starting again............again

Options
well here I am again, I did quite well at the begining of the year and lost 16lbs but didn't so much as fall of the waggon but jumped......anyway I have regained that 16lbs and feel so bloated, my trousers are tight and I feel very dissapointed with myself ...again.

Why do I keep doing this to myself. I can't seem to find a happy medium, I am either on a diet and doing really well or off and gaining. I am finding this really hard and could use a bit of a motivation. I know I need to do this for myself and I feel better when I track what I eat but if I go over my calorie intake for the day I feel that I have blown it. I have done 2 good days so far and exercised both days

How can I stop being an all or nothing kind of girl

sorry if I am being a bit negative

Maxine

Replies

• rickpearce
    rickpearce Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same place. Except add about another dozen 'agains' in your topic.

It is a war not a battle. I think we need to get our heads around that and try to focus more on an overall change than just some milestone.

I don't know. I am really struggling with this myself. I am trying not to be overly hard on myself but it's hard not to be.

At least we are back here - again.

I hope you stick with it and have success.
  • butterflylover527
    butterflylover527 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Sounds like me! I was really strong at the beginning of this year then fell off for a while. Only gain 5 of the 17 lbs back but I couldn't get that 5 lbs off. It's hard, and you need the right people to help you get through it. Feel free to add me!
  • spunky9381
    Options
    I totally understand I am in the same boat. Getting back in gear and trying to move on and lose the weight again. Will get through this :)
  • BridgetMiko
    BridgetMiko Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    This is me too... but with a couple more "agains" and more like 30 lbs. For me, I just keep trying to remind myself that beating myself up for what's already done is pretty useless. Also, I try to remember that when I eat better and get exercise in I just feel better, mentally and physically, and that alone is worth it.
  • hmm5062
    hmm5062 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I''ve had this same problem too! I'll diet for a week or so then the first "bad" day I have, I just give up. I need to remember it is a lifestyle change and not a short-term diet. Also, that one bad day or one bad meal won't ruin everything..
  • motivationalwellbeing
    Options
    Slipping up here and there isn't going to make much of a difference, happens to all of us. However, if you use that as an excuse to continue to slip up, it obviously will. To deal with the all or nothing mentality, try adopting this new motto: Something is better than nothing.

Don't feel like working out for an hour? Then just do 20 minutes.

Had a "bad" meal? That's fine, just make sure your next meal is a "good" one.

A tiny step in the right direction is better than nothing.
  • ALaureano2423
    ALaureano2423 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Sounds like an all to familiar story. The sad part is, for me, it was 50 lbs that I had taken off and put it all back on. It was devastating that I was so out of control after I got close to my goal weight. I guess I just felt like I was being deprived of something by not eating exactly what I wanted, and all the weight came back. It takes a long time to accept that this is not meant to be a band aid solution, its a lifetime commitment to being healthy and active. Good luck, I know you can do it this time!
  • bikhi
    bikhi Posts: 175
    Options
    when i want to stray i just repeat the phrase, " insulin and needles" to myself. that's where i'm headed if i don't lose weight.

mind you, it doesn't always work but most of the time it does.