Personal Training

Options
I joined a gym in February and since then I have lost 30 lbs. Still am overweight and I am doing the same routine when I do go to the gym because I am not sure what I am supposed to be doing! I am still seeing weight loss from my own little routine and eating better...but I feel as though I would be making more progress with some guidance ...a personal trainer?

Does anyone recommend personal training or have experience with getting a personal trainer and if so did you feel like it has paid off ?

I just need some education on different machines and reps etc.

Thanks !!!!!!!!!!

Replies

• MrDel
    MrDel Posts: 33
    Options
    I had one for about a year. I would say if you can afford it trying one once a week or occasionally for some new workout ideas, circuits and help with proper weight and form. Then you can take what your learn and apply it throughout the week.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I've been using a PT for the past year, and it has definitely paid off. Between MFP, my PT and doing cardio on my own I lost 30 pounds and went from a 10 to a 4.

I think that as long as I can afford it, I will keep seeing a PT. Not because I don't know what to do, but I'm lazy.. I need someone to set up a program for me, go through it with me, and then I can do it on my own.
  • BigWin20
    BigWin20 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I spent almost 9 years as a personal trainer. It's funny how we will pay for piano or guitar lessons, but think having a professional teach us how to use 30,000 square feet of modern fitness equipment that can permanently damage you is a luxury not a necessity. That being said, trainers are all not created equal. All it takes is 2 days, a few hundred bucks, and a moderate attention span and intelligence to get a certification. A good, intelligent, motivating, and educated trainer is worth their weight in gold. Not only can they teach you proper form on exercises (for injury prevention and effectiveness - if you are performing an exercise incorrectly and only earning 25% efficiency you won't be getting the results you want either), but they will motivate you, hold you accountable for coming in the gym, and educate you. Find one with experience and any good trainer that has been doing it long enough should have at least references if not a portfolio to show their worth.
  • Jessica2787
    Options
    Thank you for responding!

I will take your advice and when finding a PT make sure I do some research. I have seen some at the gym I go to working with their clients and I just feel like they lack the passion that goes into it...they seem unenthusiastic and bored...their clients are often sent on their own to do things...but I have seen some trainers at other gyms who appear to be very into their jobs and spend their sessions educating their clients and getting them motivated, etc.

After reading your advice I 100% agree that someone should invest in a PT when starting a fitness plan... although I am currently on a tight budget the way I figure is if I was spending so much $ on fast food/ eating out that seems so cheap..but when added up is NOT...that I can take the money I used to spend on unhealthy habits and put that towards a great PT.

I really appreciate the time you took in responding to my post and I'll be using your advice !
  • KINGoftheBUFF
    KINGoftheBUFF Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    As the saying goes "Go to the experts if you want it done right". So yes, a good trainer can make the difference between wasting your time and success. Check creditials and make sure they are certified with one of the top 5 certifications..."ace, nasm, ect" As with any career field, not all trainers are created equal, so do your homework and it will pay off.
  • jharpsphotography
    Options
    PT is definitely worth it. It's not cheap, but if you need that extra push it's a great way to learn how to do things right and be kept accountable.
  • mellabyte
    mellabyte Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I had one for about a year. I would say if you can afford it trying one once a week or occasionally for some new workout ideas, circuits and help with proper weight and form. Then you can take what your learn and apply it throughout the week.

^^ This.

I did the same thing. Was with a PT once or twice a week for a year. Learned a lot about form, isolating muscle groups, circuits, ideas for new routines. If you get a good one, it's worth it.
  • ImKindOfABigDeal40
    ImKindOfABigDeal40 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend it. There are a lot of quacks who feed you false information. There are a lot of resources on the internet. Very knowledgeable people on this site too.
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    Wish I had a PT around here.....I would so buy one!
  • lauraniwa
    lauraniwa Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I spent 5 years as a PT before going back to school for physio. Beware the following
    - weekend courses that offer "certification"
    - trainers who are more into selling you a product than your fitness goals
    - someone that doesn't respect your budget

Also you need to get along with them as a person and as a professional. Be up front, share your goals and availability in the beginning.
    Best of luck.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!!! Best decision I ever made. First trainer I saw was at a private studio - helped me get started on losing over 60lbs and completely changed my life. Continued working out on my own, checking in with them periodically. This year started seeing a trainer weekly at the gym. I had hit a major plateau. He has since completely changed up my workouts. I lost more weight and lowered my body fit. I've made huge gains in my running, biking, and swimming as I've gotten stronger working with him.
    You have to find the right person. When you do, it is so worth it.