Need Help - Can't use Whey protein

Options
gspea
gspea Posts: 412 Member
I evidently have a negative reaction to Whey protein - bloating - and with my LapBand cannot use Whey as a protein source for now. Other than a soy protein I am using from SlimGenics (there isn't enough of a selection) I don't have a clue what is a good soy product. Any suggestions on a good tasting brand?

Thanks alot!!

Geri

Replies

• fhsjewfro
    fhsjewfro Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    i know a lot of vegetarians that take pea protein shakes, maybe worth looking into??

also whey is not needed in your diet, it helps meet your protein goal, true, but eating whole foods rich with protein is more filling and also has a better amino acid profile than whey depending on the whole food

good luck!!
  • Kimminer77
    Kimminer77 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I use Vegan Chocolate shakeology. Just started 2 weeks ago. It uses pea, brown rice, chai, amaranth, and quinoa proteins. I too am whey sensitive. I would not recommened soy. It acts like estrogen in your body and screws with your hormones. Plus it is one of the most genetically modified foods out there...BAD!
  • Altruista75
    Altruista75 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Have you tried hemp protein? It's a non-dairy protein that may work for you.
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it yet but you could look into Garden of Life Raw Protein. Its made up of varies raw grains not whey, pea or soy. I like plain no sweetener of any kind added in powder. The protein will be less, 17g but still better than nothing!
  • GoodMorningGirl
    GoodMorningGirl Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I bought a blend of 70% pea proten/30% brown rice protein powder in a banana cream flavor from truenutrition.com. I love it and make a smoothie with a scoop of that, half a frozen banana, 1/4 cup frozen blueberries, and 1 cup unsweetened almond milk.

That site has many different types of protein and tons of flavors.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure where you live but where I am there are tons of alternatives!

Any health food store or a store like GNC and the like have lines of different protein powders. There are vegan ones (no whey), soy ones, pea proteins, egg proteins etc. TONS of them out there.

Where I am (Ontario) the Loblaws stores carry a ton of different protein powders in their health food/ organic section. Some are more expensive though but it works if you have a sensitivity to other versions.
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    There are a few alternatives out there:

Pea Protein
    Soy Protein
    Hemp Protein
    Brown Rice Protein

Not to mention the other option suggested of eating real food!
    Not saying you in this case, but I think sometimes people forget supplements are just there to help meet your nutrient goals, not to replace eating real food.
  • gspea
    gspea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Right now I am using the protein drinks as a supplement as I am still on a restricted food intake as I am only 3 weeks out from LapBand Surgery. I cannot make my protein intake goal without a drink. I also like to use these as an addtion to my diet when I am on the run and can't get the proper nutritional foods on the run.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    You do not have to avoid Whey after Lap Band surgery, just avoid Whey Protein Concentrate. If you get 100% Hydrolized Whey Protein Isolate, you'll be fine as its virtually lactose free and is one of the most easily digested proteins.

If you do wish to bypass Whey entirely, visit TrueNutrition.com and custom blend your own protein powder: for example brown rice/pea/hemp.