need to lose the weight...lacking motivation. help?

Options
I am surrounded by a very loving and supportive family but they do not understand the problems I have with my weight. I am clearly the largest in my family and recently smaller comments have been making it harder for me to control my eating due to stress.
I would be very grateful to have a supporter or a friend that can help me motivate myself and perhaps I could be a motivator and supporter for someone else.
Thank you!

Replies

• sheneema
    sheneema Posts: 15
    Options
    Count on me, support always makes things easier
  • Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Thu 07/12/12 06:15 PM

here are a few tips that I found to work for me:
    1. Make MFP your home page
    2. Log in EVERYDAY, read the message boards... post.. Keep your mind actively thinking about it.
    3. Don't try to change too much at once, Implement 1 change every week or so. Little tweeks over time seem to work best or at least better than butt load of change all at once
    4. Always be honest. We al fall on our way to the top, be honest, no one is judging you here... we all support eachother
    5. Keep trying new things until you find what works for you (It took me a while to find my plan and it works great for me but I wouldn't push it on anyone else)
    6. Its easier to lift weights than the burdens of carrying weight.
    7. take it one day at a time.
    8. Have a cheat day or meal, where you eat what you want
    9. Try to talk to yourself as if you are talking to your child or loved one. Often times the thing we need most is to be a better friend to ourselves.
    10. Smile. :)
    I don't wish people good luck, I never had it and don't need it! Luck doesn't get you through this... hard work does!
  • bluenose94
    Options
    it does indeed, thank you!
  • mishelnkiki1
    mishelnkiki1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    learn to let those comments fuel u. ill add u as well to help in all that i can. we can all do this. its just a matter of how badly we want it. we will all have down days. stressful days, days where we want to eat EVERYTHING in sight. its just a matter of knowing that it isnt worth it. again, im here if needed!
  • BarbaraBruno
    Options
    Those of you who have lost weight are an inspiration to me. I've been on MFP for 1 1/2 weeks & I'm already seeing results by just being aware of how much I eat every meal. I love this program, it keeps me accountable.
  • scottydewwannalosewt
    scottydewwannalosewt Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    This forum is a great way to meet other people that can provide you with the support that your going to need. It's good because the aid of this site surrounds you with the network of people that have the same common goal as you - losing weight.

Scott
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    This forum is a great way to meet other people that can provide you with the support that your going to need. It's good because the aid of this site surrounds you with the network of people that have the same common goal as you - losing weight.

Scott
    so true
  • Angelpacheco
    Options
    Reading these post & seeing the little ladybugs moving lower on the weight "track" is very motivational for me. I can't wait to see mine moving & I know it will.
    I know we can each do this! It's just consistency & believing in yourself. Easier said then done sometimes...
    Good luck everyone!
  • PAZlady
    PAZlady Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I read this on another board and don't remember who wrote it but it seems helpful to read and reread it every now and again.

Never tell yourself "I'm not motivated." That's not the real problem, unless
    you really don't want to lose weight or live a healthy lifestyle. As long as you
    do want these things, you have all the motivation you need.

It may be true that sometimes you don't want to exercise, or that you really
    want to stop and get fast food rather than cooking dinner. That's
    understandable, but it doesn't mean you're not motivated. It just means that you
    want two different and opposing things, and you have to make a decision.

Telling yourself that you lack motivation is just a way of denying that you
    really do have a choice. It makes the problem seem mysterious and out of your
    control, and it makes you feel less powerful than you really are, because you
    lack something (the motivation) you need. Not true!

In the long run you'll do better if you acknowledge that the choice is yours to
    make. You can choose either option, without making excuses or inventing a theory
    like "lack of motivation" to justify it. Then, pay attention to how you feel
    about the choice you made, and decide whether that is how you want to feel most
    of the time.

Being consistent does not mean being perfect. (There are going to be days when
    you decide to do something other than stick to your exercise and diet routine,
    and that's fine.) But becoming consistent does mean giving yourself the power to
    choose.
  • LJSchmitt
    LJSchmitt Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    You can count on me anytime. Add me.
  • Timmyttt418
    Timmyttt418 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    My 11 year old son says "boy Dad you are fat! Well that's enough motivation for me, and boy does that piss me off! Since, I have lost 25 pounds since June 28th he has eased up a little bit. Now, when i get back from the gym I tell him what my weight is somewhat proudly, because everytime that I go to the gym, which has been 20 out of the last 21 days, I am always 1 -2 pounds lighter and he says that he can't wait until he has a skinny dad like all of his friends! Who knew that MFP and going to the gym would be such a great combination. I wish that I would have found this website 5 years ago!
  • Zangpakto
    Zangpakto Posts: 336 Member
    Options

The more money spent the better, it can kick start your butt into gear as you don't want to feel like you threw away your money...

However aim for something reasonable.... If you haven't run in 10 years then for the love of god do not sign up to do a marathon straight away, it is possible sure, but you will likely hurt yourself before even getting to start. Go for a nice 5km race or 10km race for running, maybe a 15-30km race for cycling mountain bike, road racing maybe 40-50km...