Interview Tips???

Options
Hey everybody,
I have an interview on Friday to be considered for entry in a CLS program, and wondered if you had any advice??

**** Also I need to get something to wear and I'm not feeling so happy with my body lately, hence I'm avoiding it like the plague. Any ideas of what to wear to present myself confidently?

Replies

• tony2009
    tony2009 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Be truthful, be ready for the typical questions. I.e what's your strength/weakness.
    If you smoke, make sure you have a mint or gum (don't chew like a cow though) with you.

Be confident. Wear something that's professional, wear it with confidence, and present yourself well. Don't come off as timid. Show them why they NEED you.

Don't fart.
  • Lsufan22
    Lsufan22 Posts: 33
    Options
    Confidence is Key. If you don't feel confident.... fake it, no one will ever know. Also make sure that you convey what you can and will do for the company, make them think you are the best candidate for the job.

Cheers
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    buy clothes that fit -- if you feel you are "fat" then wear something to cover it. NO horizonal stripes. Wear a rouched shirt which tends to slim you out -- I love wearing a black blazer over a brightly colored shirt --
    wear a necklace takes the focus up a bit

Always make eye contact and be confident -- you got this interview for a reason - make it happen !
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Hmm. I've always succeeded with interviews and jobs. Two things I focus on:

1. Be relaxed!! If you are nervous or flustered, it's going to make you stumped on questions and overall effect your thinking.

2. Have confidence. The interviewer doesn't want you to act like you aren't worthy of the job. Go in with the mentality of someone who has worked their for years, just don't be cocky! this helps me in situations where I may be out of my bubble of comfort. Such as luncheons. I want to hide in the corner but instead, carry myself proudly and am friendly and chit chat with the attendees and it makes me look professional and personable.

Don't wear something too fancy or too dull. Just clean, professional and tidy.
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Practice your answers to common interview questions!!
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    CLS program? Not sure what that is but from a Human Resources perspective...

1. Whether its an office job or not, wear something nice, slacks/skirt nice blouse/jacket etc
    2. ALWAYS STAND WHEN THEY ENTER THE ROOM!
    3. Shake hands firmly
    4. Watch using filler words like "um" "ya know" etc
    5. Do not chew gum!!!
    6. Do research on the company before hand so that you impress them with the fact that you didn't randomly apply.
    7. Do not bounce your leg if you cross them.
    8. Never discuss pay or benefits during the interview, usually inquire about that after the interview or if they ask you "Do you have any questions for us"

Those are some big ones I run into.

Edit: If it helps I hire for a small manufacturing plant with both office and warehouse personnel,
  • mariacolumbus
    mariacolumbus Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Focus on the 3 C's; I always use this as an interview outline:
    Character - your intregrity, loyalty to the company, etc
    Chemistry- how you fit well into the company, how you get along well/team player with co-workers, etc
    Competency- how well you can do the job

Competency can be learned on the job, but Character is a BIG factor in any position...if you are trustworthy, high integrity, team player, you can learn the job and fit in well with the other co-workers.

Dress modestly and conservatively and maturely. Show them they are getting the cream of the crop if they hire you

Hope this helps!
    Good Luck!!
  • specialemy
    specialemy Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...make sure you eat before you go and bring some water with you. Be confident but not cocky, dress professional, and be yourself. Showing some true personality is refreshing, and GOOD LUCK!
  • bbshell0219
    Options
    The interview is to get accepted into a program for Clinical Laboratory Science at a major university. It's tough because there are only a few slots left this late in the game so I really have to be sharp.
  • bbshell0219
    Options
    Yes buying clothes that fit is really a tough thing, but makes a world of difference. Thanks for the tip :)