Alcohol and metabolism?

Options
I definitely drink more in the past few years than I used too...I don't think it's anything crazy, I have a couple drinks during the week, but it's the weekend that I tend to over-do it. Anyhow, my brother said that when he researched he saw that alcohol slows the metabolism. I've never seen anyone on here mention it. I'm wondering if this is my whole problem? Even if I keep my calories within my goal, could this be slowing me down? It is taking me forver to lose any weight.

Replies

• ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I've always joked that it's my drinking that makes it take so long for me to cut up. I haven't read anything about it slowing metabolism when you're not drinking, but I do know that it has a tonnn of calories.

I go hard during the week with the gym and dieting to compensate for my weekend binges, and so far I'm winning.
  • mydeloo78
    mydeloo78 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Alcohol even within your calories will affect weight loss. The body proceses alcohol over everything else. I stopped drinking and lost 10lbs. To answer your question yes, this absolutely could be slowing your weight loss.
  • wildflowerklc
    wildflowerklc Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am also a weekend heavy drinker unfortunately. It's hard to get back on weight loss track when monday rolls around. I think even low cal cocktails are terrible, but they are better than mai tais and margaritas! rum and diet or vodka diet tonic are my fav.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Alcohol is ok.

The problem is many drinks have a ton of calories. You can drink a good 1,000 calories quite easily on a decent night.

Stick to hard alcohols in calorie free mixers. So, Blueberry vodka and soda water or Jack and Diet Coke, etc.
  • findfan4ever
    findfan4ever Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Alcohol is ok.

The problem is many drinks have a ton of calories. You can drink a good 1,000 calories quite easily on a decent night.

Stick to hard alcohols in calorie free mixers. So, Blueberry vodka and soda water or Jack and Diet Coke, etc.

My friend, you haven't a clue regarding this matter. I suggest you either research the topic first or just keep your yap shut.
  • findfan4ever
    findfan4ever Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I definitely drink more in the past few years than I used too...I don't think it's anything crazy, I have a couple drinks during the week, but it's the weekend that I tend to over-do it. Anyhow, my brother said that when he researched he saw that alcohol slows the metabolism. I've never seen anyone on here mention it. I'm wondering if this is my whole problem? Even if I keep my calories within my goal, could this be slowing me down? It is taking me forver to lose any weight.

Your brother is onto something. Keeping things understandable, alcohol is viewed by the body as a poison, therefore, it must get rid of it. During alcohol metabolism, the body expends energy to break down and get rid of alcohol. The liver can only break down a MAXIMUM of 1/2 oz of alcohol per hour. Due to the depressant effects on other body systems, and this slow rate of alcohol metabolism, any proteins, carbs, or fats eaten are immediately stored in fat. Also, alcohol inhibits fat metabolism.

The effects of alcohol can have acute or chronic effects. The long term effects we are all familiar with ...... I think. When it comes to the short to mid term effects of alcohol, one will experience weight gain or slow down weight loss. What you are experiencing could be the effects of weekend drinking in which you feel the effects for several days (regarding weight loss) and feel like you are getting back to "normal" by Thursday or Friday.

What I would suggest is (1) DO NOT listen to the guy above who said drinking the hard alcohols are better ..... or that drinking is okay when it comes to weight loss. Hard alcohols have a higher concentration of alcohol in them than beer or wines and will take LONGER to metabolize. (2) If you are going to drink, do it in moderation. If you are experiencing peer pressure to drink, just be honest with them and say you are curbing the amount you drink because you are changing your eating habits. Hopefully, they will honor and respect that. Hell, you may even get a few of them to slow down.

Below are a few articles you may want to read. If you can get by some of the scientific terms, the third article is really informative.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/126358-just-bad-alcohol-weight-loss/

http://www.oregoncounseling.org/ArticlesPapers/Documents/ETOHBIOFx.htm

http://alcoholism.about.com/cs/alerts/l/blnaa35.htm
  • Ilovejacks
    Ilovejacks Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Work out hard so you can play hard!!!!!Allow the calories & enjoy:-):drinker: