Bicycle Recommendations?

Options
I'm planning to visit a bike shop soon, as we have a really nice trail close to our house. It runs between Kalamazoo and South Haven and is too gorgeous to resist. I'd like to start biking, get my endurance up, and complete it someday (it's about 45 miles).

Since I weigh about 335 pounds, I know I need a special seat, wheels, frame, etc. Are there any bike brands that I should ask about? Are some better for heavier people? What about price range (how much am I going to have to cough up?) Any recommendations in general, like style of seat? I carry most of my weight in my hips/rear/thighs. My legs are super strong, but I'm sure my butt will get tired after a while.

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    A hybrid with a 'solid front fork' would be the way to go. Try the default seat for now. Any bike store brand should be good. Find out about frame warranty weight limitation before buying.

anticipate $300-600.
  • lt3ag4s
    lt3ag4s Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I just got a Paratrooper Pro from Montague. I love it.
    http://www.montaguebikes.com/
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    The bike shop should be able to recommend a good bike.

I would suggest that you do buy a gel seat though. When I got my bike (I have a Gary Fisher), the default seat nearly killed me....it was one of the first things I went back to replace!

Another helpful thing to consider is getting the computer put on it to track your mileage, speed, etc... I LOVE having that and it wasn't a lot extra. I ride a lot of busy paths, and got a little bell too, so I can sound a warning if I'm passing other bikers, walkers, etc... (just don't ring them at people with dogs...it freaks them out) :laugh:

Good luck with your purchase, and Happy Riding!
  • Crocetti1984
    Options
    I have a Specialized Ariel that I absolutely love. It's a splurge at around $600 give or take but I've used it for everything (fitness, transportation...even a basket for my groceries! :D) in the past 6 years and it's been extremely good to me. I got a nice wide gel seat for it and it was able to hold me at my heaviest. Just started riding again in the past week and a half and already seeing a difference in my legs and hips. Happy Bike Shopping!
  • ChadWGreen
    ChadWGreen Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have an GT Pantara mountain bike with a racing saddle (seat). I don't like bigger seats. I find them very uncomfortable, especially on long rides. Make sure the you get fitted for the bike properly and invest in a good pair of bike shorts.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Please someone else be singing the Queen song in their head right now?

I love my Specialized, hope you find a good bike!
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Another helpful thing to consider is getting the computer put on it to track your mileage, speed, etc... I LOVE having that and it wasn't a lot extra.
    That would be nice. I considered purchasing a Garmin for that, but I didn't want to put TOO much into this. I figured I'd just use the GPS in my phone. I'm sure I can find some type of biking app, similar to the running apps.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Another helpful thing to consider is getting the computer put on it to track your mileage, speed, etc... I LOVE having that and it wasn't a lot extra.
    That would be nice. I considered purchasing a Garmin for that, but I didn't want to put TOO much into this. I figured I'd just use the GPS in my phone. I'm sure I can find some type of biking app, similar to the running apps.

What type of phone? If android I believe endomondo has this functionality.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    It was only like $35 extra (installed at the bike shop when I bought it) when I got mine 6 years ago (and might even be less now). Its a really nice way to keep track of your accomplishments!
  • doggiesnot
    doggiesnot Posts: 334 Member
    Options

I have my iPhone mounted on the handlebars in an otterbox case. Even though it feels solid, at 20 m.p.h. hitting a small bump has sent it flying on a couple of occasions. Now I use a bungee after clipping it in. There are several apps if you have an iPhone, I use "runtastic mountainbike pro" but there are many others.
  • VenomousDuck
    VenomousDuck Posts: 206
    Options
    I am also a big person. My bike shop guy was great!

frame that fit me best was the Trek 7.3

I have it set up as a road bike but with the hybrid bars.

Strong, light weight aluminum frame. Shimano and Bontrager gear all around.

Really nice and comfortable considering my size.
  • HowieTwoPointZero
    HowieTwoPointZero Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Local bike shop hooked me up with a used Frankenstein model.

They called it Kevorkian because before they put the front end on it, it was a damn death trap.

Love the damn thing.

smallbike.jpg
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Please someone else be singing the Queen song in their head right now?

I love my Specialized, hope you find a good bike!

NOW I am. I hate you. >:(

:)