sugar intake question

Options
Ok I'm having issues staying in my sugar intake goal but I'm not goingnovee by eating sweets and granular sugar its sugars from raw fruits. Should I be concerned because its sugar or not get too bent oout of shape cause its natural sugar. I'm diabetic but my blood sugars are staying in range......

Replies

• laulyn
    laulyn Posts: 70
    Options
    I was wondering about this too. I am interested to hear what others have to say.
  • chloenmiller
    chloenmiller Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering about this for months.. It seems like if I have one whole fruit, I seem to go over.
  • Aneallen2009
    Options
    I've had a mango and apple today and I'm over already!
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Sugar from fruits is FINE.
  • gomidas2007
    gomidas2007 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Refined carbohydrates like cookies, donuts, and even white bread contain added sugars and fats that will stifle your goal to eat healthy food and lose weight. Unlike complex carbohydrates which also contain the vitamins and minerals necessary to efficiently convert into slow-releasing energy, refined carbohydrates are broken down into the bloodstream quickly. This leads to glucose hitting the bloodstream all at once and too fast, which leads to that familiar 'sugar high' followed by a crash that we are all familiar with.

For those times you do need a sweet hit, natural, simple carbohydrates such as fruit are your best bet. Fruit contains fiber which balances out its sugar content so makes that energy hit a little more slow-releasing and sustainable than a refined carb such as a cookie or chocolate bar.

Fruits are also a great source of vitamins that protect your body against disease, so when you satisfy that sweet craving by reaching for a banana or handful of berries, you are also doing yourself some good.

However, the only healthy way to deal with refined simple carbohydrates are to keep them as an occasional treat. Anything with added sugar, or made from refined (white) flour is likely to lack the fiber to balance out the sugar, and has little nutritional value to make it worthwhile.

Hope that helps!
  • Aneallen2009
    Options
    Thanks so much! It does help.
  • acawle00
    acawle00 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    So happy to see this. I was just wondering the same thing! Perhaps MFP should update their app to reflect the difference between 'good' sugars from fruit and 'bad' sugars from candy, etc. Assuming this is possible!