calories burned while breast feeding ?

Options
Is there any option to include calories burned while breast feeding ?

I dont want to go quite low in calories to affect milk supply. My baby is 1 month old now.

Thanks
Gayatri

Replies

• mdplopez3
    mdplopez3 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I suggest that you take a look at www.kellymom.com they have LOTS of wonderful information when it comes to BFing! Congratulations on your new addition!
  • kittyhasclaws
    kittyhasclaws Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    If you go into your food diary and "add food" and type in "breast feeding", it'll actually give you a negative calorie count.

ETA: It doesn't do it in the exercise section, only in the food section.
  • tinyporcelain
    Options
    under food search "breastfeeding", the first option is -500 calories
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    DesireeLovesOrganic Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    If your baby is young (under 6 months) and you are exclusively bf'ing (no formula) about 500 cal...
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    If you go into your food diary and "add food" and type in "breast feeding", it'll actually give you a negative calorie count.

This is what I do.

My baby is 8 months old and I add 300 breastfeeding calories as a food and it deducts it.

I would advise not dropping too low. When I was eating 1200 calories, plus my exercise calories, plus 500 breatfeeding calories....it wasn't enough. My milk supply dropped right off (and I also wasn't losing).

So now I am eating 2100 plus 300 nursing calories.
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options

This.

Don't try to lose too much too quickly while breastfeeding. Your body will rob you of whatever it needs to give it to baby. Don't want to take too much from yourself. :)

Great calculator: http://www.freedieting.com/tools/breastfeeding_calorie_calculator.htm <<< If you set it at "little to no exercise" reduce by 10 or 15%, and then program that as your goal and eat exercise calories, you should lose at a fair rate. Make your calories count! Good protein, veggies, fruits, and whole grains. :)
  • mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Options
    i added mine in the food section. you can pick exclusive or part time breast feeding.
  • ckane22312
    ckane22312 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have been on 1200 calories. Plus 400 breastfeeding credit and exercising credits. My milk supply has suffered. I not loosing, I even gained back two lbs! Looks like you were in the same boat. Are you loosing weight since you increased your calorie intake? Thanks.