink it! :-P
  • stellaskies
    stellaskies Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I drink it because it tastes good, but I haven't had any weight loss because of it, sadly. I do add in a little raw agave or stevia from time to time.
  • baylor110311
    baylor110311 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Green tea is a source of caffeine, which is a stimulant. It also contains other agents of less-studied value.

Stimulants boost the metabolism while acting as an appetite suppressant. So if you're struggling to meet your calorie goals for the day, you can burn a few more calories and avoid taking in a few calories with a stimulant.

You can do that with green tea, coffee, soda, or a number of other sources. One of the nicer things about green tea is that it tends to contain less of the "junk" that comes with stimulants found in food (like acids in the coffee, and sweeteners in the soda).

Personally, coffee is my caffeine delivery system of choice, but green tea would work just as well.

Most importantly, green tea is a cheap and low-impact self-experiment. Try it for a few weeks and see whether it works for you. I'd generally recommend drinking it plain because adding anything to it means more calories and/or more chemicals.

Understand that if you do not use a source of caffeine today, and you decide after a while that green tea is not for you, you'll have to put a little work into getting the caffeine monkey off your back. There is a mild addictive property to caffeine, and you'll have some headaches as you remove it from your system.

Totally agree! I take the pill form because I don't like the tea form. It helps with energy and it's an antioxidant booster as well.
  • marcia724
    marcia724 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I agree with what everyone said...but you definitely should make sure you keep up with your regular water intake. caffeine doesn't count as water. my dr. told me for every cup of caffeine you drink, you need to drink back two cups of water. both are important!
  • prairiedawg2014
    Options
    i have been drinking 2-4 cups of green tea everyday throughout my diet.....i strongly believe that has played a part in my weightloss.
  • McLifterPants
    McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Effect of green tea on weight loss - 0.0000864%*
    Effect of eating less calories and exercising more on weight loss - 99.99999%

Don't sweat the small stuff. If you like green tea, drink it. If you don't, don't.

(*Statistic totally pulled from my bottom in order to illustrate a point.)

^^^This. You have to drink a TON of green tea (like, gallons) for it to have a noticeable effect on your weight loss. However, drinking enough water is key anyways, so if green tea is a way for you to get more fluids in easily and you like how it tastes, go for it. A word of caution; if it's sweetened (unless it's with artificial sweeteners) what you've added to it more than negates what it will help you burn. I did the math once, haha. Wasn't worth it for me!
  • Bridget1111
    Options
    Green tea works great to help with weight loss. That's why now you will see it in diet pills. It stimulates your metabolism, and helps reduce fat. Green tea increases metabolism, prevents fat cells from growing and reduces cholesterol and blood pressure. From the research I have done on this, drinking 1 or 2 cups is just not enough. Drinking 5 or more cups a day is where you will really get all the health benefits.
  • spotteddrafter
    spotteddrafter Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I take a green tea supplement with my vitamins in the morning. Mine is from the vitamins area, not the weight loss area of the store. I actually take it for all of the health benefits, not for weight loss. Plus, the pill version has very little caffeine.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I'm a BIG fan of green tea. I keep a case of it at all times. I like the Lipton Diet Green Tea, citrus flavored. They also have a watermelon flavor from the same brand. A subtle, delicious flavor with no calories.

I have tried to sway away from the caffeine in coffee, but when I need a little boost, the green tea does it for me. It has antioxidants too, which help fight off carcinogens.

Its supposed to up your metabolism too, but what I notice about the tea is how often I have to visit the little girls room when I drink it! :-P

I don't think that Lipton Diet Green Tea is any better for you than diet soda. It has the same "fake" sweetener. I typically brew my own green tea. Here's a summer recipe:

CITRUS GINGER GREEN TEA

1 1-inch piece of ginger peeled and sliced
    1 orange thinly sliced, leaving the peel on
    1 lemon thinly sliced, leaving the peel on
    2 family size green tea bags (or 8 single bags)
    1 tablespoon honey or to taste (optional)

Heat 1 qt of water with ginger slices to just boiling. Remove from heat and add tea bags, steep for 3-4 minutes. Add the fruit slices and steeped tea to a gallon pitcher. Let stand about 10-15 minutes, then add honey and stir. Add enough ice and cold water to fill the pitcher.

Taste will be stronger the second day. Rub fruit slices against the back of a slotted spoon to release some juices.