Weight loss with Mirena/other hormonal IUD?

Options
I've had a hard time losing weight, but I refuse to give up my IUD. I got pregnant with my daughter (best accident ever, can I say now...) with a birth control pill, and I love the convenience of my IUD.

HOWEVER. Yes, the weight loss has been painfully slow (I lost weight much easier before...but it's also hard to say if that's just because I was younger without children or because of the IUD) and a friend told me she lost 40 pounds within three months of taking out her IUD without even doing anything.

My doctor says the most birth control pills have been shown to cause you to gain is 5 lbs, anything beyond that is just blaming elsewhere.

But I'm open-minded and even the brightest and best doctors can be wrong, what has been your experiences, ladies?

Replies

• charmander89
    charmander89 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I've lost all the weight on my ticker since having Mirena put in :) The only effects I had noticed in the very beginning were more food cravings and more bloating, but it hasn't kept me from losing at all!
  • Tenoreo90
    Tenoreo90 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I've lost all the weight on my ticker since having Mirena put in :) The only effects I had noticed in the very beginning were more food cravings and more bloating, but it hasn't kept me from losing at all!

Thank you! I definitely am hungrier than I was pre-Mirena (I've had it for two years now!) and I honestly think that might be the only thing. I used to eat 1100-1200 cal a day and not feel hungry, but now it's SO much harder. I just need to focus better. >:}
  • khartley535
    khartley535 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I am on my second Mirena and love it.

I don't pretend that my weight is due to the IUD. I have lost and gained with and without it.
    My weight issue is entirely my activity level and what I put in my mouth.
    I've found that I just have to want it bad enough.
  • jessicagraves1212
    jessicagraves1212 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    i just had mine taken out yesterday actually. i loved it! swore on it but being depressed from the weight gain and not being able to lose the weight plus the moodiness i was having around tom was a big decider. so i took it out to see if there any changes, if i dont see an improvement in weight loss plus less mood swings im going to have it put back in.