Fruits & Sugars

Options
Hi-

So I'm trying to limit my daily sugar intake to 24g. The problem I'm running into is that the fruits I'm eating have A LOT of sugar in them. The benefit is that they are no/low-fat, high fiber and under 100 calories. But with 1 apple having 17g of sugar, that's almost my whole day. Can anyone shed some light or share their approach to "good" sugars vs "bad" sugars? Thanks!!

Replies

• kmb7923
    kmb7923 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I don't have an answer, but have the exact same problem. My recommended allowance is 24 sugars and I have gone over it with just an apple and cherries
  • JudyL5305
    JudyL5305 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I don't look at fruit as bad sugars. Now that being said my entire diet is made up of very minimal processed foods. If I were counting calories and sugars I would separate out the bad from good sugars. But if you need to watch your sugar intake definitely try to cut down on the sugar. An apple for example while high in sugar, it is natural sugar that will break down in the body properly and is rich in fiber which is good for your body and will keep you feeling fuller longer.
  • jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I dont believe there is a difference. Sugar is sugar. Fructose is the sugar in fruit. Table sugar "sucrose" also comes from plants. Your body treats them the same. A lot of people will say they don't count "natural" fructose towards their sugar goals. Only the "unnatural" added sugar is what they count. To each their own i guess.

Its really up to you either count your sugars, or don't. Or arbitrarily count some and not others. Or you could give your self a goal range for it, and try not to eat to much sugar packed foods that provide little other nutrients

If you have a medical condition that requires you to monitor your sugar then ask your doctor's opinion
  • jonnyrosko
    jonnyrosko Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Combine your sugar and carb intake. Avoid processed sugars.