Polar FT4 Question

Options
KBrenOH
KBrenOH Posts: 704 Member
I've had my HRM FT4 now for almost a year but recently (within the last month) I'm noticing that it's losing my HR a lot more than it used to. Is this a sign that the battery may be starting to die or is it just that I'm sweating so much that it can't get a good constant reading (both my watch and my chest strap were soaked by the end of today's workout).

Thanks in advance!! :drinker:

Replies

• ScarlettVamp
    ScarlettVamp Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    Mine was doing that too (losing my heart rate during exercise) and now the battery is apparently dead because it won't do anything. My 5 yr old played with it the other day and I didn't realize it....she turned it on and it was on for 24 hours. I've only had mine for about 6 months, but that's the 2nd time my little one has managed to turn it on and leave it on for a long period of time, so I'm sure that contributed greatly to the decline of my battery.
  • KBrenOH
    Options
    Mine stays on constantly (at least the watch portion does).
  • KBrenOH
    Options
    bump - hoping to get some answers =)
  • KBrenOH
    Options
    bump
  • mhenkel0506
    Options
    My FT7 was recently doing the same thing, I put new batteries in both the watch and the band and it's gotten significantly better. Cost me less than $10 to replace the batteries. I've also heard you need to wash the band regularly, not sure what the best method is for doing that though. I just rinse mine, idk. Good luck!
  • KBrenOH
    Options
    I've never washed the band in the year I've had it, I wonder if I should do that.

Hoping it's as simple (and cheap) to replace the batteries for the FT4 as well. I've heard with some of those watches/HRM's you have to send them back to the manufacturer.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I can't guarantee it'll make a difference but I can tell you when mine started acting up recently, washing it did the trick. Just throw it in the lingerie bag with your unmentionables but DO NOT put it in the dryer.

You should also be wetting the strap before every use and rinsing it off after every use. If you no longer have your user's guide, you can find one available for download at the Polar website.

Just replaced the watch battery myself recently and that's was super easy. The transmitter one is a bit more tricky from what I can tell - they don't even give you directions in the user's guide but have you go to the website for instructions.
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I wash the band probably every other week, haven't had too many issues in the last year or so. I just use some dawn dish soap and wash it manually, towel it off a little bit and let it air dry.
  • mpyle1114
    mpyle1114 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    i've had the FT4 for about a month now and only had washed the band once... today when i put it on, it smelled like that horrible old sweat smell... you know the one that you smell at the gym when people use the same shirt too much. as for the losing the heart rate, change the battery.
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    You are suppose to rinse the band after each use, and wash it every 5 uses.
  • KBrenOH
    Options
    Ok Thanks guys :) I'll give it a washing AND replace the batteries. Hopefully that'll make a difference.
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I've had my FT4 almost seven months, use it 99.9% of the time at least once a day. I rinse it and hang dry every time I use it . I wash it in a lingerie bag in the washing machine once or twice a week. Last week it started losing my heart rate or not getting my heart rate - and it happened three times. I went online and found that replacing the strap can help - mine doesn't seem to stay tight enough. Just ordered it on Amazon earlier today so I'm hoping that makes it all better again. Folks actually say try this first before replacing the battery, but I would think after a year maybe the battery does need replacing ;)
  • KBrenOH
    Options
    I've had my FT4 almost seven months, use it 99.9% of the time at least once a day. I rinse it and hang dry every time I use it . I wash it in a lingerie bag in the washing machine once or twice a week. Last week it started losing my heart rate or not getting my heart rate - and it happened three times. I went online and found that replacing the strap can help - mine doesn't seem to stay tight enough. Just ordered it on Amazon earlier today so I'm hoping that makes it all better again. Folks actually say try this first before replacing the battery, but I would think after a year maybe the battery does need replacing ;)

Chelle - how much did it cost to replace the strap? I am noticing that even though I have the strap as tight as I can get it, it does slip a bit. I attributed this to the fact though that I was going on 80 minutes of being physically active and I was literally soaked in sweat.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I was having that issue with mine. It resolved after I replaced the batteries in with watch and transmitter.

Definitely make sure you are washing your strap too. It needs to be rinsed after every use and tossed in the washing machine from time to time. I wash mine in a lingerie bag every time I do laundry and hang it to dry.