Mayo?

Options
What is a good substitute for mayo? Is there one??

Replies

• ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    avocado! well depending on what you are having as the meal =)
  • cbevan1229
    cbevan1229 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you're having. In tuna salad or on a Turkey sandwich, I cut the Mayo in half and use mustard (usually dijon) for the other half.
  • alaina216
    alaina216 Posts: 103
    Options
    Greek Yogurt!!! Anything that would usually need mayo, I just use the Greek yogurt instead! Tastes great and has more protein :)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I mostly stopped eating mayo years ago and use just mustard on my sandwiches. If I'm making tuna salad or a recipe that calls for mayo I just use the lower fat version. It has about half the calories.
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I :heart: mayo! But I have switched to reduced fat sour cream on my sandwiches to cut a few cals here and there. I haven't been able to part w/ it on a burger, though. It's worth every single calorie!!:love:
  • jzaz903
    jzaz903 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    i like the kraft mayo made with olive oil... lower in calories and olive oil is a good fat!
  • momof3inmn
    momof3inmn Posts: 26
    Options
    Mainly for cold pasta salads...
  • maxonehiphop
    maxonehiphop Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Yeah, just plain yogurt works great. I usually add some pepper. I've tried several kinds. Greek is probably my favorite but I use whatever plain yogurt happens to be in the fridge. I liked them all better than mayo personally.
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    i like the kraft mayo made with olive oil... lower in calories and olive oil is a good fat!
    This. I don't use mayo a lot, but if I absolutely need it I'll use a teeny bit of this kind.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I still use mayo. As long as you eat a serving of the cold pasta and not all of it, it won't matter much.
  • laus_8882
    laus_8882 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Low fat yoghurt mixed with mayo. I've found in the past that you can do 1/4 mayo to 3/4 yoghurt with the taste not being so affected as to render the dish unrecognisable. I think 1/4 low fat sour cream, 1/4 mayo and 1/2 low fat yoghurt would work well for a pasta salad. I know in previous days of gluttony my favourite potato salad dressing was loads of fresh dill and parsley, half sour cream (full fat, gloriously full fat) and half mayo.
  • Praisethesun
    Options
    There are a few brands of vegan mayo that are lower in calories if you still want to have that mayo taste without the caloric intake. Nasoya Nayonaise is only 35 calories per tbsp over Hellman's Real Mayo which is 90. By itself, you can probably taste the difference but on a sandwich you will be none-the-wiser.
  • senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    depends on what you are eating... sandwiches you can go with avocado or mustard.
  • britcurl
    britcurl Posts: 110 Member
    Options

For pasta salad I just use light italian dressing! Makes it super yummy!
  • apryljo1
    apryljo1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options

Have you tried pasta salad made with balsmaic vinegar instead of mayo? Thy taste lighter and can go a bit longer without refrigeration than mayo salads (this is my favorite: http://www.food.com/recipe/balsamic-pasta-salad-360792)

Greek yogurt or sour cream would be a good mayo alternative in a regular pasta salad though I think!
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I use Mindful Mayo with Olive Oil by Earth Balance because it doesn't have soy in it for when I make tuna or chicken salad.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I am not really a big fan of mayo, but for flavor on sandwhiches and stuff, I use fat free italian dressing, spicy brown mustard or regular if you prefer, or even light mayo. Or hot sauce, I put hot sauce on everything.
  • momof3inmn
    momof3inmn Posts: 26
    Options
    I'm looking for a mayo sub for specific recipes that have the mayo/vinegar/sugar mixture. Maybe I'll try the greek yogurt or light mayo/mayo w/ olive oil.
  • FlamingFlipflop
    FlamingFlipflop Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm a mayo junkie, and I just tried this yesterday and was extremely happy with the out come.

Hummus. There's different flavours, it's healthy. best of both worlds!

As well, I am lactose intolerant, so yogourt wouldn't work for me

And avocado is not the yummy to me...

But I mixed hummus in with my can of tuna. Amazing.