Protein Snack/sides Brainstorm?

Options
I would like ideas to increase my protien. Mostly I need snacks and sides. I would also like these to be budget friendly and something that is easy to eat. Weekdays I eat most of my calories at work out of my lunch box that sits under my desk. I also tend to eat out more than most also due to work and sometimes due to making friends. :-)

Replies

• rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Turkey pepperoni, a laughing cow cheese wedge, and some whole grain crackers. Its like mini pizzas.
  • KraseyBeauty
    Options
    Low fat cheese, protein shakes, those salad chicken strips, plain greek yogurt, eggs. :)
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Snacks: I like Luna Protein bars. I've also started keeping a pack of beef jerky in my desk drawer. Nuts are great too.

Sides: Quinoa is naturally high in protein (flavor however you like), or you could add sliced almonds to green beans, or add cheese to a salad (my fav. is caprese - mozzarella & tomatoes). I like to "roast" raw cashews in a little olive oil & add them to flavored rice too. Throw in chicken and you can make it a whole meal.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I eat plain greek yogurt (100 cal, 18g protein) with 1 tablespoon of natural PB (95 cals, 5g protein). So good and filling!
  • cdprouty
    cdprouty Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Saute some fresh spinach in a bit of evoo, toss in bacon bits during the last minute of the saute...yummy side dish and many restaurants will make this for you even if not on the menu.
  • DesignGrrl
    DesignGrrl Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I snack on chicken salad made with plain greek yogurt instead of mayo, seasoned with curry, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and a pinch of cayenne. Throw in some celery or onion for extra crunch. Great on a piece of 40-calorie wheat toast!
  • Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Turkey pepperoni, a laughing cow cheese wedge, and some whole grain crackers. Its like mini pizzas.

Mmm sounds yummy. Bumping for sure
  • jesss5885
    jesss5885 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cestlafete
    cestlafete Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    My fav is some salmon, smoked or grilled, with avocado on whole wheat crackers. If you like it super-creamy, you can mash the avocado with some fat free cream cheese for more of a spread than a slice. This is my go-to after running. It tastes 'fresh' and gives me protein and nutrients I need without being heavy or greasy or... well, a protein bar! It also makes a decent lunch in higher quantities.
  • jennt_22
    jennt_22 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    bump! i need more protein idea's too! so sick of just drinking shakes!
  • nightsrainfall
    nightsrainfall Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Beef jerky is expensive - anyone know how to make their own?

Like the quinota idea - will have to learn to cook it! :-)

(Bump)
  • Shelle68
    Shelle68 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    bumping it too!
  • ktwest2107
    ktwest2107 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Beef jerky is expensive - anyone know how to make their own?

Like the quinota idea - will have to learn to cook it! :-)

(Bump)

Look on the Clean Eating site. I know they ran a recipe for making your own in the oven, so I'm sure it's there too :)