Hello from NJ.

Options
Several years ago I was told I needed to lose some weight by my doctor. Knowing that it would be a lifestyle change I recruited my wife and together we ate well, exercised, and lost the pounds. I was 215 pounds at the time and I went down to 180. 10 pounds more and I would have been my pre-military weight at the age of 19. But then I got injured. I herniated 8 discs in my neck and back. I got lazy and I gained it all back. An on the job injury set me back big time.

For me this was not good. I'm a professional firefighter and being overweight and injured was the last thing I wanted to be. I was determined to get myself back in shape not only for me but for the community I service and the crew I work with. A fat firefighter is a dead firefighter. That is pure truth whether it be on a fire scene or dying of a heart attack in the rack.

So I figured if I did it once I can and will most certainly do it again. But this time I plan on keeping it off and I'm not going to let the fear of injuring myself again stop me. 185 lbs is my goal. I started at 203. It may not be a lot to lose to some but for me it will help me in the long run on the job.

Gonna' get it done one pound at a time.

Replies

• miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I checked out your profile - you're a Flyers fan who lives in NJ? totally sending you a friend request.
  • kcollucci
    kcollucci Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been a Flyers fan loooong before the Devils came to NJ. I have family who live in South Jersey and Philly plus I was stationed at McGuire AFB. It was an easy fit to be a Flyers fan. :happy:
  • lbmore33
    lbmore33 Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    De. over here but I work in South Jersey
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    whoooooooop get it done!! ha you live where I was born booyah!

good luck on your journey -- friend if you want!
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    In many ways, your story sounds familiar. Reach out when and if you need to. I'm from NJ too.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Go Flyers!!!! and Phils are on a 3 game winning streak...PHinally!
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard and thank you for all that you do!
  • Caniac68
    Caniac68 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Best of luck in reaching your goals! But...I have to send a shout out for my Carolina Hurricanes! Although I do like Muller, I sure do miss Laviolette! You guys got a great coach in him!
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Grew up near New Brunswick, lived in Old Bridge, now in Phillipsburg, New Jersey-- welcome.

my kids hate the Flyers-- but, personally, I've always liked Philly-- so I won't discriminate. :wink:

Thank you for your service-- God bless you as you get (and stay) healthy.
  • hungergames324
    hungergames324 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    South Jersey here! Good luck!