Just left WW for MFP -- anyone else?

Options
2»

Replies

• virgogrrl77
    virgogrrl77 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I did WW for a year and was successful at losing weight. I liked the accountability with the weekly weigh-ins and I did enjoy the support groups. However, as others have mentioned, the minute I stopped tracking I started putting weight back on. What I didn't like about WW was the lack of information on tracking macronutrients. My brain responds better to tracking calories, protein, carbs, and fats than points. I also I find myself selecting more healthful foods now than when I was doing WW.
  • Notthe1st
    Notthe1st Posts: 1
    Options
    I just joined MFP yesterday, and will be cancelling my WW membership when I get the next "pass" in the mail. Good luck to us both!
  • jmac263
    jmac263 Posts: 87
    Options
    I did too and have had more success here and its FREE!!
  • iheartredsox80
    iheartredsox80 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I left WW and joined MFP just as you did, I did the online thing but didint see the point in paying money for the same thing this site does PLUS I get so much more support from my MFP pals, they are a good motivator even on the slump days! Feel free to add me!
  • newmom_kali
    Options
    Anyone of you ever tried Beachbody?
  • lulu3561
    lulu3561 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I joined WW in January 2012 - I found tracking points easier to start off with and I have an app on my phone to scan items at the grocery store for the point value. In the beginning I started out slow and the points worked for me. Now that I'm more mentally connected on this journey I have found that counting calories and watching the nutritional value it has really helped me push forward. WW was never that big on exercise but now they are starting to push the "get active" plan. I don't feel a connection with any of the people at the meeting. I do still go to the meetings and weigh in it's the accountability factor that helps keep me focused and on track...plus it's nice to get the little tokens when you reach milestones. It's up to me to take the steps and do this but I just need a little guidance on my way.
  • lambch0ps
    lambch0ps Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    WW worked for me the first time - when I was 38 - fast forward 10 years later and I had put the 25 lbs back on and then some, following the maintenance plan, as well as several attempts to lose again along the way. Apparently my metabolism slowed way down but my target points did not - and it no longer worked. I kept using it online though because I didn't know about MFP and I know I had to track - before MFP I lost 10 lbs using WW online, but at 10 - 15 pts below my target (and forget the flex points - NEVER could use those), and with much lower carbs.

I found MFP through Beachbody.com after starting P90X and its awesome. There's some things that aren't as "slick" as WW, but there is much more of an ability to communicate with other people, unedited success stories, etc. And calories are oh so much more straight forward than points - I learned that the hard way for sure!

So, you have my welcome!
  • Timalein
    Timalein Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Me too! It worked for me the first time (205 lbs down to 124). But now I am older (44 years old) and it is harder to loose weight this time around. I hurt my neck a few years ago and quite exercising but kept eating the way I was able to at that time because I was cycling more than 200 miles a week. hence the weight came back and I have had the hardest time loosing it especially around the belly. I decided to us this website (myfitnesspal.com) for free and am following the Flat Belly Diet by Liz Vaccariello (I downloaded the book and the pocket guide) http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=flat+belly+diet. I am following this plan because a girlfriend of mine did it at the age of 58 and lost weight and looks absolutely fabulous and I want to have the same success. So there is my motivation! I want to be healthier but I also want to be able to shop for clothes outside of the elastic pants department if you get what I mean.
  • mmhaller
    Options
    Me too! I JUST cancelled my my subscription last week. I lost 25 pounds doing ww about 7 years ago and since then, very slowly, I've gained most of it back -- although differently if that makes any sense. I started feeling like the new system didn't work for me -- especially not counting fruit. I think that is great for people who are transitioning from really unhealthy habits but when I tracked a cup and a half of grapes on here I was surprised to learn they were around 150 calories! Not that I should avoid them, but this just seems better for me.

I've very excited to see what happen! Nice to meet all you expats (ok, I know that word doesn't totally work, but ... sort of?)
  • Tishaboo5
    Options
    I was on MFP and decided to give WWers a shot with my co-workers. Although I lost weight, I don't feel that it forced me to eat healthier necessarily. I came back to MFP last week and have already dropped 3.6 pounds...and this isn't water weight!

The new Points Plus program does not make you count calories or track most fruits and vegetables. Which worked for me because I naturally choose grapes over chips anyways!! I was wondering if anyone here has tried MFP without tracking their fruits and veggies and had any success?
  • Timalein
    Timalein Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have the P90X, ChaLean Extreme and Power 90
    I like ChaLean and followed the workout plan and became very strong (no flabby arms and legs) but didn't follow the eating plan (my error still flabby belly)
    Power 90 I enjoyed in the beginning but got bored pretty fast and the DVD's are dated
    P90X is fantastic but I didn't like doing it very much (I think I have to like what I are doing otherwise I wont follow through)
    Over-all I really like ChaLean and I have been doing Les Mills Body Pump at 24 hour fitness (BeachBody also carries Les Mills) - I love the Les Mills class and do spin as well
  • flamingo1227
    Options
    I was successful on WW and lost 30 pounds, but even though everyone says that WW is diabetic friendly it was really hard when diabetes hit my husband. We had to take drastic measures for him which left me feeling deprived and I overindulged when away from home. We have now found a balance and I need to lose the weight I put back on.

So far I have found this experience easier with counting calories, although carbs and sugar are very important to me. The answer is that there are no breaks, it is forever, and counting calories is easier. Journaling is something that I am used to, so that doesn't bother me. My goal is about a pound a week, since I am slow in taking it off. Every little bit helps.
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I did WW as well. And yes I did lose weight. The problem that I had was with the lack of motivation to exercise. While the leaders and participants had all lost weight most were really flabby. At one meeting I asked the lady next to me how much weight she had lost and she told me 45 pounds. Only took her 18 months to do it... I need faster results than that. And she was skinny fat (didn't know what that was til MFP). Also since joining MFP I realize WW pushes their processed food. All I ate was their meals for breakfast and lunch. And we all know how toxic those prepackaged meals are.

I think if you can do WW as an informed person you will know how to circumvent all the misleading things they teach. I definitely think MFP is much better. Because we can track protein, fat etc. And yes the free part isn't too shabby either. And let me just say. Jennifer Hudson DID NOT get that body strickly by WW. you know that girl has a personal trainer. Not an ounce of flab on her.
  • emmie0622
    emmie0622 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I left recently too. I love the program itself but it is just mind boggling that they will spend 4 million dollars to have jessica simpson as a spokesperson and cannot fix their website or app. I see on facebook they did an update to the app and people cannot track with it. Then people are having trouble with the website getting error messages. Most infuriating is you call and they act like nothing is wrong. When you have people posting on your facebook page in capital letters DO NOT INSTALL APP UPDATE IT DOES NOT WORK - come on get it together WW. Right now I am tracking points, but doing a combo points/calories using MFP.
  • msrootitooti
    msrootitooti Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Me... Me...

I left WW about 2 weeks ago after NO success on the new program. I had lost 30 pounds in two instances on past programs but have baby weight to lose that was not coming off with WW. I read some of their posts where a lot of small people had trouble with the new program. I was tired of paying for something that wasn't working and I was frustrated with so I dropped my membership and joined MFP on the suggestion of a friend. So far, I think the database is so much better than WW and so are the apps.