Strength Training at Home, Any good or waste of time?

Options
13»

Replies

• contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Hi; something I haven't seen mentioned here; I do (TRX) gravity straps workouts at home. All you need is a doorway and your own body weight as resistance! You can buy an expensive or less expensive set. These workouts have done a great deal for me in just a few months, and it only takes about a half hour to do the session. The workouts can also be adapted to increase the difficulty as you become more fit.

I work out with that at home as well and like other forms of calisthenics, you do EVENTUALLY reach a point where you start to see an upper body bias in how hard you can hit your muscles in your training. For me that was around the time I started being able to do pullups using my suspension trainer. Now even single leg squats aren't enough to challenge my lower body anymore. So I'm investing in sandbags.
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    If you can get some Dumbbells and a Barbell, you will really benefit from it.

It might cost you a bit more upfront, but you can do it in the comfort of your own home and it's there when you need to use them. With a gym, you are sharing the equipment and you will most likely have to wait for people to stop using the equipment, unless you go at a time where it's pretty much empty. You would also have to keep paying every week, month or even year if you are subscribed to them.

I'm not saying a gym is bad, but everyone has there own preferences when it comes to working out.

So far, I have a set of Dumbbells with a total weight of around 40lb which I have been working my way upwards. Doing upper and lower body workouts and I can see a difference in my muscles, the size and I can feel the difference. I am doing Bent Over One Armed Row's with 27lb on each arm, before I think I was lifting less than 20lb. I'm also lifting like 20lb during a Bicep Curl, whereas before I could only lift like 12lb or something. So gradually, I am getting stronger. Hell I remember trying to pick up my weight set from JJB Sports lol. I struggle so much, but now, I can pick it up with ease.

Next month, I'm going to kick up a notch and buy a Barbell set which will consist of 70lb in total. I will be able to work on my legs properly which will also give me really good workout.

If I were living in my own place, I would have a Workout Bench, Squat Rack, Barbells, Dumbbells and a Pull up Bar. I think the Barbell, Dumbbells and Pull Up Bar are probably the most essential pieces of equipment when strength training. You will definitely get a full body workout doing squats, deadlifts, lunges and pull ups.
  • sarahmrimmer
    Options
    I lift at home 3x per week with just dumbbells... http://www.building-muscle101.com/dumbbell-workout-routine.html
  • holeshottdr
    holeshottdr Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Every one of my workouts for the last 4 years (with the exception of running outside and when I am forced to use a hotel gym) has been done in my workout room at my house. I have quite a collection of free weights that I have bought used off of the local classified ads. There is no reason for me to go to a gym and it allows me to do a workout when it fits into my schedule.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    As mentioned legs are a bit trickier than upper body if you don't have weights at your disposal, or only dumbbells.

It isn't really possible to run out of resistance in the upper body. Male gymnasitcs are all about strength, and male gymnasts have the opposite genetic gift that NFL lineman have. They have the ability to put on a ton of strength with no mass, so their strength:size ratio gets ridiculous. Most of the high level male gymnastics moves are out of reach to normal people, you'll put on too much muscle weight to ever get a ridiculously high strength:size ratio. Powerlifters and strongmen migh be strong, but not strong enough relative to their size to do something like a planche.

If you think that upper body bodyweight exercises are too easy, you need to spend some time with google.

The lower body is a different animal. The highest resistance BW lower body exercises are Pistol Squats, Shrimp Squats, Glute-Ham Raises, and Bodyweight Extensions.

Of those Pistols are pretty easy (relatively speaking), but they are also easy to load and you don't need a ton of weight to do so, every pound added to a pistol is the same resistance increase as 2 lb on the barbel. They can also be done as plyo squats. But since a pistol is a pretty complex move, loading one with much more than 100 lbs begins to get a little infeasible (adding weights aids balance to the point where it gets hard to hold the weights). Granted a pistol + 100 lbs is about as much resistance as a 350-400 lb back squat for a 200 lb person, impressive but not overly so.

