is this good,bad, or normal?

Options
I have lost 2 pounds in 5 days. Is this good? Too much too fast, or about where I should be?

Replies

• Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    Awesome!
    I go by the slower you take it off the slower it is to put back on.
    For example some people who starve and lose weight really fast.... usually can gain it back just as fast.
    Hope that made sense.
    I aim to lose .5- 1pound a week.
  • anels449
    anels449 Posts: 3,187 Member
    Options
    I was always told by my health professor that losing anything from 2 pounds and under is good, anything over and you're losing more than just fat. So if you've been eating healthy and working hard, I'd say it's perfectly fine and not to be worried at all! And awesome photo of you and your pooch!
  • MrsT0fu
    MrsT0fu Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have lost 2 pounds in 5 days. Is this good? Too much too fast, or about where I should be?

I think it might be too early to tell. There are a lot of factors at play. If you have more to lose then you may have higher initial losses which may level out over time. It could be influenced by daily weight fluctuations. I don't mean to downplay your loss, progress is progress. However, I think what the others were referring to is a more healthful overall average weekly loss. Maybe see how your weight changes over the next few weeks to see if that rate stays the same. Does what I've said make sense?
  • AdrienneinTO
    AdrienneinTO Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    It's OK. When people first start an exercise/healthy eating regime, the often lose a few lbs right away. A lot of it is water, though (retention was from high sodium, that sort of thing). It's unlikely that you will continue to drop weight at the same pace. But I'm sure that you can steadily lose weight if you stick to your new healthy lifestyle! For the amount of weight that you say you want to lose, you might be able to lose 1.5 to 2 lb per week. Once you have approx. 30 lb or less to lose, you'll probably find it hard to lose more than 1 lb a week.

Also, be aware that your weight will fluctuate by a few lb each day. There are so many factors involved: time of day that you weigh, water retention (due to having a high sodium meal or time of month), recently eating a big meal, dehydration because of a hot day, water retention by muscles when first starting strength training, etc, etc. So please don't be discouraged if your weight jumps around a bit.

My weight goes up and down by about 1.5 lb. I weigh myself almost every day. Doing that has allowed me to learn what the patterns are, and to not freak out by small changes. I like to record my weight this way: If I see a "new low" on the scale, I wait to see if it is consistent for each of the next 2 days. If so, I record it. It's kind of like reaching a milestone. Also, I only bother with 1 lb increments.
  • confusedtracey
    confusedtracey Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    i
    I'm glad you said that cos i have gained this week, not sure how only that i have had more coffee, i have also uped my swimming by an extra season, so i thought it would be a good week !! coffee is a dehydtant isn't it?
  • Beleg
    Beleg Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    2lbs is a good weight per week to lose. But keep in mind that bigger people will have a tendency to lose much more than that regardless of what they do if they total change their life style. So as long as you are exercising and eating right you are good.