Giving blood

Options
Hey all! I'm planning on giving blood this Thusday for the Red Cross and when I gave last time in my early days with MFP I freaked a little about the extra calories I had to eat and drink after. I'm pretty careful with what I eat and I just was wondering what you all thought I should allow for a normal giving blood situation. I do allow myself treats and such but I try to make sure I excerise or go for a walk to make up for it and they advise against exercise for 24 hours after you donate. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    The whole point of giving blood is to help someone else who may need it.

So, I think that's a pretty good reason to put aside your diet/exercise for one day.

Eat the extra calories. They won't cause you to gain back whatever you've lost. It's just one day. You'll be fine.

And take a rest day. That also won't derail you.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    The extra calories will be used to replace the blood you lost.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I've read many things on blood donation in terms of the calories you use to replenish the blood. The majority of sites seem to agree that blood donation will cost your body between 400 and 600 calories.

Given that a 500 calories is my daily deficit, I just split the difference and add 500 calories to my daily intake on the day I give blood, and try to eat something iron- and protein-dense with those calories. Best case, I'm re-feeding my body and allowing it to recover from the blood loss quickly. Worst case, assuming blood donation takes zero calories (which is obviously not the case), I'm setting myself back by exactly one day in my weight loss journey.

So, if you want to try what I do, add 500 calories of "exercise" to the day you give, and use that for your "treats". Spinach (high in iron) makes a great "treat", by the way. :wink:
  • jillleanne
    jillleanne Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Those extra calories are needed. And the nutrients in the food is important to keep your blood sugar and other things up at normal levels. I'm not sure about the red cross, but in Canada (Canadian Blood Services) they offer soup and crackers as well as the cookies and other treats. If your not worried about sodium this could be a better option.

But hey, I'm with everyone else when they say to just eat the treats. Haha. Thanks for being a donor!!
  • darcygooding
    Options
    I've read many things on blood donation in terms of the calories you use to replenish the blood. The majority of sites seem to agree that blood donation will cost your body between 400 and 600 calories.

Given that a 500 calories is my daily deficit, I just split the difference and add 500 calories to my daily intake on the day I give blood, and try to eat something iron- and protein-dense with those calories. Best case, I'm re-feeding my body and allowing it to recover from the blood loss quickly. Worst case, assuming blood donation takes zero calories (which is obviously not the case), I'm setting myself back by exactly one day in my weight loss journey.

So, if you want to try what I do, add 500 calories of "exercise" to the day you give, and use that for your "treats". Spinach (high in iron) makes a great "treat", by the way. :wink:

Thats good to know. I was getting ready to give blood next week.
  • rf1170
    rf1170 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I give blood every two or three months, and I find that if I plan ahead, it's just fine. Like you mentioned, I try to exercise before I go so that I can rest afterward, and I bring my own snack (usually fresh fruit, or maybe a smoothie) so I don't feel like I need to take any cookies. I don't know if you like liver, but I try to eat some around the time I give as well - when I get home, I take a nap and then fry up some liver and onions, make some gravy, have some veggies, and dig in! The iron is good for helping to replace lost red blood cells, and the meal is pretty heavy and filling when you're running down a pint. If you're not crazy about liver, try some beef. Good luck, and thanks for giving!
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    This is but to you and these things affect people differently but I don't do any the snacks after. I'm not interesting in eating that stuff and find I don't really need it. I do take things easy and don't exercise that evening but have exercised before giving blood and been fine. If you think you should have calories maybe bring something healthy and snack on that.
  • jennadelane
    jennadelane Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I actually gave blood this morning and brought a snack with me. Its a snack I would have had if I weren't giving blood, so no extra calories for me today! They will be fine with you eating something you brought as long as you ARE eating. As for exercise, they advise against a strenuous routine. A walk should be fine, depending on how you feel (but I would wait a few hours).
  • vtpixie
    vtpixie Posts: 39
    Options
    Just remember to up your protein intake for that day. The miniumum weight for donating is 110lb, and they will take your iron count...if that's too low then you won't be able to donate.
  • aften_g
    aften_g Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for your replies!!!
  • k9inular
    k9inular Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This is exactly what I wanted to ask. Glad I found it in a 'search'. I've been giving blood for about 20+years. Since trying to loose weight, I've been more concerned about the calorie intake on a blood day. This post and replies have helped. I'm off to give blood after breakfast. :wink:
  • AEFidgets
    AEFidgets Posts: 243
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, got to love the search feature. Giving blood for the first time in years tomorrow.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Yay for donating blood!

On the day I donate, I add 500 calories of "exercise" to replace the blood I lost, and I don't sweat it if my net calories reach TDEE. I need those calories, darn it! I even drink the disgusting, grape-flavored fruit drink instead of bringing real juice. :) Of course, I drink water like crazy and take a good nap afterwards.