At What Body Fat % Should I Start Toning?

Options
JS268
JS268 Posts: 83 Member
Hi there! I have lost 15 lbs but am finding it extremely challenging to lose the last 10(I have to restrict myself to less than 800 cals in order to see any loss. Yikes!). I am thinking of starting strength and not worrying so much about the scale. SO I was wondering at what body fat percentage is ideal to start toning (do I need to lose more weight to be able to see muscle gaining/ strengthening?).

About Me:
Female
Height: 5'7.5"
Weight: ~120 lbs
Original Goal Weight: 110 lbs
Frame Size: Small
Body Fat %: Haven't been able to be properly measured but the online calculators say b/w 18%-20%
Usually Eat 1000-1200 calories but have been eating more this last week trying to break a 6 week platue.

Any Advice is greatly appreciated :happy:

Replies

• rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Start toning now, you don't need to lose any more fat or you will be underweight, stick to toning only.
  • Alexstrasza
    Alexstrasza Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    You're probably not seeing any loss because 800 calories is too low. You should never eat below 1200.
  • JS268
    JS268 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses! And I'm not eating 800 calories, I was eating 1200 and then had to keep reducing it to lose weight which I realized would be unsustainable. I am currently aiming for 1200 cals :) (Last week I was eating around 1600 cals and only gained a couple pounds, but hopefully that will let me start losing at 1200 again)
  • gomidas2007
    gomidas2007 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I think there are a few of questions that you need to ask in order to get to where you want to be. I would highly recommend reading this article, and browsing the web site some more after that. But, this is a great place to start!

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/top-5-questions-women-need-answered-to-start-fat-loss-program.htm

One thing I think is important to realize, is that when you don't tke in enough calories throughout the day, you metabolism shuts down in order conserve energy. At this point, your diet will do nothing! Your body will continue to store fat. I would recommend using one of the calculators on this site to find the number of calories you should be taking in, and make sure to spread those out throughout the day. This will keep your metabolism up, and your body will continue to burn fat.

Hope this helps! Feel free to message me if you have any questions =)