intense side pains while running

Options
The last couple of times I have tried to run on the treadmill, a mix of left and right intense lower side burns have been happening.. So intense I have to stop and use the elliptical instead (which is still great, I just love running). Does anyone know what could be causing this?

I normally run 3-6 miles a day, usually only 3 but have been experimenting with going to the gym twice on heavy alcohol/food days. I stay pretty hydrated and usually have a bowl of cereal or an apple before working out, which gives me tons of energy. I'm 5'6 105 lbs if that helps.. I have been going for 3 miles a day for the last 2 or 3 months with a no gym day or light day like once a week or so if that helps.

Replies

• iSpuggz
    iSpuggz Posts: 39
    Options
    Is this like a side stitch or something totally different?

I always get stitches if I've had a drink up to half an hour before I run. If it's not the same sort of pain then I'm not sure what it could be.

You can check this out. Not sure if it's the same as your pain but... http://www.livestrong.com/article/242030-sharp-pain-in-lower-right-side-of-stomach-while-running/
  • lindalee0315
    lindalee0315 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I used to have this frequently when I ran. From my limited research on the topic it comes down to a few different possibilities: (1) lack of oxygen--this sounds weird, but if you raise your arms up for some reason it seems to help and slow down so you're getting a chance to breathe deeply for a few strides; (2) dehydration--make sure you're getting plenty of water; or (3) just lack of experience running. Your body isn't used to it, so it rebels. I paid attention to all of these things and now I never have this problem. It could be that I've run more or whatever, but even after not running for two weeks (due to car/bike incident) the cramps didn't come back.