Shrimp squats are a good bit harder and a little less known. The leverage is different which greatly increases the squatting forces required. A shrimp squat is actually a 1 leg lunge. In a squat the weight should be centered over the heel, and it is in a pistol, in a lunge the center of mass is behind the heel, which increases the force required by the quads. Shrimp squats are a little more difficult to weight.

Glute-ham raises are crazy hard. It requires a little apparatus at home, a way to support your feet and a pillow for your knees, but the forces aren't so high that a support can't be found/made. They can be weighted, but if GHR's are too easy for you, you have pretty inhuman strength in your legs.

Bodyweight leg extensions are the opposite of GHR's. They are possible to do (I've seen a video of one being performed), however the forces involved for your foot support are absolutely astronomical, I'm still working out a workable support at home. If the cross bars are strong enough a decline situp bench would work for partial ROM.

You can also do weighted sprints, hill sprints, or weighted hill sprints. Sprinting builds muslces as well, especailly when you do it in short max effort bursts (a la the 100m) with enough time to recover between each run so that you are able to apply peak power output on each run (which is not the case witht he whole HIIT fad that is currently going on).

Of course the other option is to go drive to a big empty parking lot, put the car in neutral, and push it around in max effort bursts. A lot of football players do this, but it seems to be mostly confined to them.
  • JesseMotes
    Options
    just wanted to throw in a couple tips for people who are poor and cant afford home gyms. get a pack of tube socks from walmart mens section for about 5 bucks. get a bag of play sand from home depot for about 3 bucks. using your bathroom scale measure out a couple pounds of sand per sock and tie it off however is convenient for you. as you need more weight, pick up more socks.
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Sure, you can. (see my home gym pics below)
    Just get the proper equipment. dumbbells, barbel, bench, whatever you can afford.
    And so many people just give this stuff away, or sell cheap @ a garage sale, or on craigslist.
  • AndiJ2011
    AndiJ2011 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    My husband got ripped up at home with a pull up bar & dumbbells and a bench....

he uses alot of his own body also (if that makes sense - don't know the proper term... pushups, pullups, etc...)

Same for me, but I am just toned, not ripped. Actually, we just got a YMCA membership on 4th July for our kids to swim. Have fun!
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Actually, you don't need any weights at all! Here's a large collection of workouts, most of which don't use any equipment! All you need are a good pair of shoes, and your own willpower!

http://www.youtube.com/user/ZuzkaLight?feature=g-user-u
    You also forgot to mention the need for a defibrillator to be on hand :laugh:

I would kill to be as young and fit as Zuzka, but alas like most of my pals here on MFP, I'm middle-aged and over-weight. I do lots of cardio so I'm not as un-fit as I was this time last year, but I'd love to find some core strength exercises that I could do at home and not kill myself (I've tried planks and burpees and fail miserably on both counts!)
  • Imanido
    Imanido Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Really interesting thread, I often ask myself the same question as I don't have any chance to choose because of having 2 little ones with me all day and night. so for me it will have to be at home. It is easy to incorporate cardio and I am really interested with all the suggestions to do strength training with little or no equipment.
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    Options

I would kill to be as young and fit as Zuzka, but alas like most of my pals here on MFP, I'm middle-aged and over-weight. I do lots of cardio so I'm not as un-fit as I was this time last year, but I'd love to find some core strength exercises that I could do at home and not kill myself (I've tried planks and burpees and fail miserably on both counts!)

how about lunges and squats? they're good for your balance, the squats, if done right definitely work on the back muscles and the lunges on the abs. And, you can make them more difficult with slowing the down-movement or adding a torso rotation...

I'm in my 20's and planks are REALLY hard, so don't feel like it's because you're older! just keep going, they'll get easier.

TRX is nice and versatile, you can work your whole body just with some adjustable ropes (because that's what they are :P )
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Actually, you don't need any weights at all! Here's a large collection of workouts, most of which don't use any equipment! All you need are a good pair of shoes, and your own willpower!

http://www.youtube.com/user/ZuzkaLight?feature=g-user-u

Keep trying them. Do planks on your knees, do just 2 burpees if necessary. I'm 40 and fitter/stronger than I was at 20. I can do things I never thought possible eg:
    l-sit.jpg