Need help with my Fried Zucchini

Options
MernyMac
MernyMac Posts: 37 Member
I love love love my fried zuccini !.....I make it a meal in itself.....I take a nice sized zucchini, slice it thick, dip in egg wash, then in a combo of Italian bread crumbs and Panko bread crumbs........I heat about an inch of vegetable oil in a saucepot....I get the oil hot enough so that when I put the zuccini in it takes only a few seconds to brown up the crumbs and not cook the zuccini so it's soft....I don't like that!

So here's the question....How do I figure in the oil for frying in my recipe?......I know it adds calories, but how much ?

Any help will be greatly appreciated......I don't want to give up my Fried Zucchini, I love it soooo much !

Replies

• SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Measure the oil as you put it in the pan.

Then when you're done, measure what's left. The difference is how much your zucchini soaked up and thus, you consumed.
  • DebbieMc3
    DebbieMc3 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    A lot! The only true way to know how much it absorbs is to measure the oil before frying then measure it after frying.
    Have you considered oven frying it? Bread it the same way, spritz it with an oil spray, and bake until crispy.
    You will save a ton of fat and calories.
  • EuroReady
    EuroReady Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I saw somewhere that someone used ground flaxseed and almonds as the breading. I haven't tried it but you might like it. I know this wasn't the point of the post but it sounded too yummy, and healthy, not to pass along.
  • 130annie
    130annie Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Don't cook with flaxseed oil...It will go bitter....
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    A lot! The only true way to know how much it absorbs is to measure the oil before frying then measure it after frying.
    Have you considered oven frying it? Bread it the same way, spritz it with an oil spray, and bake until crispy.
    You will save a ton of fat and calories.

This!! Olive oil spray on the pan, then a little on the zucchini once it's in the pan.
  • lunarastro
    lunarastro Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Not quite fried zucchinni, but very very good. Trey Grilled zucchini instead. slice the zucchini into either thick verticle slices or horozontally into round discs. They should be about 3/4 inch thick. spray with Pam on both sides, shake on garlic powder, black pepper, and saalt to taste. grill on hot grill fro about 4 minutes on each side just untill the zucchini is starting to "give " a little- serve and eat! Wonderfull with almost no added calories from oil.
  • DelilahCat0212
    DelilahCat0212 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Get a Misto. They sell them online or in some grocery stores. Fill it with your favorite oil. Bread your zucchini as usual and then spray with the oil in the Misto. Bake instead of frying. If your oven is good and hot it will get nice and crispy.

Here's one version that's really great (fried zucchini is one of my favorites too)

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/01/baked-zucchini-sticks-13-pts.html
  • MernyMac
    MernyMac Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I've tried oven baking it, but it gets too soft for my liking, and not crispy enough ......Maybe I can try doing the measuring of the oil to see If I can get a handle on it that way.

Thanks everyone for your feedback.
  • SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    In the OP's defense ... fried zuchini done with just the spray, or a very minute amount of oil, or broiled or baked ... IS NOT THE SAME! LOL

I don't each fried zucchini much anymore (once a year maybe?) and usually eat my zucchini (and other veggies) raw, steamed or grilled. But doing so is NOT A SUBSTITUTE for fried zucchini.

I think that if the OP tries to sub those things for her fried zucchini, she'll be very very disappointed. The other ways are good, and should be pursued, but to view it as a substitute could easily backfire.