Workout for Super Obese

Options
Hey guys -

I'm looking for advise on a fitness plan.

I have about 300 lbs to lose, and I really need a plan I can follow in the gym.

Does anyone have anything?

Thank you!

Replies

• holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Do you have a pool to use? Best exercise in the world with minimal stress on joints. Cycling in the gym. Low weights and as many reps as you can do comfortably. When I had knee problems I lifted 2.5lbs on each ankle first 10 reps on each side until I had done it 30 times total. I did that for 3 different days then I went to 40 reps- 10 on each side for three different days and then to 50. After that than I went to 5lbs on each side and started the process all over. I finally made it to 40 lbs. Granted my reasons were different but the formula still works. I'm sure others have better ideas. Don't get discouraged.:wink:
  • TooPuffyDuffy
    Options
    Thank you, Holly! I'm looking into swimming! :)
  • MalissaDC
    MalissaDC Posts: 123
    Options
    Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Lbs. Just try the 1 mile walk and do your best.

:) I did it before I started losing weight and sometimes couldn't keep up with it but it doesn't take too long and the 1 mile walk should take you about 20 min start to finish:) No jumping :)
  • jenniferlmartinez
    jenniferlmartinez Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Lbs. Just try the 1 mile walk and do your best.

:) I did it before I started losing weight and sometimes couldn't keep up with it but it doesn't take too long and the 1 mile walk should take you about 20 min start to finish:) No jumping :)

I agree with this!!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    the pool is definitely a good idea. you dont just have to swim either, you can do water aerobics and run laps in the pool too.
  • nettasaura
    nettasaura Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I second the pool as a first option because of the minimal stress on joints and then once you feel strong enough, Leslie Sansone dvd's are a great option because the routines are completely easy to modify for beginners.
  • emmeylou
    emmeylou Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I also completely agree with the pool! When I was at my highest weight (BMI of 47) I found that anything even for "beginners" was really, really difficult because my body just got in the way. Everything hurt and what just getting there was difficult! The only thing that I could do without "over"doing it was swimming. And you don't have to actually swim the whole time. Walk the length or the width of the pool and pump your arms back and forth. You actually get a lot of resistance that way.

At a gym itself, I would highly suggest you either purchase a single personal trainer session or ask for an "info" session. Most gyms give one or two complimentary sessions to help introduce you to the equipment, etc. They would be able to help you select the best options at that particular gym. OH! If you gym has a pool, they may offer aqua aerobics. That would be great! You could ease yourself into it if it is difficult at first.

Then I would also suggest the good old fashioned walking. Just get out of your home. You don't have to go far, just do what you can. You'll be amazed at how quickly you can do a little bit more here and there.

Good luck! You CAN do it!
  • subcult
    subcult Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    The pool is great as long as you don't have issues with being almost naked around strangers (I know I do). Walking in the nice cool evening is definitely a very good exercise and once you get up to a few miles you wont feel lie you worked hard but you'll still see results not that far from jogging. After a few weeks walking quickly with some 3 pound hand weights will also boost your calorie burning process. If you can find a walking buddy for half your walks it will be a good way to exercise and can be very fun.
  • hooperkay
    hooperkay Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I agree with the pool. You'll have less stress to knees and joints. A friend of mine who had 130 to lose goes every day and loves it. She's lost 76 just with watching what she eats and doing water aerobics. Her knees are really bad. One of the local hospitals has a fitness center with water aerobic classes. They are very reasonable. Good luck!
  • gonzang
    gonzang Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    The pool and walking are great! You could also try dancing to your favorite music at home. You are an inspiration, so keep at it!
  • paulaann67
    paulaann67 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Starting out I would try Leslie Sansone videos they can be done right I front of your tv & you can go at your own pace! Try walking outside at a pace you can do and after a few weeks increase it as you get stronger. I've heard the pool is good so give that a try. The best part of this is that you're committing to change your life! Feel free to add me I 'm on here every day & best of luck to you!:smile:
  • cartmail
    cartmail Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi try a hula hoop. It's not to hard to do and u can do it at home. Even simple things like stepping on and off a step