What can I do with Kale?

Options
apedeb09
apedeb09 Posts: 805 Member
So I was at the store the other night and I saw a big bag of Kale... for the heck of it, I decided to buy it, even though I've never had it and have no idea how to prepare it... lol. I just know it's healthy. Any suggestions on how I can cook it or what to eat it with?

Thanks!

Replies

• daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Savory: Sautee in oil or no-calorie spray with lots of garlic, chili powder, and the littlest sprinkling of nutmeg (it brings out the flavor of dark greens!)

Sweet: Whizz it up in a smoothie with non-dairy milk, frozen banana, berries and peanut butter!
  • buffalogal1979
    buffalogal1979 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    kale chips! a little olive oil and salt - bake in the oven at low temp until they are crunchy SO good!

I like the smoothie idea too - thanks!
  • SweetMegz04
    SweetMegz04 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Kale Chips!!!!!!!!

Even my younger Sister who hates all things Healthy is obsessed with Kale Chips..
    a Whole Bunch of Kale (comes chopped in a big bag by the salad section sometimes)
    1tbls Olive Oil
    Sea Salt..

Cook at 400 Degrees for 20 minutes.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Make pesto.
    Remove the stems and put the washed raw leaves to a food processor. Add a small amount of Parmesan cheese, olive oil and a handful of nuts (any type will do, but I prefer walnuts with kale). Blend away until desired consistency is reached. Add to pasta, chicken or use as a spread on sandwiches. So yummy!
  • Lavern77
    Lavern77 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I boil it in chicken broth with lots of garlic and a can of chickpeas, yum
  • specialemy
    specialemy Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Most definitely Kale Chips! And my little one likes making them with me and eating up almost a whole sheet pan of them. You can also get baby kale, and can cook it the same way you would do baby spinach, or eat as a salad.
  • apedeb09
    Options
    Ohh all these ideas sound so good!! Thanks so much, I'm definitely gonna use them up today once I figure out what to make. :)
  • nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I put it in my quinoa....For 1 serving: saute some finely chopped onion or shallots and garlic in a little olive oil, after a couple of minutes add 1/4 cup quinoa to toast for a few minutes. Splash in some white wine, sprinkle in a few red pepper flakes, and then add 1/2 cup of low-sodium chicken broth. Cover and cook over a low-med heat until all the liquid is absorbed. Stir in some sun dried tomatoes (not the oil-packed kind). Take off of heat, and stir in a cup of kale. Serve and enjoy!
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Massaged kale salad with tahini dressing is an AMAZING summertime meal!
  • julepgirl
    julepgirl Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    If you can handle a little bacon, this is good - Kale with roasted beets and bacon. My husband made it when we got kale and beets from the CSA on the same day and I was looking at them like... what do we do with this crap? LOL! Best advice is to roast the beets the night before - easy and that way it's not an overwhelming amount of work to do before you can eat dinner.
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/guy-fieri/kale-with-roasted-beets-and-bacon-recipe/index.html
  • PixelFit
    PixelFit Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite soups ever...Toscana Soup. Here's a link: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/toscana-soup/

I do some substitutions for the higher fat ingredients. For example, I substitute Jimmy Dean Lean Turkey Sausage Crumbles for the spicy pork sausage; I also use either Fat Free Half & Half or Evaporated Milk for the heavy cream; and for bacon, I use a package of Oscar Meyer Real Bacon Pieces.

I also put the whole bunch of kale instead of just two cups. It's really one of the best parts of this soup. The soup itself takes under an hour to make, and it makes a great convenient lunch!
  • jenbunny18
    Options
    this is the best thing ever, I learned it from weight watchers.

spread out the kale on a baking sheet. drizzle a little bit of olive oil, and a touch of salt over the kale.
    put it in the oven for about 3 to 5 minutes on 300 degrees.

Baked kale tastes like potato chips! you should really try it, because its fast, simple, and very low calorie.
    I recommend you try it to see that it actually does in fact taste like potato chips :p
  • thinnnnnnner
    Options
    I agree with what others have already said. Kale chips are pretty much the best thing to ever happen to my diet and you can make them with so many different flavours! I love curry on mine.
  • 916lude
    916lude Posts: 305
    Options
    I usually have Kale raw. With mangoes/berries and water in a blender. Purple kale is soooo good. You may have to season it well with a saute.
  • apedeb09
    Options
    OMG! I just made some Kale chips, not thinking I'd even like it... and wow! these things are delicious! screw regular potato chips.. this is where it's at. lol. I drizzled olive oil on it and garlic salt. yum!
  • SweetMegz04
    SweetMegz04 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    OMG! I just made some Kale chips, not thinking I'd even like it... and wow! these things are delicious! screw regular potato chips.. this is where it's at. lol. I drizzled olive oil on it and garlic salt. yum!

SOOOOO GOOD!!!