Scales that measure body fat?

Options
Any recommendations?

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Yeah, save your money and just get a regular scale as BIA isn't very accurate
  • lick_broccoli
    Options

How do you accurately measure body fat?
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options

You could buy a caliper.
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options

agree with this. I have a floor digital scale (nice one) and a handheld monitor to measure body fat.

Even following directions correctly, and measuring the same time of day etc. Neither really gives me accurate body fat readings.

In my case, I do not have anywhere locally to get a Bodypod or other "more accurate" measurement, and am not a member of a gym. Tried calipers, and not great at getting a consistent/accurate measurement on myself.

So I just use inch measurement changes (many body areas), and Mirror, appearance to give a rough idea of body composition changes. No perfect but works,
  • McLifterPants
    McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I have an Escali Body Composition scale that I really like that gives me readings about on par with other methods I've tried.
  • Andwynn
    Andwynn Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    My mum just bought me a handheld (Lloyds Pharmacy) measurer - apparently I'm 30.2% fat, which is high but within the healthy range. Seems relatively accurate, and at least it should be good for doing a comparative.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I have an Omron HBF-500. It may not be 100% accurate, but I have read reviews that claim it's accuracy is within 2%. That is more than accurate enough for me.

It cost me $60 CAD.
  • zonah
    zonah Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I have an Escali Body Composition scale that I really like that gives me readings about on par with other methods I've tried.

Do you use one of these? Which one? http://www.escali.com/body-composition-monitors/
  • mommyhof3
    mommyhof3 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I ordered a Omron body fat analyzer from ebay. I think you can get them other places too but at the time I lived in a small town with not too many shops.

This is the one that I have: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/OMRON-HBF-306C-Body-Fat-Loss-BMI-Analyzer-Monitor-/190703080589?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c66ca148d.

I researched it online and found good reviews for it. I like it
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I used a Taylor, and it's weight and b fat measurements are fairly consistent.
    Body fat is always within 2 % points.
    I also take body measurements and use another b fat analysis - here for free:
    http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/diet.html

These tools just help track progress - nothing more.
    Good Luck!
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options

You could buy a caliper.

Any recommendations as to where to get a caliper? I'm curious. :)
  • Arleigh7
    Arleigh7 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I did a post yestreday becuase I did a DXA Scan. It's a low level Xray scan of the entire body and it cost $85. It produces a 4 page report that also tells you how your bone density is doing. It even goes so far as to tell you your % fat in your arms, legs, trunk and hips and butt and besides the whole body #'s. All in all it was pretty cool..very simple and I was in and out in less then 30 minutes. But of course not something I'm going to do very often for $85. Do a google search for DXA Body composition and hopefully you'll find something close by. I do allot of heavy weight lifting so I was trying to determine what my goal weight should be as BMI won't work for me.

I fully agree the scales are worthless. I have one that does body fat and it was 30% off (way to high) vs the DXA and it jumps around constantly probably due to how much water I happen to be retaining at any given point.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    u can get a caliper on amazon for less than $10.
    I use both a tanita scale and calipers. The scale is fairly accurate..it will give you a general idea of where you are.
  • lick_broccoli
    Options
    I did a post yestreday becuase I did a DXA Scan. It's a low level Xray scan of the entire body and it cost $85. It produces a 4 page report that also tells you how your bone density is doing. It even goes so far as to tell you your % fat in your arms, legs, trunk and hips and butt and besides the whole body #'s. All in all it was pretty cool..very simple and I was in and out in less then 30 minutes. But of course not something I'm going to do very often for $85. Do a google search for DXA Body composition and hopefully you'll find something close by. I do allot of heavy weight lifting so I was trying to determine what my goal weight should be as BMI won't work for me.

I fully agree the scales are worthless. I have one that does body fat and it was 30% off (way to high) vs the DXA and it jumps around constantly probably due to how much water I happen to be retaining at any given point.

Interesting. Where did you get that done?
  • lick_broccoli
    Options
    Thanks for the recommendations, everyone! :smile:
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    u can get a caliper on amazon for less than $10.
    I use both a tanita scale and calipers. The scale is fairly accurate..it will give you a general idea of where you are.

Ooo, I may get that scale when I need to replace my old one or if I go to move. :)
  • alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I ordered a Omron body fat analyzer from ebay. I think you can get them other places too but at the time I lived in a small town with not too many shops.

This is the one that I have: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/OMRON-HBF-306C-Body-Fat-Loss-BMI-Analyzer-Monitor-/190703080589?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c66ca148d.

I researched it online and found good reviews for it. I like it

I have the same one however its the older version. Very actuate from what I can tell just make sure you drink alot of liquids and don't workout right before. Dehydration can make your numbers skew. I am usually from 17.7-18.1 the last 3 or so weeks. I measure every couple of days for kicks.
  • GrammaBonnie
    GrammaBonnie Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I had calipers a few years ago. I threw them out. They were VERY inconsistent. I think they are a waste of money.

My coach uses the Omron HBF-306C Fat Loss Monitor, Black (or, something that looks just like it, by that company!) Amazon is cheaper than the ebay price previously mentioned.

I considered purchasing one, since I'm done with the program where we were measured.

However, it "measures your body fat with a gentle, micro electrical current." (You can't feel it.) My scale does the same thing!

Look at something like Omron HBF-514C Full Body Composition Sensing Monitor and Scale. (Amazon $69.) If mine died, at quick glance, that's the one I'd get! It gives more info than my model which is over 7 years old.

Note that persons with a medical implant, such as a pacemaker, shoud NOT use any of these, because the electrical impulse could upset a pacemaker. Bionics, with artificial knees, hips, etc. may get a skewed result, but the number should be consistent, and would show progress.
  • McLifterPants
    McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
    Options

Do you use one of these? Which one? http://www.escali.com/body-composition-monitors/

http://www.escali.com/bfbw200-body-fat-percentage-bathroom-scale

This is the one I have. The only thing is that it's very delicate; I tripped over mine and it stopped working! Luckily, it was still under warranty and they replaced it; now I keep it out of the way of my clumsy stumbling, haha
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options

agree with this. I have a floor digital scale (nice one) and a handheld monitor to measure body fat.

Even following directions correctly, and measuring the same time of day etc. Neither really gives me accurate body fat readings.

In my case, I do not have anywhere locally to get a Bodypod or other "more accurate" measurement, and am not a member of a gym. Tried calipers, and not great at getting a consistent/accurate measurement on myself.

So I just use inch measurement changes (many body areas), and Mirror, appearance to give a rough idea of body composition changes. No perfect but works,

I agree with this. The reason why I do not care for the bf calculators is I feel they are inaccurate. First off, if you are over 40, you need to realize it will ad percentages just for age a lone. I will put everything into the Omron and only change my age from 22 to 42 (I am 42) and it will add 4 points...so I am guessing that by the time I am 52, even with the same body, I will increase another 2 points!

I use a tape measure and mirror. Honestly, I can tell just from looking at that. There are times that the scale will be up, but my measurements are the same. I used to get wrapped up in the scale and bf monitors, now I just worry about scales and bf monitors.